I have an old GP-8 with the matching FC100 foot controller that I have been using since it was first released. Yes, that's right, I'm an old bastard. Anyway, I want to retire it. It's a friggin museum piece. They were basically the first true multi FX units. Before them all that was around were multiple stompboxes in one unit. No patches or anything, truly just four stompboxes in a box.

Then the Roland GP-8 came along with with MIDI, patches, all that keyboards type shit that we are familiar with today. The GP-8 has analog and digital effects. ie the SD-1 is an SD-1, just built into a motherboard and adjustable via MIDI. The delay and chorus are digital but the rest is analog.
So it's a pretty special piece of kit that I'd hate to see damaged. It's still in great condition. But ...... one of the footswitches stopped working. I fixed it, but it's a harbinger of doom.

So I intend to buy a HD500 next year but in the meantime I need a controller, mostly for my amp. All I need is program change data. Don't need controllers or note, just program change.

So, what's a cheap controller that will stand up to the rigors of gigging in pubs? I have a general dislike of Behringer but I would be keen to hear testimonials because the price is right
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Voodoo Labs' one is the cheapest I'd go with. I hear the Behringer really isn't too bad, but I don't trust any of their stuff worth a damn.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I have the behringer. I've only gigged it once, have taken it to jam sessions a bit though.
It's held up well, I've had no complaints

There is a third party firmware upgrade for it:
http://www.ossandust.be
Worth it imo, but your needs may be different.

I just couldn't justify spending 3-4+ times the price for the voodoo labs or any of the well known ones. That seems ridiculous for just a midi controller imo.
RIP Gooze

cats
It only has to last me a year too. I could get away with an old Boss FC-50 if one pops up on ebay cheap. The actual Randall footswitch is a three button, MIDI out affair and they're like $160.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Badmotorfingers
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brunswick-east/guitars-amps/boss-fc-50-midi-foot-controller-pedal/1038778160

Actually saw it a couple of days ago and was thinking about getting it for my g-major but I think I will sell it eventually and replace with individual pedals
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar. I bought it and am now waiting for delivery.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If it's just to change patches, grab an old art x-11 controller. They go for around $50 and do simple patch changes.

I currently have a rocktron midimate that let me change patches or recall effects (like a pedal). Got it for $80 in almost new condition and it's sturdy. Let you name your patches too.
Quote by Badmotorfingers
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brunswick-east/guitars-amps/boss-fc-50-midi-foot-controller-pedal/1038778160

Actually saw it a couple of days ago and was thinking about getting it for my g-major but I think I will sell it eventually and replace with individual pedals

Thank you for this thread. I've been looking for a midi footswitch that doesn't cost out the ass for what it does. That BOSS one seems really good. Expression Pedal support too.

Could I use this with stuff like Guitar Rig?

edit: nvm it's used
Last edited by Clay-man at Mar 1, 2014,