Tech specs:
-50 watts
-Pair of 6L6 power tubes
-5 12AX7 preamp tubes
-Single 12" Eminence-designed speaker
-2 channels, crunch and overdrive, switchable ONLY with the footswitch
-3 band EQ, depth and presence, gain and master volume controls for each channel

I traded out 2 of the stock preamp tubes for 2 of the JJs I had in my Hot Rod Deluxe. I don't know how much that helped, but I'm happy with how it sounds now so I'll go ahead and leave that be

It arrived with the god-awful 333 logo already broken, so that came off pretty quickly

I expected to either:
1. Flip this amp and make a couple hundred bucks, or ,
2. Keep it if the distortion channel sounded better than the Wampler Triple Wreck/Hot Rod Deluxe combo I've been using, and get by using worse cleans from the Jet City in exchange for having better distortion.

But this all changed when I started playing through it.

As a disclaimer, I have no experience with any other Jet City amp or the Soldano SLO, the acclaimed boutique father of these mass-produced rock boxes. I've only been going off what I've read and heard over the internet.

After a fair amount of tweaking, I don't think the overdrive channel is my cup of tea. Even with the treble and presence all the way down, there's always the characteristic fizzy top end of the SLO that I don't like in a high gain tone. However, for mid-gain bluesy tones (though I don't use them very often) this amp has delicious harmonics that sound really sweet, and the high end isn't as overbearing as it is with higher gain settings. This amp doesn't have my ideal tone... on its own, that is.

The crunch/clean channel is what really shocked me, and it's the reason I'm keeping this amp. The general impression I got from people who have played these amps before was that the cleans were OK, but this amp was built for distortion. Without a doubt, the JCA5012C has clean tones that sound as-good-if-not-better than my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and the additional 10W of headroom surprised me in how much louder it can be while remaining clean. The cleans are fantastic, the volume pot isn't unbearably touchy, the overdrive channel has an imaginable use, I got it brand new for $100 less than what I got the used HRD for... I think I've found myself a replacement

Currently, my rig is basically the same as it was with the HRD; my distortion comes from a Wampler Triple Wreck, with a DigiTech Bad Monkey in front of that to tighten things up, but now with the Jet City as the clean platform. The Triple Wreck interacts with the Jet City quite differently from how it does with the HRD. I have to keep the preamp gain low (~1.5) to keep the cleans squeaky clean, so I compensate by running the master volume pretty high, which introduces some pretty awesome compression from the power section (something I couldn't do with the single volume HRD.) Kicking on the Triple Wreck in front of that, I'm pushing the preamp harder and getting the aforementioned delicious harmonics, plus the squishy compression from the power section, and instead of the fizzy-sounding distortion of the OD channel on the JCA, it's the awesome distortion sound I've been using for the past couple years, just with a better dynamic response.

I'll post clips once my SG gets back from the shop with new pickups
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Last edited by bassmastamitch at Jun 29, 2014,
HNAD, and great review!

I sort of suprised at your comments about the clean channel tho. I'm defiantly not one of those guys who think's its rubbish (I actaully usually praise it), but I don't think it is as clean as a HRD, IMO. I can keep my 50H clean, as long as I keep the pre-gain below 3. After 3, it starts to breakup pretty quick.

Even with the pre-gain set at 2, I'm able to achive band practice volumes no trouble ( the post gain is usually set yo about 6ish for me). I do think the amp is pretty clean at that point, but like I said I'd take a fender clean, or my AC30's over it any day, but hey, to each their own!

Enjoy and welcome to the Jet City club!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Feb 22, 2014,
I dont remember anyone calling the cleans rubbish either. Its just the channel 1 is crunch channel that cleans up with gain turned down. Only question mark is if there enough clean headroom for gigging situations when cleaned up that way.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
^^ Sorry, but thats what I meant by calling it rubbish

Like I said, I can keep my pretty damn clean by leaving the pre at 2 and post around 6ish. I've never been in a situation in my last 20 or so gigs where I had to put it past that live, or at practice.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
HNAD, and great review!

I sort of suprised at your comments about the clean channel tho. I'm defiantly not one of those guys who think's its rubbish (I actaully usually praise it), but I don't think it is as clean as a HRD, IMO. I can keep my 50H clean, as long as I keep the pre-gain below 3. After 3, it starts to breakup pretty quick.

Even with the pre-gain set at 2, I'm able to achive band practice volumes no trouble ( the post gain is usually set yo about 6ish for me). I do think the amp is pretty clean at that point, but like I said I'd take a fender clean, or my AC30's over it any day, but hey, to each their own!

Enjoy and welcome to the Jet City club!

Thanks!

I think a lot of the comments about the crunch channel not having a lot of headroom comes from peoples' experiences with the 20W, which seems to be more popular than the higher wattage counterparts, my mistake. Both the HRD and the JCA can remain clean at gigging volumes, but having gain & master controls on the JCA instead of an "all-in-one" as the HRD has makes it so I can push the power section alone instead of it and the preamp simultaneously. I'll have to make a comparison test before I sell the HRD.

Quote by Taz9
Hnad !

YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
HNAD! I think that crunch channel would be very interesting as a pedal platform. I personally love the OD Chan. I feel it's less trebly than your standard overdriven Marshall but its probably quite different than the Triple Wreck, which you like. I wonder which amp you'll stick with
Nice, I really want a JCA100HDM in the future. I love the crunch tones on these amps. Not to thrilled on the cleans but that's not the reason I'd buy it so not an issue. I'm not saying they are bad, just not anything special.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Congrats! I posted the link to the $300 sale in 11 separate threads and so far, I know of only 2 who took advantage.

BTW, my SLO doesn't have the fizzy top end you referenced above. A Telefunken is a very nice tube with a lot of treble that isn't harsh in the V1. Leave the rest of the inexpensive Chinese preamps which are fine, IMO. If you need it to be darker, check out the RFT and Tungsram tubes.
Quote by Ippon
Congrats! I posted the link to the $300 sale in 11 separate threads and so far, I know of only 2 who took advantage.

BTW, my SLO doesn't have the fizzy top end you referenced above. A Telefunken is a very nice tube with a lot of treble that isn't harsh in the V1. Leave the rest of the inexpensive Chinese preamps which are fine, IMO. If you need it to be darker, check out the RFT and Tungsram tubes.

Not trying to hyjack the thread, but what do you use in your SLO tube wise?

I have mostly stock chinese tubes in the preamp, except for tungsols in V1 and V2, and JJ 6l6.

I didn't find much difference when I put the JJ PT's in, but when I initally re-tube with all JJ preamps, I was digusted with the tone I got. Wayy to muddy. Like someone threw a thick blanket over my cab. Thats why I went back to the stock el chepos. I put the tungsols in becasue they sounded very crisp.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
HNAD!!! Hard to beat that amp at that price point.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by red.guitar

I have mostly stock chinese tubes in the preamp, except for tungsols in V1 and V2, and JJ 6l6.

I didn't find much difference when I put the JJ PT's in, but when I initally re-tube with all JJ preamps, I was digusted with the tone I got. Wayy to muddy. Like someone threw a thick blanket over my cab. Thats why I went back to the stock el chepos. I put the tungsols in becasue they sounded very crisp.

Yea, JJs are the go to recommendations for preamps here and they're fine. I have a Laney VH100R and the original owner said the tubes were stock. Like the previous VH100R, it was trebly to the point of being harsh, The Telefunken in V1 kept the nice treble and removed the harshness. The Tungsrams and RFTs in the other slots made the low Mid and Low more pronounced, darker.

With the Bogner Ecstasy and Uberschall Twin Jets, I've kept them stock with the cheap Chinese preamp tubes. The Bogner sub-forum over at RT has a lot of preamp tweaks to highlight certain tone requirements; but, as is, the Uberschall is

I believe Matt has kept his 100B stock.

Quote by red.guitar

If my experience with Valveking is any use I also did not like all JJ on preamps. Too dark. But Tungsold in V1 and JJ the rest was a good combo.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
We told a squillion people to buy this amp while they were selling so cheaply. Good to see at least one person scored one.

HNAD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MaaZeus
If my experience with Valveking is any use I also did not like all JJ on preamps. Too dark. But Tungsold in V1 and JJ the rest was a good combo.

I agree, tungsol in V1 brightens it up nicely, assuming the V1 slot on a Jet City effects the clean channel like it does a Valveking. I stopped using JJ's altogether, compared to the new mullards, Sovtek, or the Genelex tubes, way better for the gain stage in my opinion.

Nice score though man, it's a shame that the gain stage is only foot pedal selectable. Now, tear it apart and mod the hell out of it.
Nice score, that was an awesome deal! HNAD
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
You can reduce the fizziness (or at least make it sound more pleasant) by replacing the shitty Chinese tubes that come with it. A warmer tube like JJ's or new production Mullards tend to be warmer sounding. Even a more balanced tube like a new production Tung-Sol would help as those Chinese tubes are usually nothing but bright. I had the same issue with a JCA2112RC and every tube I tried (Tung-Sol, Mullard, Sovtek LPS, JJ 803s) made a huge improvement.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Feb 23, 2014,
The later Chinese ones are ok actually, unfortunately what Shuguang supply as OEM components all seem to be old style 7th generation rubbish. You can tell by the code 12AX7A is 7th, 12AX7B are 8th, 12AX7C are 9th gen. The 12AX7C is actually quite a nice little tube.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The later Chinese ones are ok actually, unfortunately what Shuguang supply as OEM components all seem to be old style 7th generation rubbish. You can tell by the code 12AX7A is 7th, 12AX7B are 8th, 12AX7C are 9th gen. The 12AX7C is actually quite a nice little tube.

Thats is some super useful info!

I got to admit, I like the stock Shuguang's wayyy better than the new JJ's I tried in it and slightly better than some used tungsols I put in.

I'll have to check when I get home what gen my chinese ones are. I tink they're 12ax7a's tho.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by Cathbard

My Jet City was loaded with 12AX7A's. No bottom end, exaggerated top end, and muddy as hell (tons of harmonics, but not in a good way).
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
awesome

if it's too fizzy try swapping the speaker for an eminence v12
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I never take my gain on the OD channel passed around 9 O clock. It's already really gainy at that point, and I hit it with an od pedal up front if I ever need it heavier. I find that it stops the amp from getting mushy, I never have any "fizz" issues.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Dave_Mc
awesome

if it's too fizzy try swapping the speaker for an eminence v12

Yeah the stock speaker is also bit harsh.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Nice score. HNAD!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Thanks for the advice guys, but the fizzy top end isn't the only thing I dislike about the OD channel. Comparatively, the Triple Wreck has a smoother gain structure and emphasized midrange that I much prefer, and if it sounds good, I don't want to change anything. Plus I'm afraid to change the JJs I already have in the preamp to something even darker because that would risk messing up the sound of the clean channel and how the Triple Wreck interacts with it. It's alright; I've been using a Hot Rod Deluxe, I'm used to ignoring the OD channel
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
^ that's fair enough, it's your call. and you made a good point about the clean channel, if you try to make the thing too dark there's still no guarantee you'll like the od channel but it might kill your cleans.

Quote by MaaZeus
Yeah the stock speaker is also bit harsh.

yeah
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The 9th Gen Shuguang preamps are very nice and come stock in a lot of high gain amps but are meh in some. They're not "fizzy" in Uberschalls (most revs), Herbert and VH4, Dual and Triple Recs, Soldanos, etc. Look for Groove Tubes GT-12AX7C where the JJs don't work well (too dark, noisy, etc.).

Edit: Like this http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GT12AX7C/
Quote by bassmastamitch
It's alright; I've been using a Hot Rod Deluxe, I'm used to ignoring the OD channel

Nice score man. Love to hear some clips

And what's wrong with the HRD drive channel? Sounded awesome through my Marshall 4x10. Instant Weezer tone
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
HNAD, and welcome to the Jet City club!
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
HNAD and welcome to the JC Club. I've been rocking a 22H through a 112 v30 cab for the last 3 months and love it, both clean and dirty!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Thanks everyone!

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
And what's wrong with the HRD drive channel? Sounded awesome through my Marshall 4x10. Instant Weezer tone

YouTube

Facebook
Twitter