Ok, i have a 2004 Ibanez AXS32 (SG kinda thing) has 2 humbuckers, 3 way switch, 2 volume and 2 tone pots. I am not new to guitar playing, but feel pretty lost trying to put this all together so treat me like i have no clue and we will all be good!

I am trying to leave the neck pup as is (but putting in a new tone pot as the old one is not working), add a push pull as the volume pot for the bridge to coil split and upgrading the tone pot on the bridge as well.

My questions are:

1. I have seen several diagrams with conflicting information. A few of them (like from guitarelectronics.com and others) show the capacitor being wired from the tone pot (middle lug) to the volume pot (1st lug). Other sites (dimarzio and others) show the capacitor being wired from the 3rd lug on the tone pot to the ground and bridging the 2nd lug on the tone pot to the 1st lug on the volume.

supposedly, this is for the same wiring diagram.

Does it matter?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
hmm. I'd like to hear an answer as well. I blindly follow the wiring diagrams all the time and have done it both ways with no idea what the difference is myself.
Quote by cheesefries
hmm. I'd like to hear an answer as well. I blindly follow the wiring diagrams all the time and have done it both ways with no idea what the difference is myself.

that might be the answer.. no difference. i dunno.
You know, and to throw another one into the mix, the stock pots with stock pickups, had the cap wired from teh middle lug on the tone to the ground and bridged to vol with the 3rd lug.... i seriously need to understand this stuff a bit better!

EDIT: was searching and found this (mods please remove if i am not allowed to link to another site and sorry): http://www.guitargeek.com/chat/repair-11/how-wire-up-guitars-tone-control-106792/

Go to the 3rd post.... really helped me understand a LOT better.
Last edited by frettfreak10 at Feb 22, 2014,
All those little nuances of tone pot wiring don't matter. The tone circuit in a guitar is a cap and resistor in series, strapped across (parallel to) the main signal path. The resistor is variable to control the response.

I originally wrote this for another purpose but it may still be helpful here, in addition to the link above.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Invader+Jim/blog/131709/