Hey guys, I've never had the cash or chance for lessons, and I'm very flawed in this and need some good help.

My problem is understanding scales and composing or improvising solos.

I've read quite a few lessons here, but most of them just explain the scale, not much more, my issue is with something else, and it's understanding how to apply those scales.

Once I know the key of a song, and know how to play on some major and minor scales, how do I know which one to use?

Once I've got the key, can I play any pentatonic major/minor of any note within the key? (For now I'm limiting myself to those)

For example, let's say I have Angie, I think it's in a minor.

Now, does that mean I can use any minor pentatonic of any of the notes in the key of a minor? Or am I mistaken?

As I said, I am severely flawed in this, I have no understanding of this, and I can't find any proper lesson, and I would really like to understand it.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Not too sure about mixing minor and major pentatonic scales but for soloing using any scale you'll find scale hopscotch very handy. Stops you playing from box to box and makes it very easy to play up and down the neck. There's a video of the guy explaining things at the link at the beginning of the article.
Ok thanks I'll check it out.
But it's not mixing minor and Major, I just have no clue as to where to use certain scales.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
So if its in A minor, you can very well use any note in the key of A natural minor (there's a couple different minors). The pentatonic minor only use five notes of the minor scale as opposed to the natural minor's 7. Although you can use A natural minor there's many other scales you can use depending on the sound you're really looking for, but really I don't think there's anything wrong just starting and using pentatonic minor of it first to get yourself into constructing basic melodies, then you move to using more complex scales
Yup, that's what I'm doing at the moment. I'm just using Pentatonic Minor scales, once I get the hang of that I'm going to be looking at Pentatonic Major and after that mixing the two. That hopscotch method is great for building a scale map over the entire neck. And of course the more you play across the neck the better because you stop thinking of strings and frets and start thinking of the sound of the notes due to ear training.

I'm still a long way away from doing that though, I only discovered this hopscotch method yesterday so I still have this box to box mentality, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to take me long to adjust my thinking.
I started out learning pentatonic scales learn the 5 box shapes If you learn them They cover the major and minor C major and A minor have the same box shape with notes every major will have a relative minor . If i was going to start learning now i would start with the natural major /minor for me there so much more you can do with this scale but pentatonic might give you what you are looking for .