Hey guys!

I need help. A friend wants a guitar recommendation. Instead of giving him advice, I thought It'd be better to ask you guys about it (since he wants to spend a decent amount)

So, a

Budget? - 40K Rupees. Close to 650 dollars.

Favorite Artists? - Dhruv ghanekar ,R Prasanna, John Mclaughlin and Frank Gambale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e-sx_2pquA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

A video where the tone is what he wants.

The guy is crazy about Jazz Fusion, Jazz Rock and Indian.

Preferences? - fender start fingerboard ,25 inch scale length24 ferrets,active pickups ,coil tap,more neck n midlle pickup.

I just basically copied and pasted his reply to this question. I have to mention that he gets very caught up in features and I constantly have to tell him to steer away from unnecessary stuff (eg. Floyd Roses, Compensating Nuts).

And he hasn't used active pickups before. Seriously, I don't even like the musical style and I can tell that's wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I know that all the stuff is useful but he's more fixated on bling than tone so I'm leaving this question open. Don't take these requirements as absolute.

New or Used? - New, because the Indian used market is really bad.

Location? - India. Goa to be exact.

Current Gear? - Marshall mg 10 cd

I had recommended that he buy the Epiphone Dot since it was the only one available in Goa which suited his sound.

Any thoughts?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, I judge people based on how similar they are to me.
The greater the similarity, the more of a total ****ing **** they are.

Metal is like an apple. Everything is good except for the core
Well, active pickups were actually invented for Jazz, so if he gets the right ones and uses them properly, they should be just fine. Overall, you're looking for good clean tones, and you'll find jazz cats using passive singlecoils, P90s, and HBs as well as actives, depending on their tastes.

I was going to suggest something by Godin. But even though there is at least one dealer in India, I don't think the ones I'd recommend would be in the price range.
http://godinguitars.com/dealerlistintl.htm

That all said, Dots are decent guitars, and a good platform for modification/upgrade. Find a good one and get some better pickups, and your buddy could be happy for years to come.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 22, 2014,
guy in vid is playing a Les Paul style guitar so seems like the route to go. don't count on getting a great tone out of an MG though.
Thanks guys! I'll relay your replies!

On a side note: I really didn't know that Actives were created for Jazz. As per whatever I've heard over the years from players, actives supposedly really suck out the warmth out of your tone and they're the best for mostly high gain distortion.

Well, you learn something new everyday :-p
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, I judge people based on how similar they are to me.
The greater the similarity, the more of a total ****ing **** they are.

Metal is like an apple. Everything is good except for the core
Last edited by shawnkenneth at Feb 23, 2014,
It all depends on how you use them. I'm not a fan, personally, but actives do come in different styles, different voicings.

For example, David Gilmour of Pink Floyd fame has at least one of his main guitars fitted with a trio of singlecoil-size actives by EMG. Few would argue with the quality of his tone.

You can even buy premiered pickguards with his style of pickup. And Fernandes has a guitar devoted to them as well:

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/retrorocket/75-retrorocket-deluxe-dg.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 23, 2014,
Stay away from active pickups, completely unnecessary and a waste of money for that budget.

Active pickups are not at all common for electric jazz guitar players ( or guitar players period). I've never heard of a single jazz guitar that had them ( if someone has actual examples , then please provide some to satisfy my curiosity).

Passive pickups are the norm on electric guitar and he should focus his money on getting a decent sounding instrument in his price range without money-wasting bells and whistles.
Quote by reverb66
Stay away from active pickups, completely unnecessary and a waste of money for that budget.

Active pickups are not at all common for electric jazz guitar players ( or guitar players period). I've never heard of a single jazz guitar that had them ( if someone has actual examples , then please provide some to satisfy my curiosity).

Passive pickups are the norm on electric guitar and he should focus his money on getting a decent sounding instrument in his price range without money-wasting bells and whistles.

They're not common, but they do exist. See Larry Carlton and Tuck Andress. And even though David Gilmour isn't a jazz guitarist, his EMGs don't seem to hurt his tone any.

Also:
http://www.biggertone.com/biggertone/home.html
http://www.emgpickups.com/bass/j-models/active/jset.html

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wEuUfR_HQz4

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 7, 2014,
I'd go for a super strat with a soloist neck. Ie Jackson/Ibanez/Charvel/Washburn. Probably a single coil in the neck instead of a humbucker. Actives/passives doesn't really matter, passives have more variety to choose from. EMgs can sound pretty good for clean tones with the right setup but they're not close to a well made hand wound passive.