Hi there.

Has anybody out there any PRACTICAL experience with guitar cabs made of MDF? Is it good to put some padding in them? And if so: where? Just the back wall opposite to the speakers, or all walls? How does it change the sound in this particular case? I´ve read lots of discussions about leaving guitar cabs without padding - but those were cabs made of quality "tone wood", I mean like birch plywood and that kind of stuff.... But what about MDF? Does padding help in that case? I´ve read some theory about standing waves and stuff.... But how would that theory work in this practical case? Unfortunately I do not have the time and capacity for trial/error experiments, I need to hit the bullseye at first attempt.

Some more details about my case: the cab is a 2x12 unloaded Palmer with closed back, pretty solid, but still it´s MDF.... The speakers I´m about to pop in there: a Celestion G12-K100 and a Celestion BN12-300X - don´t get fooled by that bass speaker, I´m going to use the cab only for guitar, NOT for bass.

So please, share your practical experience with me, in case you have some.

Thanx a lot in advance!
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Feb 22, 2014,
why are you putting a bass speaker in a guitar amp
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
why are you putting a bass speaker in a guitar amp

I´m not putting it in the amp, I´m putting it in a cabinet separate from the amp.
And why?
I tried my guitar amp with my 1x12 closed back guitar cabinet and then, just for fun´s sake, with my closed back 4x10 bass cabinet. And came to a conslusion, that my perfect sound is halfway between them. So I´m getting a 2x12 cabinet with one guitar speaker and one bass speaker. That´s already decided. The only detail I´m not sure about, is the damping. My 1x12 guitar cab - birch plywood - was not damped at all. But my bass cabinet - plywood baffle and MDF body, is damped pretty heavily.

So...? To damp or not to damp? That is the question....
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
I gigged a fully mdf blackstar and marshall cab a few years back. They were completely dead cabs. It's nice when the cab resonates with what your playing and adds some thump but mdf doesn't add anything to the sound. Doubt padding will make any difference at all.

But my question is why do you think a 99 dbl guitar speaker is going to pair well with a 95 dbl 300 watt bass speaker? With such a difference I don't think you'll ever hear the bass speaker. just curious.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 22, 2014,
Quote by cheesefries
I gigged a fully mdf blackstar and marshall cab a few years back. They were completely dead cabs. It's nice when the cab resonates with what your playing and adds some thump but mdf doesn't add anything to the sound. Doubt padding will make any difference at all.

But my question is why do you think a 99 dbl guitar speaker is going to pair well with a 95 dbl bass speaker?

I´ve already asked, here and elswhere too, about that sensitivity mismatch, but nobody could give me a full yes or full no anwer. So I decided to give it a try - I still have a chance to return the bass speaker in case it wouldn´t work. But I hope it could - yes, there is a big mismatch in decibels, but those two speakers have a very different frequency response and the bass speaker could add a bit of low end.... My plan B, in case the dB mismatch would screw the sound up, is a 99 dB Celestion BN12-300S - but I first want to try the 300X version, because it´s way cheaper, at least here where I am....
Last edited by Airfish at Feb 22, 2014,
You can use that cab for bass also. The K100 will work fine as a bass speaker with out damaging it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You can use that cab for bass also. The K100 will work fine as a bass speaker with out damaging it

I don´t need to, I´m pretty satisfied with my Kustom DE410 bass cab.

And what do you think about that db mismatch of the K100 and the BN12?
Quote by Airfish
I don´t need to, I´m pretty satisfied with my Kustom DE410 bass cab.

And what do you think about that db mismatch of the K100 and the BN12?

The speaker with the higher sensitivity will over power the other when you have a >3dB difference. As to how much it will overpower it

Typically speakers are OK to pair when they are in a 3dB or less difference. But I have heard people mixing V30's and G12m25's which is a >3dB difference.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The speaker with the higher sensitivity will over power the other when you have a >3dB difference. As to how much it will overpower it

Typically speakers are OK to pair when they are in a 3dB or less difference. But I have heard people mixing V30's and G12m25's which is a >3dB difference.

....and with 4 dB mismatch - do you think the different frequency response of the two drivers could compensate for it?
Possibly, but I don't know.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So.... just came back here to share the result: the 94 dB bass speaker and the 99 dB guitar speaker work perfectly together in that cab. Without padding. I´m so satisfied with the result, that I´m going to get another one like that - just with a different guitar speaker: I was lucky to get a brand-new original UK Heritage Greenback for the price of a Chinese Greenback, and I´m going to combine it with the same BN12-300SX as in the first cab. The first one with the K100 is perfect from crunchy rock to hi-gain metal stuff, this second one should be more on the vintage side, with that added low-end. When the second one is ready too, I will be back again.