Hi
I am a beginner and have got stuck. I am going round and round in circles getting more confused.
When I see a chord above the tabs I form it and pluck the strings (arpeggio) but sometimes one or more of the strings go to another fret. Say 1 and 2 on the same string.Am I meant to fret these and go back to the chord or is this where I abandon the chord until another is printed.
Please can anyone help
Merv
I might not have understood you correctly, but here goes... In the end, your goal is to play what's written in tab, so logically, the easiest way to do that while getting the results you're after is what you should be striving for.

So look at the tab and think how you should approach it. Do you need to play the arpeggio again after moving a few frets on some strings? If not, then why would you go back to the shape? If you do need to play those notes, then yes, go back to the shape. You do what you need to play the notes, there is no "hold the chord shape until X or Y" rule.

Honestly it would be nice if you posted a tab of the part you're asking about.
^ yeah.

i think the thing is you can play the notes in more than one place on the fretboard, so just because the tab doesn't tie in with your known chord shape doesn't mean it's not the same chord.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Play what the tab says. The chords on top of the tab just tell you which chord you are playing or the other insturments are playing at the same time. The chord symbols usually tell the overall harmony.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Sometimes a chord symbol is above the tabs but only open strings are plucked. I have even noticed this with fingerpicking tabs.
What would happen if I just ignored any chord that did not look like an arpeggio?
I guess maybe the chords on the Hal Leonard music could be to strum to?
Thanks
Merv
Can you post an example of what you're talking about? I think that will help us give you a better answer.
Quote by Merv10_0
Sometimes a chord symbol is above the tabs but only open strings are plucked. I have even noticed this with fingerpicking tabs.
What would happen if I just ignored any chord that did not look like an arpeggio?
I guess maybe the chords on the Hal Leonard music could be to strum to?
Thanks
Merv

Agan, just play what the tab says. The chord symbols tell the overall harmony, not just what notes guitar is playing at the time. If you listen to the backing track, you will hear the chords written above the tab. Guitar can play whatever notes but the overall harmony can still be E minor or whatever. It depends on the other instruments too, not just the guitar. So if you play guitar parts, ignore the chord symbols if you want. They don't tell you what to play, they just tell you what chords you are playing over.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Play what the tab says. The chords on top of the tab just tell you which chord you are playing or the other insturments are playing at the same time. The chord symbols usually tell the overall harmony.

that too. maybe especially that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?