Page 1 of 3
So there's been another outrage over dogs killing children/babies in the UK and wondered if we could a debate on it.

I can't help but think it's the owners at fault. I'm not the greatest fan of dogs or their owners but at their heart, dogs are essentially animals responding to stimulus. They may even feel threatened or jealous when a new baby comes into the house. However on't leave your loud, defenceless baby in a room with an uncontrollable, easily provoked animal. It just seems common sense.

I'm not sure if it happens in lower-class families more often but it also may have the factor of keeping an animal locked in a small house with a loud infant. Not good. Dogs like huskies are animals and should be treated like them and given space and lots of time outside.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I was attacked by a german shepard because threw a boot at it. It was my fault.

I was attacked by a japanese nikita because it got loose. It was the owners fault.

Shit happens I guess.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I have been attacked by dogs multiple times. **** dogs. Always at fault. Also **** people who own dogs. They deserve all the lawsuits they can get.
Quote by bradulator
I have been attacked by dogs multiple times. **** dogs. Always at fault. Also **** people who own dogs. They deserve all the lawsuits they can get.

I've been chased up a street by a dog. about 10-11am on a Sunday morning, walking my girlfriend home, and a dog runs out of a side road, looks at us. This is a giant ****ing great dane type huge dog up to my torso level not even stood up. It starts running at us. We start running and don't stop and have to jump into a shop to get away from it.

I've later seen the people walking the dog around and I can't help but want to give them a piece of my mind but no that dog is far too huge so **** that.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I'm going to seriously answer this now.

Quote by EndTheRapture51

I can't help but think it's the owners at fault. I'm not the greatest fan of dogs or their owners but at their heart, dogs are essentially animals responding to stimulus.

Aren't humans just responding to stimulus? That's a really bad way to word it. I've owned several dogs, and like humans, they'll **** with you if you **** with them.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
However on't leave your loud, defenceless baby in a room with an uncontrollable, easily provoked animal. It just seems common sense.

I can see why you wouldn't want to leave a baby alone with a dog. Easily provoked though? Not really. It all comes down to the whole nurture vs nature thing (yes, even for dogs) And all of the dogs I've ever owned have been trained and conditioned to be around people.

I'm not telling you my dogs don't get aggressive towards people or other dogs, but the only one who has problems with people knows to shut up and back off when you give her a few commands.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Dogs like huskies are animals and should be treated like them and given space and lots of time outside.

Bigger dogs (using this as an example instead of huskies) can also be kept indoors. They just need to be trained for it The size doesn't make them any more or less aggressive. Possibly more dangerous in certain situations, but that still boils down to training and loyalty imo.

Tl;dr. It's the owners fault if the kid is mauled by a dog they didn't take the time to care for.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
. We start running and don't stop and have to jump into a shop to get away from it.

What reason did you have to run
ayy lmao
Last edited by chookiecookie at Feb 22, 2014,
Quote by chookiecookie

What reason did you have to run

Because it started running towards us

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Because it started running towards us

So.

I guess experiences may differ. So this is basically anecdotal

That's really not a good reason to run. You gave it a reason to give chase. It might have just wanted to examine you and then walk away.

I used to take a back road to walk to my friends house where 7 dogs (yes, 7) unleashed dogs were (this is rural kentucky)

3 great pyrenees , 2 german shepherds and a rottweiler. 900 pounds of dog, charging me. And that's all that happened. they sniffed me ;_; the 3 pyrenees actually became my friends and in the end, became incredibly defensive of me. I had them follow me everywhere i walked and they wouldn't let anyone **** with me. 550 pounds of dog guarding your ass is an amazing feeling.

I was actually attacked by the other dogs twice though. German shepherds i have nothing but bad experiences with. I had to uppercut one and then i put a jacket between me and it's mouth so it couldn't bite me and the other time the other dogs defended me.

Dogs are weird

similar experience, i've also ran into packs of coyotes twice. They didn't really do anything ....

Tl;Dr = dogs kind of like me.
ayy lmao
I know animals can apparently sense fear, but when you've had a bad history of dogs it's hard to be rational around them. You think that this animal is going to run and jump onto you so you run, self preservation instinct. It may well have just wanted to sniff us but in the heat of the moment I'm not taking that risk.

Having a bad dog experience when you're small is definitely going to set off some red lights in your future. Being a small child walking around with jaws and razor sharp teeth and loud barks at a level equal to your face is really not a thing thing and I'm sure pretty sure that happened when I was younger with my uncles farm dog which put me off dogs for life. Heres another interesting anecdote:

my son, now 8, was run at by an uncontrolled rotweiller in the local park when he was4. he climbed on top of my head in his panic. i remained calm and calmed my son and stopped the dog getting close

add to this i was jumped on by a boxer that neighbours owned when i was 4, so i am not good round dogs, was not a great moment. i have taught myself to be calm round large dogs over time. my kid didn't have that chance
the owner, stood @ 50 yards away - who just let a large dog out of the back of a van without a lead in a park - just shout "its alright - he loves kids"
once the dog was restrained, were it not that i had a paniced 4 yr old to be concerned with, i was as close to killing another person as i have ever been
unless you have a commercial reason, a farmer or shepherd or police dog handler, you should not have a dog. and even then only under very tight regulation

i don't care if they are trained or they are lovely or you'd get lonely

your pastime has the potential to devastate others. get a budgie

note - my son is terrified of dogs now. all dogs. i have spent 4 yrs trying to help him, but he is damaged by it. so - forgive me for not giving a flying one if anyone disagrees

Either way, people are the ones with rights. And dogs should be kept on a lead if not on private property I think. Letting dogs run free and the owners insisting "oh they're just being friendly" is not the right way to go. It's not the dogs fault, they're just animals, but the owners who believe they are in telepathic and complete control of their dogs actions.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Post.

I can see it. I've had some fairly bad experiences that have left me terrified of certain things (obviously not dogs)

I can't make people un-scared of my dogs or any dogs. Mine just don't attack people

Most dog owners are horrible dicks though. Most dogs are either just locked in cages, left outside or completely ignored, and that is no way to treat something you took a responsibility to care for.

There's not a lot to be said here really. If you get a dog then try to learn a bit about it and training dogs. If you don't like dogs because you went through a bad experience with one, that's ok too. It doesn't change my mind on caring for one or letting it sleep in the same room with me. It doesn't make me love it any less.
ayy lmao
It's always the owners fault, especially with the recent cases. It's the equivalent of leaving a hot drink within reach of a baby/child, you don't do it because it's an accident waiting to happen.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Little dogs I don't have much of a problem with, you can kick them like a football. But it definitely is the owners fault. If you have a baby get rid of that monster. The only people that should have dogs are blind people, farmers and rescue/police sort of things. I hate dogs.
i dont like dogs, especially ones that are pretty strong physically, to **** around with kids or vice versa. responses to each other can be quite volatile. unless trained, dogs don't usually attack adults but with kids, it's harder to guess how they'd react.

if owners think their dog is good around kids thats fine. but i really do not have an iota of sympathy if things go south
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
A parent letting their baby near an animal is a negligent parent and that is a risk that they have chosen to take. Don't blame the dog, it's not like the dog can be reasoned with.
Some of these people get a dog , give it loads of attention then have a baby and forget about the dog so it gets jealous. This is the owners fault.

Some dogs are just untrained. Again, this is the owners fault.

The news stories also never say if the child provoked the dog, which is a possibility.
No small child should be left alone with an animal, no matter how well trained. These people aren't fit to be parents if they are that stupid.

On a slightly different note. Some dogs have been bred for hundreds of years to be working animals. they are very strong and energetic and they end up getting bought by morons who shut them indoors all day and wonder why they don't behave.
Some breeds make better pets than others and people should actually do some research before they buy them rather than basing their decision on appearance.
The fellow across the road from me has 3 great danes and a staffy. They both make a lot of noise, come running over, size you up and go about their day. It's in their nature to be like that, but he looks after them well. You can tell he gives them a lot of love, and they're as soft as my pocket as a result.
When I was a kid I got attacked by the dog of an aunt. It was violently barking, ran towards me, jumped me, pushed me to the ground etc. and the aunt took it off and said it was "playing". Never went there again without the dog being locked up in the garage.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Its both the dog's fault and the owner's fault. The idea that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners is bullshit.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
As a former pizza delivery guy, **** DOGS!
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by I.O.T.M
Its both the dog's fault and the owner's fault. The idea that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners is bullshit.

If you have a bad tempered dog then it's your responsibility as an owner to keep it away from people it might hurt. If you don't do that then you are a bad owner and it's 100% the owners fault.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

^and you have a responsibility to train it and teach them to control that as best they can.

Most often the owners. Staffies and Pit Bulls get a lot of bad press and association with certain groups of people but raised well the only harm they've ever done me is when one enthusiastically jumped on my lap for a cuddle and nutted my chin.

However, animals like dogs aren't stupid and are certainly autonomous, and some are naturally aggressive or shitty. Breeding may cause some breeds to be more susceptible to different brain patterns or aggression, or it may be an evolutionary factor. Part of it is that terriers were bred as hunting dogs, but to have strong jaws: they'd jump on their target, lock their jaws on, and not let go till it's down. The damage that'd do to a person is unparalleled by other breeds.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Dogs have different psychology to humans. Owners really ought to read a book before commiting to the responsiblity.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
You do hear stories about dogs who are perfectly docile all their life and then they suddenly bite someone, in which case there isn't really anything you could do to prevent it.

Usually however a dog will have a tendency towards violence, which the owner should be aware of, and any injuries caused by the owners neglect are outright the owner's fault.
Why does it matter who's fault it is?

Just don't let people have dogs and they'll stop killing children
Quote by OddOneOut
If you have a bad tempered dog then it's your responsibility as an owner to keep it away from people it might hurt. If you don't do that then you are a bad owner and it's 100% the owners fault.

You can't change the nature of the beast.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
owners aren't being punished enough for letting their dogs go rampant. one good criminal or civil case should be good enough deterrent for people not to go out and buy killing machines
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Feb 22, 2014,
I got attacked by a Dog when I was 3 (my fault) and I've hated them ever since.

It's really depends though if some old lady is walking a violent dog she loses control of and it kills a little kid it's the dog is at fault. It's in their nature and you can't really blame them for it.
No seriously, are all English speaking humans completely incapable of owning a dog? I always hear about these outrages about dogs killing anything they see. And yet this never seems to happen where I live.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
fine the owner and put the dog down
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
this thread is hilarious

i used to get high at a park and id always play with dogs when i went to leave

little did i know i was FLIRTING WITH CERTAIN DEATH
its not hard to raise a not shitty dog. every dog ive ever met has been really nice. maybe the owners to stop sucking dick at raising an animal
Owner's fault, 99% of the time.

Most typical example, Pit Bull or similar though looking dogs.
Their owners are mostly brainless douchebags who give themselves an attittude by buying a though ass dog, yet they work/are away from home 12-14hours a day. Dog is left alone in an apartment, they end up being aggressive because their idiotic owners don't train them and don't expose them to other people or other dogs.
They just want a though looking trophy dog in the same sense they would buy a monstrous pick up truck when they work and live in a city like Toronto or New York.

Same goes for weak minded kids who go out and buy a Husky because they look badass and wild. Dog is kept inside, without proper exercise. Any dog can be trained to live in an apartment, but that does not take away the fact dogs need to spend their energy. Some races need a strong willed and strict owner, or else their training is worthless, if you can't buy a race suitable for you, it's totally your fault if something happens afterwards.

TL;DR : Dogs are not to blame, owners who buy dogs without knowing how to train and care for them are in fault.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Last edited by Good_Lord at Feb 22, 2014,
Page 1 of 3