I cant find any good settings for this thing. No matter what I try it sounds fuzzy and muddy. Im looking to get a thrashy kind of Metallica tone but that seems impossible. The settings im using now are high: 7 mid: 4 bass: 5 and pre: 7. I also have the MXR 10 band EQ hooked up to the effects loop. Im using an Epiphone explorer with EMGs. This amp has pissed me off more than my line 6 spider jam.
Try turning your mids up, lower the highs and raise the presence and resonance.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
less gain. you don't need as much as you think. metallica also used a tubescreamer to tighten up the sound. lay off the treble as well. I can get a metallica (pre justice) tone out of my Valveking so you certainly can get one out of that amp.
Ive tried many different things including having high mids and lower treble but it still has a horrible layer of fuzz on top of the sound. Im contemplating a noise gate at this point.
How loud are you playing?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Fairly quietly because the people around me are assholes and dont like it turned up past 1. It does sound better turned up, I was just playing it at about 3, which is super loud for a 3.
Quote by samuel-hepfer
Fairly quietly because the people around me are assholes and dont like it turned up past 1. It does sound better turned up, I was just playing it at about 3, which is super loud for a 3.

never gonna sound great at that volume. turn down the gain and it will improve some. keep in mind that metallica certainly was playing louder. volume does affect tone and how ell you may hear certain frequencies. the settings you use at low volume won't work for louder and vice versa. experiment some more and learn to live with some imperfections.
Quote by monwobobbo
never gonna sound great at that volume.

Yes, it will.
TS, are the tubes new? That fuzz and mud that you're getting on 6505 is not normal, not even on 1, I suspect bad tubes. Try retubing with a fresh set.
Quote by Pandorum
Yes, it will.
TS, are the tubes new? That fuzz and mud that you're getting on 6505 is not normal, not even on 1, I suspect bad tubes. Try retubing with a fresh set.

no it won't. you aren't pushing the speaker hardly at all at that volume. the distortion settings will react differently at that low of a volume as well. can you get an acceptable sound yes just as good as at a higher volume or sound like the record no.
I'm sure for a tight tone you only need preamp distortion? Distortion from pushing the tubes will be loose and undesirable for this type of metal?
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Like I said, I cant turn it up because of the people im living with. That amp is extremely sensitive when it comes to the volume knob.
Quote by monwobobbo
no it won't. you aren't pushing the speaker hardly at all at that volume. the distortion settings will react differently at that low of a volume as well. can you get an acceptable sound yes just as good as at a higher volume or sound like the record no.

Yea I agree, but pushing the speaker hardly matters here, afterall the guy is talking about the living room playing. Obviously, it won't nail the record, then again, pretty much nothing he does with the amp won't, not on bedroom levels anyway. And he's got the wrong tools for the job, Metallica doesn't even use 6505s.

What confuses me with this guy is, he made at least two more threads, basically complaining about not being able to properly eq the amp, and asking for eq settings to get a better tone. He didn't even mention fuzz or mud. The 6505 is what I consider a "metal outta box", it's so easy to eq, just put everything at noon including gain that amp sounds very good! So either he got a lemon or... I dunno...
Last edited by Pandorum at Feb 23, 2014,
Quote by monwobobbo

True but TS's problems do not seem to be related to lack of volume and speaker not operating at its optimal levels. For example Kailm in this forum uses 6505 combo at home and band situations.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I would advise starting flat (12:00 on each EQ dial) and go from there. I used to own one and it sounded great, although yes it did improve a lot when cranked. It took a bit more tweaking to get it sounding right over the 6505 head which I own now.
If you can't turn up a 6505 past 1 you need to get a new amp. Most stage tube amps sound like shit under 1. It's not a bedroom amp stop trying to make it one.

Spider Jam vs 6505 at conversation levels? Spider Jam wins.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 23, 2014,
Quote by cheesefries
If you can't turn up a 6505 past 1 you need to get a new amp. Most stage tube amps sound like shit under 1.

Or perhaps just scale down, the 112 combo at level 1-2 is very reasonable for bedroom practice. It gets louder after that, but even at those levels, the tone is perfectly fine for little bedroom playing.
Last edited by Pandorum at Feb 23, 2014,
I say scale down if need be, I have a 50w non master volume amp of death I almost never get to use because my roommate is a ****. There is nothing worse than having to use your amp at low levels and it sounding like shit to make other people happy.

Edit, at the post above me the 6505 sounds worse than a mg at conversation levels so.... Um yeah.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Feb 23, 2014,
Quote by cheesefries
If you can't turn up a 6505 past 1 you need to get a new amp. Most stage tube amps sound like shit under 1. It's not a bedroom amp stop trying to make it one.

Spider Jam vs 6505 at conversation levels? Spider Jam wins.

Not really true.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1571081
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Feb 23, 2014,
Seriously how many threads do you want to make?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Bring the Level on the MXR down. This will tame the volume knob and let you turn it up more, and it will sound better despite being the same actual volume.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Bring the Level on the MXR down. This will tame the volume knob and let you turn it up more, and it will sound better despite being the same actual volume.

This guy is beyond help. 3 threads for the same shit.

He won't take any advice.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
TS, stop making threads about this. You've received a lot of advice and you don't seem to be responding to it. If you can't get a decent metal tone out of even a STOCK 6505+, there's something wrong with it.

Is it the same as Metallica's tone? No. But when I play Metallica riffs on mine it sounds DAMNED GOOD -- just not the same as their tone. Nothing wrong with that (furthermore, I don't know why people try so hard to just get the tone of one artist...I'm happy just getting a good tone and then let my playing do the talking).

Next, get a Tubescreamer for that thing. That will make it sound better at lower volumes. Run it with the gain at zero and the level maxed. Turn your amp's pre-gain down to around 3-4, especially since you said you have EMGs. The amp's EQ is a no-brainer. Pretty much impossible to get a bad tone for metal unless you do something stupid like turn the bass to "0", mids at "0", and highs maxed. Finally, the 6505+ does not need to be "cranked" to get good tone. Mine sounds just fine at a little above 1 on the post gain. Especially with a TS and MXR 10-band. It does sound better when I turn it up to 3, but that's because the speakers are breathing better, not because of how the tubes are affected. The amp doesn't get its tone from power tube distortion.

Speakers, tubes, EQ pedals, etc. can all improve the sound of that amp greatly. But even out of the box I was very pleased with mine. Either your ears are jacked or there is something wrong with your amp.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Turn your gain down. My 5150 can play death metal with the gain on 5...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by NakedInTheRain
yeah you're not gonna get metallica tone out of an amp, any amp, at that level. get a line 6 POD and a pair of good headphones.

Short of the tweaks/adjustments already proposed, this may be the next best option for samuel-hepfer.
Quote by R45VT
This guy is beyond help. 3 threads for the same shit.

He won't take any advice.

lol idk. I never look at usernames, only avatars. Since there's no avatar, I pay no attention to it.

It's a simple solution anyway, no sweat off my back. And I always keep in mind that there's probably 10x more lurkers reading these threads than actual users. So it will help them at least.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by MatrixClaw
Turn your gain down. My 5150 can play death metal with the gain on 5...

Lead channel mines on 3.5
Crunch, the gains on 6/7 with an OD.

IF TS has anymore than 5... no wonder
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by losing battle

Edit, at the post above me the 6505 sounds worse than a mg at conversation levels so.... Um yeah.

Either the MG line got a whole lot better than it used to be over night or someone never played a 6505 at conversation levels... I practice every day on a 6505+ 112 and it sounds just fine, and MGs are a fizzy mess at any level.
Quote by Pandorum
Either the MG line got a whole lot better than it used to be over night or someone never played a 6505 at conversation levels... I practice every day on a 6505+ 112 and it sounds just fine, and MGs are a fizzy mess at any level.

+1. Even at its worst volume level, my 6505+ sounds WAY better than an MG does at its best.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I never played a 6505 or 6505+ that sounded good at conversation volumes. I guess if you pump 500 bucks (tubes, pedals, if its the combo a speaker or two) it would sound ok I guess.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
An overdrive pedal is all I need to make a 6505 sound good at ANY volume. Good speakers help, good tubes help, but really even without the OD you can get a more than acceptable tone.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I have to play at low volumes like that all the time. I've learned not to expect optimum performance or to expect perfect tone just like ________. it's just part of the deal and not that big of a deal for practice purposes.
Quote by losing battle
If you don't know what the hell you are doing than yes it does. Sucks to be you I guess.

And I run a 100w tube halfstack normally at bedroom volumes, play it loud when I can but not often. Nowhere near as good sounding at quiet volumes, but worse than a cheap SS? Definitely not.

TS: Turn your fucking gain down, stop scooping mids. The 6505 isn't a toy practice amp that requires you to scoop mids, which even then you shouldn't be doing.

Also 6505 generally isn't the top choice for a thrash sound, although it's more than possible to pull it off.
The 5150/6505 is just fine with scooped mids, IMO. It has so much mids, even with them at 0, that it'll still cut through just fine. I run the mids on mine at 4.5 and it cuts through like a champ
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The 6505 is a preamp gain type amp, which in my world means its designed for preamp gain and sounds good doing it, and its not so much built for power amp saturation.

In short, it sounds better at lower volumes for heavily distorted stuff. But good tubes and a Tube Screamer will help alot.
Maybe you just don't like the 6505...

It happens.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ibanezguitars44
Maybe you just don't like the 6505...

It happens.

Maybe he wanted it to sound like James and Kirks tracks on ...And Justice for All and it doesn't. Maybe he didn't know those tracks are heavily polished in the studio.

Three threads on this.

I hope he figures it out. Some amps aren't for everyone. The 6505/+ are difficult to mess. Presence and gain too high are about the only way you can kill the sound.

To me I was able to play just fine with "good" tone at home.

It sounded like a raped ape at jam level and I fought to keep it from drowning out the drummer on level 2.

Go guitar straight in. Use the crunch channel and play with it. Then use the gain channel if you need higher saturation. Both of those channels produce some amazing sound.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.