Hey folks,
So I'll admit, I went into this project kind of half-cocked and am now in need of some advice.

The setup:
I got a crappy old Squier Strat off my buddy for 50 bucks with the goal of stripping off all the old hardware and replacing them with good new parts. To be fair, I did a solid job with most everything...except the wiring.

I'm one of those weirdos who wants a simple, bare-bones guitar, with one pickup and one volume knob. That said, I purchased a custom pickguard routed for one knob and just the bridge single coil, with a 250 pot, and a Seymour-Duncan Hot Rail pickup to go with it. I had no problem mounting everything into the proper place, but I noticed fairly early on that because I no longer have a selector switch, one of the wires (the black one) on the pickup has nothing to connect to any longer.

Being a dumb newbie, I tried soldering it to the pot with the green and bare wires (the remaining red and white ones I soldered together separately and taped off, as per the included diagram). As far as I can tell, I was able to connect the ground and the input jack correctly.

Now when I strung her up and plugged her in, I only got feedback and no actual sound from the strings. Obviously I made a boo-boo. Let me first say that this is my first time trying this kind of thing and furthermore my first time using a soldering iron, so it could just be shotty work on my part. That said, I want to learn how to do this myself, and would rather not take it into a shop for proper repairs unless I absolutely have to.

Any thoughts as to where I went wrong? I'd appreciate any and all help I can get.

Ironically, half the reason I went for the one-pickup/one-knob option was because I thought it would make things easier for me :P
The black one should have gone directly to the volume pot. That's the "hot" output from the pickup. The green/bare both go ground and the red/white are soldered together.

I recommend finding a wiring diagram (maybe from here : http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams.1_pickup_guitar_wiring_diagrams/) and figuring it out before randomly soldering things together.

Good thing it's hard to break a guitar through bad wiring.
Hey preacher, thanks for that. Right as you replied, I had been looking at more diagrams and had done just that. It works! Thanks again