Having recently acquired an HSH guitar, I wondered why one shouldn't be able to just go from Strat to Les Paul wiring with the flick of a switch. I devised this setup using one DPDT and the original 5-way switch. It even has an additional Tele-like neck+bridge setting! I would dare to say these are the 9 most useful settings, using a bare minimum of common parts. (Sorry for the schematic-style layout; I'll make a wirogram when my MS Paint skills improve.)
Attachments:
wiring2.png
It is indeed verified; I am currently running it in my Ibanez RG450M with a Radio Shack mini-toggle. In my current running of the circuit, the quack settings aren't hum-cancelling, but I believe that is due to the outer coils being of the same polarity as the mid pickup in this particular model.
excellent I always think the bridge and neck humbuckers together are the only thing really missing from the HSH setup. The tele type one is the icing on the cake.

being super-critical (and I'm iffy on electronics, this may well just not be possible), is there any way you could make the neck humbucker alone swap positions with the neck single coil alone? that's about the only slight negative thing i can see with that layout (and that's personal preference). but excellent work EDIT: or better yet, have the two humbuckers together in the mid position, and the neck humbucker where the switch would normally be for the neck humbucker and then the two single coil settings in position 2+4. That'd be totally perfect, though I suspect not possible without making the wiring job way more complex (if it's even possible at all).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 23, 2014,
Why thank you, Dave! I like to think of the lower half as being a Tele, with the bridge pickup replaced by a Les Paul. =P I'll admit the layout is a bit counter-intuitive, but it really is a result of the circuit: to get neck(H) + bridge(H) together, the switch is basically swapping the middle single coil with the neck humbucker. With a sufficient number of components, no layout is impossible, but I really doubt you can get more than this with just a DPDT and standard 5-way. (I am cheap, and refuse to pay more than $5 for the sounds of 3 guitars.) What you want would probably require a super-switch.
Thanks Yeah I figured it'd be awkward. As you said, even managing it the way you have with fairly basic components deserves a good deal of credit. And it's debatable whether doing something far fancier only to get a slight improvement is worth it.

Nice work
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
EDIT: Never mind, the revision didn't work. The first one is confirmed though and works fine!
Last edited by ExplodingHat at Feb 28, 2014,