I need some good settings for my new Peavey 6505+. I just bough this amp, and I have to say it sounds pretty bad distortion wise. The cleans are okay, they have a lot of gain no matter what but its the distortion that im really wanting. Right now I want to have a Metallica type distortion from the ...And Justice For All or the Black Album era. I have an Epiphone explorer with EMG pickups and a Boss metal zone. (I know the pedal is absolute shit so if you have any decent settings that will go along well with the amp or a suggestions on a new one, it would be greatly appreciated)
Quote by samuel-hepfer
I need some good settings for my new Peavey 6505+. I just bough this amp, and I have to say it sounds pretty bad distortion wise. The cleans are okay, they have a lot of gain no matter what but its the distortion that im really wanting. Right now I want to have a Metallica type distortion from the ...And Justice For All or the Black Album era. I have an Epiphone explorer with EMG pickups and a Boss metal zone. (I know the pedal is absolute shit so if you have any decent settings that will go along well with the amp or a suggestions on a new one, it would be greatly appreciated)

First off ask for tips for better sound out of your amp. You need to provide your amp EQ settings.

Second that is "wrong" amp for AJFA. It will work but won't sound like the album.

6505+'s have WAY to much gain. Your pregain should be halfway or just a little past.

What are your settings at?

The 6505 series is a fantastic amp for metal tone wise. And justice for all was recorded with Mesa Boogie Mark series if I remember correctly. 6505 has WAY more gain than the mark series.

Best advice is to always start with your knobs at noon and work back and forth until you find the sweet spot for your taste.

Make sure your presence isn't too high. I'd have it between 5-7. Resonance to taste, typically around 7 or 8(I like bass).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Feb 22, 2014,
Well right now I dont have a specific setting for it. Im still screwing around. I just wanted a good starting point so I can go from there.
Start with everything at noon and adjust to taste... Those amps have a ton of mids, so don't be afraid to scoop that control a bit. Ton of presence too, so I tend to keep it low. It really is the wrong amp for Metallica tones though, which tend to be really scooped. Dump the Boss pedal. That one is useless. If you want to use an OD, grab an SD-1 or cheap Tubescreamer, though you shouldn't need it with the 6505, IMO. Keep the gain at 5 or lower. Anything higher than that tends to be a mushy mess.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs