Been playing guitar for just over a year now and have an acoustic and an electric. The electric is a rebranded tokai les Paul and around the same quality and sound
of an epiphone les Paul. I've been really happy with it but just can't seem to get the tones I want out of it. I play a bit of everything but mainly Indy/alternative rock and it really only satisfies while I'm playing it through the bridge pick up with distortion. With distortion on through any other of the pickups you barely realise you've got it on. My friend has a vintage les Paul and I can't say I like the tone of that one either. I'm playing through a fender mustang v2 which I've been very happy with. My question is what next? I'm tempted to try out some strats etc or teles. I've seen the classic vibe squires which I like the look of. I've also seen the g-400 pro sg epiphone which again looks a nice bit of kit. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm still pretty inexperienced. Thank-you.
What is your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Have you considered (instead of buying a new guitar) maybe getting a good set of Duncans or Dimarzios & putting them in your Tokai & then putting the money you have left over towards a new amp? I know you said you like your Mustang, and they're very good at what they do, but there's very little room to really effectively shape your tone with modelling amps like that. It would depend on your budget, but there are some killer amps (tube amps at that) out there for very reasonable prices & you might be surprised how much difference a quality set of pickups in a cheap guitar can make. That's just what I'd consider doing in your situation
If you said you didn't like your friend's Les Paul, I think you are not looking for LP kind of tones. So don't buy an LP. Go and try Strats and Teles.

Also, SG is pretty much the same as LP. It will sound pretty similar.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Thanks for the advice. My budget is around £350. I'm left handed so I have less to choose from 😔. I'll look into putting some different pickups on it and look into the teles/strats.
Quote by Guitarplayer21d
Thanks for the advice. My budget is around £350. I'm left handed so I have less to choose from 😔. I'll look into putting some different pickups on it and look into the teles/strats.

putting new pups in won't get you much of a change due to the nature of modeling amps. they really don't see different pickups until you get into the high end stuff. my strats have different pups and through my tube amps they sound noticeable different. through my POD not at all different.

an idea thqat may sound kinda crazy but hear me out. have you considered playing righty> I'm left handed as well and believe me you think you have few options now back when I started (late 70s) there were no cheap options. flipped guitars ala Hendrix bbut that kinda sucked. after a year of that I said **** it and started from scratch playing righty. being able to finger with my dominant hand helped a lot and teaching my left right hand to pick etc not all that hard. just a thought.
Quote by monwobobbo
putting new pups in won't get you much of a change due to the nature of modeling amps. they really don't see different pickups until you get into the high end stuff. my strats have different pups and through my tube amps they sound noticeable different. through my POD not at all different.

an idea thqat may sound kinda crazy but hear me out. have you considered playing righty> I'm left handed as well and believe me you think you have few options now back when I started (late 70s) there were no cheap options. flipped guitars ala Hendrix bbut that kinda sucked. after a year of that I said **** it and started from scratch playing righty. being able to finger with my dominant hand helped a lot and teaching my left right hand to pick etc not all that hard. just a thought.

Yes you will be able to hear a difference between different pickups. My Epiphone Les Paul and Charvel sounded different through my Micro Cube. I could also notice a clear difference when playing through my RP355 multi FX pedal. But humbuckers will sound like humbuckers. The change in tone will be there but it's a similar kind of sound. When you change pickups you are usually talking about fine tweaking the sound. But if you try different pickup types, there will be more difference. So maybe just go and try a Strat or Tele and see what you like. Or maybe first watch some Strat vs LP videos to hear the differences.

I don't know if I would start playing right handed if I had been playing left handed for a year. Of course you could always try.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Kind of hard to believe you can't find a decent distorted tone with a humbucker guitar and a Mustang II. I'm a big fan of the Mustang line (have a M3 and a Floor myself), and while I don't usually play with high gain, it's there if you look for it. Have you tried tweeking the presets using the FUSE software? You might also try raising the height of your pickups. Humbucker pickups will drive an amp more than single coils, so I don't know you'll find what you're looking for in a strat or tele, but sure worth a try. Go to a store that has your amp you can play different guitars through.
Ok thanks for the advice. I'm not keen on the idea of learning right-handed but will keep fiddling around with the v2 and see what I can do with it. I've tried out fuse before and have managed to get some really nice tones out of it.