View poll results: Jackson vs Ibanez vs Schecter
Jackson warrior series
4 15%
Ibanez prestige
18 67%
Schecter hellraiser
6 22%
Voters: 27.
I need a new guitar! I have a Japanese Charvel and loved it for many years. Looking for a mid range axe $400-800 range. Good for classic hard rock and metal (dream theatre, ozzy, megadeath, sepultura...) kind of tired of strat style but i play mostly sitting down. I love the Jackson v and rhoads but not great for sitting. Looking at warriors, they seem ok but sadly the entry level js series seems better than the mid wrx ones. I don't mind used and found some sweet schecter hellraisers and blackjacks. Also found an Ibanez prestige 1570 and a premium s seies. Need opinions on schecter and ibanez, both are used early to mid 2000 or late 90s and about 90 miles away from me. Have played with new ones but can't really compare brand new to 15-20 years old. Help please!
never played schecter but if you can find a used jackson slsmg they are nice guitar, i have the ibanez xiphos too and for the price its a good guitar too and plays great sitting down
I own two Ibanez Prestiges and one Schecter Hellraiser. My Prestiges aren't the same model as the one you are looking at, but let's just say there's a reason why I own 2 Prestiges and one Hellraiser.

The Hellraiser is great, and if you personally prefer it then no reason not to get one. It's not like the difference between, say, Epiphone and Gibson, but out of a Hellraiser or Prestige I would go with Prestige every time.
assuming you get on with the style of guitar (you said you were sick of superstrats) and the neck profile, ibanez prestige. if you ask me they're step up from the other options. if you're ok with used (or even new old stock if you're lucky) keep an eye out for japanese jacksons, they've been discontinued for a little while but are still fairly common.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
assuming you get on with the style of guitar (you said you were sick of superstrats) and the neck profile, ibanez prestige. if you ask me they're step up from the other options. if you're ok with used (or even new old stock if you're lucky) keep an eye out for japanese jacksons, they've been discontinued for a little while but are still fairly common.

How is the neck profile on the Prestige? My hands are kind of small and I couldn't stretch from first to fifth fret on the schecter. I can just barely make it on Jacksons/.
Found a rg1570 for $475 and a rg3570 for $699. Good deal on both!
Quote by Jcrider303
How is the neck profile on the Prestige? My hands are kind of small and I couldn't stretch from first to fifth fret on the schecter. I can just barely make it on Jacksons/.

Ibanez necks are very thin. Your hands do not limit you, stretching and practice will make you far more verstile. A buddy of mine who has been playing for 25 years can do a 8 fret stretch and it's nothing to him, just keep playing and skills will develop. Almost anyone can do a 5 fret stretch with practice.
very thin, yeah. and wide (43mm) at the nut. and flat radius. also 25.5 scale length (which makes the distance between frets slightly larger than on gibson-style guitars).

as JGM258 says, practise is more important in being able to stretch than anything else (assuming you don't just have supersmall hands, which might admittedly affect it), but if you know you want as small a stretch as possible, it might be worth bearing in mind.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks to everyone that's replied to this. I just started playing again after a 20 year break. I'm over the "no more superstrats" bs. Leaning toward a Prestige. Just bought a Used Jackson Dkmgt today for $250. It just felt so good in my hands I couldn't resist.

Quote by Jcrider303

I started playing after my friend gifted his used Prestige 2550e. I only played for 6-7 months, 7 years ago. So I was pretty much newstarter. Self taught for last 8 months. I never had a problem with small hands. I'm 176(height) and standart sized hands I guess. I doubt if you will have any problem with it.

Besides that she has di mario pickups, strong bridge. My guitar is used for last 10 years I believe. Last 2 years she was sitting at her box because owner got himself a Ibanez Vai Jem. He did give small concerts and played around. Which means its body is quite damaged. Yet when I went to luthier to get it checked out, magnetics and stuff. He asked me for 20$ including new strings. So yeah that should give you an idea about its reliability.

Design of she is absolutly cool. Galaxy black looks nice. Not solid black nor one with shiny sparkles and shit.

I wish I could get a more bluesy sound from her. Maybe thats something to blame to me tho
Nice man! Both of the RG's I'm considering are Galaxy Black too. How's the action on that one. The 1570 ($450)seemed high and stiff but the 3570($699) was low and smooth but I couldn't plug it in because they were rewiring the output jack.
Quote by Jcrider303
Thanks to everyone that's replied to this. I just started playing again after a 20 year break. I'm over the "no more superstrats" bs. Leaning toward a Prestige. Just bought a Used Jackson Dkmgt today for $250. It just felt so good in my hands I couldn't resist.

Nice I have one, they're very nice guitars- and MIJ too, though a different factory makes them and the bolt-on ones probably aren't just as nice as Prestige Ibanezes, though they're still very nice (especially if you get them cheap, as we both did ). If you like the neck on the Jackson there's a fair chance you'll like a Prestige Ibanez Wizard neck, too- they're not identical but I'd say they're in the same ballpark. The width is the same, they're both slim necks, big frets, granted the Jackson has the compound radius (though personally I never notice the compound radius too much, but that's not to say everyone would feel the same).

Quote by arcanom

I wish I could get a more bluesy sound from her. Maybe thats something to blame to me tho

what amp are you using? From what I can remember the pickups in that guitar are pretty hot (according to the dimarzio site they're sort of super distortion-style pickups http://www.dimarzio.com/faq#55/60/7581) so lower output, more vintage-sounding pickups, at least in the position you'd normally use for blues (neck and/or middle pickup) should help a lot- but only if your amp is suitable, too.

Quote by Jcrider303
How's the action on that one. The 1570 ($450)seemed high and stiff but the 3570($699) was low and smooth

I would have strong suspicion that that's down to the setup and/or the gauge of strings fitted. Most of the Prestige Ibanez models feel pretty similar and the necks are often identical (though it pays to know the exact model you're looking at because sometimes they did have different neck profiles).

Now of course it depends on how much of a chance you're willing to take. Even if you suspect you can adjust the neck to play more how you like it it's a bit of a risk, just in case you can't
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 25, 2014,
Exactly Dave, I'm using a super crappy beginner level amp. Ibanez 10w. Its OK for a starter but its been give or take 6-8 months now and I'm playing 3-4 hour daily. Gonna get a good amp when I have some cash. Dreaming of a goldtop LP or a SRV Strat tho I still have time for that
yeah i wouldn't worry about changing pickups if you only have a starter amp. the pickups in there already are pretty good.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So this is the one I got the other day. Turns out it's not a '97 DKMG. It's a 2007 DXMGT. Was a limited run from Jackson's Japanese line. 24 fret compound radius bolt on neck, Tune O Matic bridge, EMG 81/85 and a Soloist body and head stock. I researched this a lot. They F'd up and bolted the Soloist body/neck together. Anyway, it sounds and plays SWEEEET. I love it. Still looking at the Prestige line because this one was cheap. Need to upgrade my amp too. Are Crates still good? back in my day they were the SH*T.
Attachments:
photo-8.jpg
Nice

Yeah mine's just a bog standard dkmgt

I dunno about crate, they're fairly rare here in europe.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?