Hi, I have a Washburn wi66 pro F (with SD pickups) on which I play mostly GnR, VR, Slash stuff with some Muse and other rock thrown in. I like to play at modest bedroom volumes which I do through a Yamaha THR (can't decide if I like this amp or not!)

So, playing more in the recent 6 months or so have been thinking about an upgrade. The Vintage AFD paradise gets a lot of love on t'net but at £300 retail can it be any better than my Washburn.

Do I need to go up say a Gibbo LP Studio to feel the improvement? Is there any other brand LP I should look into?

What about my amp? Upgrade to a Slash SL-5?

Or am I just making excuses for my crap playing and should practice more and stop GaS-zing over stuff on t'web??!!!

Thanks,

DM
You might want to list budget, location, and willing to buy new or used gear. Crumbs chief!
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by Dangermouse1968

(a) So, playing more in the recent 6 months or so have been thinking about an upgrade. The Vintage AFD paradise gets a lot of love on t'net but at £300 retail can it be any better than my Washburn.

(b) Do I need to go up say a Gibbo LP Studio to feel the improvement? Is there any other brand LP I should look into?

(c) What about my amp? Upgrade to a Slash SL-5?

(d) Or am I just making excuses for my crap playing and should practice more and stop GaS-zing over stuff on t'web??!!!

Thanks,

DM

(a) I haven't tried that specific model, but based on the vintages I have tried, I doubt it. I'd expect your washburn to be at least as good as any vintage.

(b) Maybe. The Japanese copies are the obvious thing, things like Tokai etc. (beware, the cheaper ones aren't MIJ and aren't as good and, like the Vintage, likely to be no better than your Washburn). Only problem is with the strong yen/weak pound they're nowhere near as good value as they used to be and (new anyway) a gibson lp studio might be no more money. Godin has some LP-type models, but again the price is the thing, it's dependent on coming across a deal. I've seen some good deals on fretking blue labels recently at around the £300 mark new (a step up from vintage) but I'm not sure I've seen any LP-type models. It's been mainly the more Fendery models at those prices.

(c) depends on the type of tone you're after. I haven't tried it but I think matt around here got one of those and said it was actually pretty good... but it's quite dear, as well, not to mention its low wattage means it's a one-trick pony (and will still likely be too loyd for home use if you want to really crank it). there are really good deals on the jet city stuff at the moment (on either thomann or the UK jet city online store) so that might be worth considering- they're a little smoother- and more modern-sounding than marshalls, but for the price they're hard to beat. and they're not a million miles away from the type of tone I assume you're after if you like slash... it's not like buying a fender twin or something like that, they do a nice 80s-style high gain tube distortion type of tone which, while maybe not 100% authentic, will certainly work for guns n roses type music.

(d) talk like that around here might get you sectioned
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 22, 2014,
Quote by Blackfire.
You might want to list budget, location, and willing to buy new or used gear. Crumbs chief!

that

otherwise: you don't really need to buy a $1k+ guitar to feel an improvement, just go to your local store and try out as many guitars as you can and see if you can find something that you really like. I personally always concentrate on how the guitar feels in my hands and how comfortable it is to play. You can always swap out the pickups if you want different sound.
I guess you want an LP-style guitar, there isn't really that much to choose from at your price level. You can check out something from epiphone, LTD, maybe chapman guitar and see if you like any of them. You can also buy used, which would widen the range of guitars a bit, just check out your local ads and see if you can find something you like.

Amp wise - depends on how much you like/dislike the tone you're getting. Most of the actual tone come from the amp you're using, so if you just want to sound different, it's probably better to get a new amp. If you however want to get a different 'feel', you will need to get a new guitar.

my best advice: I'd try to get bigger budget. Both your amp and the guitar seem to be decent, so unless you really hate one of them, try to get more money. And if you want a cheap way to spice things up, you can try out some distortion pedal or something along those lines.
Thanks for your quick responses. I live near Cambridge where we have a great PMT store. I was in there Friday lunch time where they have a row of about 20 Gibson LPs averaging about £1500 each and one in the cabinet at £5700!!!!

They had a studio for around £6-700 and they have a Yamaha 611 for about the same price which I like and have seen quite a lot of on YouTube (although not really LP-alike!).

In summer when I get my bonus these would be within reach or an amp around the same cost (e.g. Sl5).

I'll probably forget about the vintage then, there is one on eBay nearby at £150 at the moment though.