So I have been looking for different pickups in my 2013 Gibson SG 60s tribute. What came stock with it was a Burstbucker 1 in the neck and a Burstbucker 2 in the bridge. As I scrolled though the Gibson website I learned that they are about $160 usd per pickup. However I fell in love with the tone of the Seymore Duncan 59' model humbuckers for both neck and bridge positions. Which do you guys prefer? (The amp I am getting by the end of the week is a fender Mustang IV v.2 150 watt modeling amp)
The '59 is probably my favorite SD pickup. Can't say I know the Burstbuckers, though.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
My LP Studios have Burstbuckers in, I like them and don't see myself ever wanting to change them.

Gotta say though, I'm not sure how much difference switching the pickups will make if you're only buying a modelling amp. Personally I'd get a proper tube amp first to hit the desired tone, then consider switching the pickups as a final tweak.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I dunno if you can really hear a major difference with that amp to be honest. These pickup sets are somewhat similar in style anyway.
yeah stick with what you have, most likely.

how exactly did you "fall in love" with the tone of the '59s? if it was a vid (or even if you were playing them in another guitar in the shop) the amp (and other gear) you were playing though might have been what you liked, moreso than the pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrPopTarted
So I have been looking for different pickups in my 2013 Gibson SG 60s tribute. What came stock with it was a Burstbucker 1 in the neck and a Burstbucker 2 in the bridge. As I scrolled though the Gibson website I learned that they are about $160 usd per pickup. However I fell in love with the tone of the Seymore Duncan 59' model humbuckers for both neck and bridge positions. Which do you guys prefer? (The amp I am getting by the end of the week is a fender Mustang IV v.2 150 watt modeling amp)

that amp won't notice the difference so no point in changing the pickups. modelers until you get to the really high end stuff don't tend to show off subtle nuances in pickups. both my strats sound pretty much the same through my POD despite sounding very different through a real tube amp.
Burstbuckers are pretty versatile. Like everyone else said, until you get a good tube amp, pups are kinda just whatever.
Dwaaaam>GETCHA PULL
They're similar pickups, it's not even apples and oranges, it's oranges or a slightly different variety of orange.

You're not going to hear $160 of improvement or even difference between the two, like Dave said you probably didn't "fall in love" with the sound of the 59, you probably jus fel in live with a good amp that was well EQ'd.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
In my opinion pickups are a very small piece of your sound in the quest for tone. They're more of a fine tuning of your sound. It'd be like messing with the timing of your clutch and gears in your car to squeeze out that last little bit of speed/power thats already available with your current engine.

Bad analogy aside, don't even think about pickups until you have a tube amp, and maybe start researching when you have a decent quality one at that, imho.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame