Hi guys,

Before I begin,

My amp is in the description. I do not want anybody telling me to buy a new amp as it is a decent amp which I am happy with and anybody who says it isn't clearly hasn't tried one or it just plain doesn't fit their style of playing. No, I cannot afford a 1000 tube amp and I don't need one yet so I'm sticking with what I've got.

Anyway, I am ordering a Big Muff Pi at the end of this week with no questions asked. I love the sound I've heard from the demos and controversially, I like the size- it'll bulk up my pedalboard.

Anyway, I've got a little budget left over in which I'm looking at a DS-2. John Frusciante is my favourite guitarist so It'd be nice to get some tones of his as well as using it for my rhythm playing. My concern is that I've heard it isn't good when played through a SS.

I'm hoping it would sound good for my style of playing which is indie rock- I use that term loosely as it doesn't't really exist. I also play psychedelic.

I'd really like some advice on either accurate pros/cons or some similarly priced alternatives.

Thanks a lot and I hope someone can help me before I potentially waste my cash.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
Save your money.

Buy a good amp.

Anything else is just a false economy, spending less money but for minimal gains..possibly even just sideways steps.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Pacifica Ocean

My amp is in the description. I do not want anybody telling me to buy a new amp as it is a decent amp which I am happy with and anybody who says it isn't clearly hasn't tried one or it just plain doesn't fit their style of playing. No, I cannot afford a 1000 tube amp and I don't need one yet so I'm sticking with what I've got.

Welp...good luck with that then.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
You could go to a music store and try it out into some SS amps, then you'll be able to judge by yourslef.

The reason nobody has suggestions is this.

You imply that if you had $1,000 that you would upgrade your amp. So you're pretty much lying to yourself. That's the problem with you guys. You won't accept that you need a proper amp for any of this to work. You get what you pay for in this industry, and if you pay for low cost, you get low quality.

We're trying to do you a people favor by telling you to get a new amp, because that's all there is to it. Quality amps will sound great with your gear. Solid state 30 watt $100 amps will sound like shit no matter what you put through them. We're not saying it to be douchebags or be like "hurr get a boogie/marshl feggit cuz they best", we're saying it because its the best advice to give.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Quote by steven seagull

Save your money.

Buy a good amp.

Anything else is just a false economy, spending less money but for minimal gains..possibly even just sideways steps.

Quote by Guy_Mitchell

We're trying to do you a people favor by telling you to get a new amp, because that's all there is to it. Quality amps will sound great with your gear. Solid state 30 watt $100 amps will sound like shit no matter what you put through them. We're not saying it to be douchebags or be like "hurr get a boogie/marshl feggit cuz they best", we're saying it because its the best advice to give.

I do not have my advice in these exact words, but with the same meaning, so I'll save myself some typing and my post's space by quoting these two magnificent choices of words.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

first off, no need to spend a 1000 bucks. Second you could get a tube amp to suit your needs for not much more than you are already willing to spend. Peavey valveking 112 go for 200-250 all the time sometimes less, fender blues jr goes for around 250. Maybe a peavey classic 30, they fetch a fairly low price. You may even have some year you are willing to let go for this upgrade so you still get the pedal. Just something to look into. People understand not everyone can drop a grand but at least make the money you do have make the biggest improvement.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
The reason nobody has suggestions is this.

You imply that if you had $1,000 that you would upgrade your amp. So you're pretty much lying to yourself. That's the problem with you guys. You won't accept that you need a proper amp for any of this to work. You get what you pay for in this industry, and if you pay for low cost, you get low quality.

I'm 14 years old. I know that amps are the cornerstone of a good setup. It's mostly useless osting regardless of the topic because I see countless people get told to buy a new amp. All I wanted was some accurate info on a Boss Ds-2. I can't buy a new amp now but I'm fully aware that I will need one AT SOME POINT.

I'm just gonna let this thread die now and try and find some advice elsewhere. I appreciate the advice but it's not what I'm looking for.

Well then, good luck. For the record, we tried.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
Well then, good luck. For the record, we tried.

Thanks, I honestly appreciate it. I will upgrade eventually.

Well when you decide to, there are a lot of good options out there to start that won't break you.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by Pacifica Ocean
I'm 14 years old. I know that amps are the cornerstone of a good setup. It's mostly useless osting regardless of the topic because I see countless people get told to buy a new amp. All I wanted was some accurate info on a Boss Ds-2. I can't buy a new amp now but I'm fully aware that I will need one AT SOME POINT.

I'm just gonna let this thread die now and try and find some advice elsewhere. I appreciate the advice but it's not what I'm looking for.
0.k. 0.k. alright, I'll try to answer you before telling you that you need a new amp.

The DS-2 isn't a great pedal by itself if you ask me, let alone what you plug it into and what you plug into it - not really good sounding and not really smartly designed.
Plus, it's not a matter of solid state or tube amp.

Another thing you need to understand is that tube amps are not plain better than tube amps - the thing is, because of a lot of stupid and some less stupid reasons, guitarists prefer tube amp to solid state ones, and the consequence is that people who make amps will tend to make better quality tube amps than solid states.
Plus, tube amps require more expensive components and more complicated design.

The result is that cheap tube amps barely exist, and good solid state amps barely exist too.
Most solid state amps are cheap because they are low tire amps, and most tube amps cost lotsa money because they are high tire amps.
But you know what?
High quality solid state amps exist!
Tech 21's stuff, Roland JC's...

So, don't say "My concern is that I've heard it isn't good when played through a SS" ever again, 'cause it doesn't make lotsa sense.

Plus, again, the DS-2 isn't really good so I wouldn't invest in that, either to get Fusciante's tone or to get anything else, really...
Plus, indie rock exists.
Plus, it won't give you a psychedelic sound in a million years.

Now!
You need a new amp.
A big muff pi costs more or less $90.
I bought my amp for less than the double of that price, and it sounds pretty damn good if ya ask me.
So, the simple thing here would be doing the following -
1. you don't get pedals
2. you don't get all sorts of stupid stuff you don't need
doing that will save you money, so you can
3. buy a new (cheap but) good amp

For your kinda stuff I suggest the peavey classic 30 or the blues jr.
I found both of the for $300 on ebay in 2 minutes, I'm sure you can do better looking up for stuff on craigslist or at your music store's used section and stuff.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.