I need some help, for christmas last year i got an Ibanez GAX30 as my first guitar and i've been playing ever since! But now its my birthday in a month and I want a half decent guitar to use as mine is already coming to its end. I've been scrolling for days on guitar sites looking for the perfect one but always seem to consult the forums and see theres something wrong with it. At first i had my mind set on an ESP Viper but found that they often get bad humm which is exactly what my GAX suffers from.

So basicly my price range is anything under £600 with a little wriggle room. All im looking for is a pretty guitar that will last me a good few years and preferably with a wider neck for my ogre fingers :P

Help and suggestions would be much appreciated
You could get a good Gibson LP Studio for that.

What amp are you using though? You may find you're better off spending half on a decent amp, half on a decent guitar.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
You could get a good Gibson LP Studio for that.

What amp are you using though? You may find you're better off spending half on a decent amp, half on a decent guitar.

The amp i'm using at the minute is the Fender Mustang 1! Never had any issues with it.
Yeah the Gibson LP seems great but a little too pricey unfortunately.
Fender Mustang 1!!! PUKE!!

I got the same amp, but I hate it!

Upgrade that amp first, then save up and get a Gibson SG or something.

You come off as a metal type of guy, that's what I would recommend.

Get a Vox amp if you're into metal, get a Marshall DSL40C if you're a hard rock/blues player.
what type(s) of music will you be playing?

Quote by NewDayHappy

Get a Vox amp if you're into metal

wat
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by NewDayHappy

Get a Vox amp if you're into metal

And an ES335 and a harmonica while you're at it

But seriously TS, what type of music?

The Mustang isn't bad for low-mid gain stuff, but high gain will leave you underwhelmed.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by NewDayHappy
Fender Mustang 1!!! PUKE!!

I got the same amp, but I hate it!

Upgrade that amp first, then save up and get a Gibson SG or something.

You come off as a metal type of guy, that's what I would recommend.

Get a Vox amp if you're into metal, get a Marshall DSL40C if you're a hard rock/blues player.

Youre totally right :P I love SG's completely but i cant find one for under 600 anywhere! But thanks
If you like SGs, take a look at an Epiphone G-400. A lot of people like the Viper, but I've never been able to jive with it quite right. The Epi is a pretty nice ax for the money though, then put the rest towards a Peavey Vypyr Tube, Jet City combo, or a Peavey Ultra to replace your mustang. Those will get your metal tones much better. I'm not sure if you'll be able to fit both in the 600 pound budget or not, but if you buy used you should be able to get close.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
If you like SGs, take a look at an Epiphone G-400. A lot of people like the Viper, but I've never been able to jive with it quite right. The Epi is a pretty nice ax for the money though, then put the rest towards a Peavey Vypyr Tube, Jet City combo, or a Peavey Ultra to replace your mustang. Those will get your metal tones much better. I'm not sure if you'll be able to fit both in the 600 pound budget or not, but if you buy used you should be able to get close.

+1

TS - you still need to tell us what sort of music you'll be playing, but this advice will be your best bet for most types of rock/metal.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The Blue Label Fret-King Esprit 5 as seen here should be a decent axe for most classic/hard rock, and you may be able to find a better deal on it used.

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d247_Electric_Guitars_01.html

I think there is also a cheaper Black Label version of it as well.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Seeing as Im still learning im pretty much playing anything. But in the future once ive got it all down, I will moat likely go with my heavy rock kind of stuff!

Thanks for all the help guys! Ive found some pretty affordable "Gibson SG Special 70's Tribute" on some sites, opinions?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The Blue Label Fret-King Esprit 5 as seen here should be a decent axe for most classic/hard rock, and you may be able to find a better deal on it used.

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d247_Electric_Guitars_01.html

I think there is also a cheaper Black Label version of it as well.

keep an eye out on ebay, there are some very good prices on new Blue Labels (new from shops selling on ebay, i mean) at the moment (though they tend to be more the fender-style models- and i should add the fender-style ones are the only ones i've tried).

the jet city combo should be pretty easy to get under budget, it's currently out of stock but is normally well under £300 on thomann. that'd leave you £300 for the guitar which would easily get you that epi or maybe even a fretking if you're lucky.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just F.Y.I.:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sop=2&_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=fret+king+guitars&LH_PrefLoc=2&_dcat=33034&No%252E%2520of%2520Strings=6%2520string&rt=nc

I have a Blue Label Super 60HB and like it a lot, and the Super 60SP and Esprit V are on my list. I kinda dig the quirky Venturas, too. The Black Label demo one on eBay from Ivor Maraints: powder blue with a bridge HB and a pair of miniHBs in the middle & neck positions could be fun. Only 330£.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fret-King-Black-Label-Ventura-Laguna-Blue-Ex-Demo-/141186031573?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item20df57dfd5
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 23, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Just F.Y.I.:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sop=2&_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=fret+king+guitars&LH_PrefLoc=2&_dcat=33034&No%252E%2520of%2520Strings=6%2520string&rt=nc

I have a Blue Label Super 60HB and like it a lot, and the Super 60SP and Esprit V are on my list. I kinda dig the quirky Venturas, too. The Black Label demo one on eBay from Ivor Maraints: powder blue with a bridge HB and a pair of miniHBs in the middle & neck positions could be fun. Only 330£.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fret-King-Black-Label-Ventura-Laguna-Blue-Ex-Demo-/141186031573?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item20df57dfd5

I've never tried the black labels. My concern is that they're meant to be a lower-end range, and considering they seem to be winding down the blue labels in favour of the black labels, you can often get a blue label for less than a black label. Unless the black labels do something which the blue labels don't (i.e. a different style of guitar you "need"), i'd be getting a blue label if the prices are similar.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jakethehuman

Thanks for all the help guys! Ive found some pretty affordable "Gibson SG Special 70's Tribute" on some sites, opinions?

A friend of mine has had a Gibson LP Special for a long time, and my impression on the guitar is that the quality isn't that good. It's a decent guitar but for the money you can get a lot better. It doesn't hold tune too well and there's a lot of small imperfections. Sounds pretty nice though. That said it's a LP special from maybe 10 years back so idk. But my impression (and the impression of some people I've talked to) of the Gibson Specials is that the quality isn't what you would be expecting for the money. Maybe it's different these days, I just thought I'd give my 2c.
The Specials are pretty hit and miss. I had a friend that had a SG Special that was pretty nice playing and sounding. I've played some that were complete and utter crap though. For that matter, Epiphones are kind of hit and miss as well, but seem slightly more consistent to me. Still some crap ones though. A good rule with any guitar is to try the guitar you are thinking about buying though.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75