This is a guitar I bought on eBay, and it arrived yesterday. I like Lace's pickups and had always been curious about their guitars. This one has a Lace Holy Grail in the neck position, Lace Sensor Hot Gold in the middle, and a Lace Alumitone in the bridge.
Last edited by CalicoSkies at Feb 22, 2014,
HNGD!

But...tell us more man- she's a looker, but can she sing?

And what effect does the variety of different pickups have on its tones?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 22, 2014,
yeah i am interested in the pups. seems like you have the full range of technology from lace. whats the rundown?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think this is a decent of pickups. Each pickup sounds good on its own, and the #2 and #4 positions sound good as well, with some of the Strat quack. I don't think these pickups are as bright/glassy as other Strat pickups, as they seem to have more mid-range/bass, but they still sound fairly good. Definitely suited to blues & rock, I think. I've used Holy Grails and Lace Sensor Gold pickups on other guitars and in general I like how they sound. I think the Hot Gold especially sounds fairly good, and I'm surprised the Alumitone humbucker seems to have fairly high output. The Alumitone has quite a punch.

The previous owner said he bought this guitar at a NAMM event. I have a feeling this model may have been put together as a showcase for Lace pickups.
Quote by CalicoSkies

The previous owner said he bought this guitar at a NAMM event. I have a feeling this model may have been put together as a showcase for Lace pickups.

That's pretty plausible...you might have a unique little axe, there!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

What a funny looking humbucker cover

Happy NGD anyway, that axe looks sweeeet!
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
That's no cover, that's the way Alumitones look!

How is the bridge pup? All of them are supposed to be very quiet. I had sensors on my old strat+ they were nice, but not so much bite.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
That's no cover, that's the way Alumitones look!
Well that's what they look because they use that cover.

Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Tempoe
How is the bridge pup? All of them are supposed to be very quiet. I had sensors on my old strat+ they were nice, but not so much bite.

The bridge pickup actually has quite a bit of bite. I was surprised.
Quote by Spambot_2
Well that's what they look because they use that cover.

It's not a cover. You're looking at the entire pickup.

Luthier Rick Toone does a customized variant of it, and has pix of his fabrication process that illustrate this:

http://www.ricktoone.com/2009/06/lace-alumitone.html

http://toone.typepad.com/.a/6a00e39826b2898833011571403cea970b-popup
http://toone.typepad.com/.a/6a00e39826b28988330115704b2456970c-popup

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 22, 2014,
^ ow, sorry and thank you!

Well that's a funny looking pickup then :P
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
They're odd...but with their own charms.

They maybe too bulky for Rick Toone's designs, but those things are feather-light. Swapping out a set will cut a pound or so off your guitar. They're noiseless, regardless of size.* I have not heard a cleaner passive pickup.

* I say size because all Alumitones are fundamentally identical in design and thus, very similar in tonal characteristics within a subtype (Alumitones, Deathbuckers, Alumi90s, etc.).

The Alumitone seems to be a fairly unique design. There are no coverings on the upper & lower parts, so you can see through into the guitar:

I took the pickguard off and had a look at the the pickups, and I was surprised how simple in design the Alumitone appears to be. This is the underside of an Alumitone humbucker (not my picture):