Hello everybody!

I have a certain problem with tension in my FRETTING hand and fingers.

I've been playing bass for about 3 years now, always practiced a little bit of guitar, too.

Now a problem came along quite a long time ago, where I'd get a lot of tension in my hand ( not arm, but hand, like, palm ) and ring finger after doing some hammer-ons for even a few bars, like going :

A---------3---h5------3---h5------3h5----3h5---3h5------3h5---- at a steady tempo.

I thought it was because I was still a beginner ( hell, I'm a beginner now but you know what I mean ) and I thought it'll go away, but it didn't.

I don't seem to have that problem on higher frets though. Only somewhere frets 1 - 8.

___

Another problem is that my fingers move without my will.

Like, I can't only get my pinky down without moving my ring finger.

For slow lines this is not really a problem, but when I play a shred, it happens that my middle finger ( in addition to other fingers from time to time ) just go back and forth for no real reason.

___

I mostly play while sitting, trying to sit straight, rarely play with standing, I tried different angles of holding my bass but nothing really helps.

Can somebody help me on how to " fix " these problems?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by realsmoky at Feb 23, 2014,
Post a video so we can evaluate your technique more carefully. In the meantime, a basic checklist:

-correct posture
-correct wrist position
-WARMING UP
-relaxation
-knowing your limits.
baab
Hard to say without seeing it but this could be due to thumb positioning. Your LH thumb should not point sideways, it should be roughly in the area of level with fingers 1 & 2 and pointing up to the ceiling (or when required, over the top of the neck for bends say).

Thumb pointing sideways results in considerable wrist movement to compensate for the inability to apply pressure through thumb and fingers. Hope this helps but do post a clip if you can.
Have you tried stretching your hand out?

Put it against a wall with the wrist at the top. Push your hand against the wall and try to flatten it out as much as possible.
Quote by reckless_82
Have you tried stretching your hand out?

Put it against a wall with the wrist at the top. Push your hand against the wall and try to flatten it out as much as possible.

I don't seem to understand what I should do. :\
Quote by realsmoky
I don't seem to understand what I should do. :\

You can try this - put your hand out in front of you, with your palm facing away from your body. Then pull your three big fingers back towards your forearm. This had considerably reduced hand, wrist and even neck pain for me.
How does it reduce neck pain?

And should I do that as a warm up or regularly as a practice?

Thanks for the tip. I will try that.
Quote by realsmoky
How does it reduce neck pain?

And should I do that as a warm up or regularly as a practice?

Thanks for the tip. I will try that.

The tissue in your hands/wrist runs all the way up your arm into your neck. So having tension in the wrist means that there can be tension in the neck and jaw.

I've had chronic neck and wrist pain for a few years now. It's only because I've started playing guitar recently that I've been forced to do something about it.
Now 80% of the tension and pain has gone.

This video explains it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOrvzewbj38

Do you have any wrist pain when doing pushups or other lifting exercises?

This is a fantastic video, perfect for guitarists, the exercises have helped me a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSrfB7JIzxY
Last edited by reckless_82 at Feb 28, 2014,
Didn't really try weigh lifting, though I don't usually have problems with lifting stuff.

While doing push-ups I sometimes get wrist pain if I'm not warmed up well enough, though that is probably because I am slightly overweight.

Thank you for all your input.