Page 1 of 2
It's just shredding but on an acoustic guitar. And I think his nose is too big.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
i feel like you could count the number of basic shred patterns he used
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I honestly don't understand the appeal of shred. Why are people so obsessed with speed? It isn't even that hard to get, just practice consistently slow and relaxed for half a year and you'll be able to play scale sequences real fast (which is what 99% of rock/metal shred is, just scale sequences going up or down).
Quote by macashmack
I honestly don't understand the appeal of shred. Why are people so obsessed with speed? It isn't even that hard to get, just practice consistently slow and relaxed for half a year and you'll be able to play scale sequences real fast (which is what 99% of rock/metal shred is, just scale sequences going up or down).

I don't understand the appeal of slow, slopping solo approach they have in like classic rock and blues. It's usually just the same bending notes and stuff like that. At least with shredding they playing boring things fast and cleanly, which is much more exciting than boring things played slowly and sloppily.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I don't understand the appeal of slow, slopping solo approach they have in like classic rock and blues. It's usually just the same bending notes and stuff like that. At least with shredding they playing boring things fast and cleanly, which is much more exciting than boring things played slowly and sloppily.

I never said anything about playing sloppy, but I agree with you that fast and clean is better than slow and sloppy.
Last edited by macashmack at Feb 23, 2014,
I didn't say that you did.
Quote by macashmack
I honestly don't understand the appeal of shred.

I agree. I'd much rather listen to a slow solo with feeling, when it gets too fast it just doesn't feel human anymore if you know what I mean.
Quote by Cing Krimson
I agree. I'd much rather listen to a slow solo with feeling, when it gets too fast it just doesn't feel human anymore if you know what I mean.

I don't agree with that, personally. I'm fine with speed but so much shred is just 1 2 3 4, 2 3 4 5 etc. Every once in a while that's fine but so many shredders do it all the time.
Quote by Cing Krimson

Yeah, but what exactly is this so-called "feeling" that people talk about?

Quote by macashmack
I don't agree with that, personally. I'm fine with speed but so much shred is just 1 2 3 4, 2 3 4 5 etc. Every once in a while that's fine but so many shredders do it all the time.

A large amount of music (ie almost all of it) equates to 1 2 3 4, 2 3 4 5 etc when it gets right down to it. Why do people not like it when people play the same patterns fast but have no problem hearing the same rehashed rock song consisting of the same drum beat, chord structure, the same three lyrical themes, and rhyming the same six or seven words in every song?
Last edited by theogonia777 at Feb 23, 2014,
Quote by macashmack

^^That was worded quite badly but yeah, its all personal preference. I just think the solo loses a lot of its character when it gets too fast
I dont understand the appeal of playing guitar. I mean, c'mon it's just a wooden box with a hole in it and the strings attached are to a board of sorts. It doesn't even makes sense.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by theogonia777

I listen to some of David Gilmour's solos, and I am sometimes so close to crying like a little girl. There's something about his solos that gets me every time, and that's because the guitar is an extension of himself, it sounds human, it portrays his emotions and pain. If I listen to some shred guitarist like Malsteem, it just sounds cold and lifeless, because their body isn't connected to their guitar as such. The speed sacrifices the emotion to my ears.

Anyway, that's the best I could describe it. Don't know if it's that clear to anyone else
Quote by Cing Krimson
and that's because the guitar is an extension of himself, it sounds human, it portrays his emotions and pain. If I listen to some shred guitarist like Malsteem, it just sounds cold and lifeless, because their body isn't connected to their guitar as such.

That's silly.

Quote by Cing Krimson
And as I finished that I realise the pit has taken its usual course. Ah well.

We're making fun of the way you and Mack are looking down on something without being able to give any real reason other than because you don't like it.
Quote by theogonia777

We're making fun of the way you and Mack are looking down on something without being able to give any real reason other than because you don't like it.

Shred doesn't have any emotion. That's the reason.
A few things to think about:

Maybe just because you don't like something doesn't mean it has no value to other people.
Maybe you need to stop trying to contrive reasons why other people shouldn't like something.
Maybe people find shred music emotionally stimulating because not all music needs to be slow.
Maybe all arguments about music inherently containing emotion are futile because emotion cannot be measured and exists only in the mind of the listener.
Maybe speed and technique are not what makes shred appealing, but are merely a means to an end.
Maybe accusing someone who spent their teen years practicing 8 hours a day of not being emotionally invested in their music is not a good idea.
Maybe you should stop using David Gilmour as an example of the antithesis of shred every time this argument comes up because BB King is getting jealous.
Last edited by sashki at Feb 23, 2014,
Quote by Cing Krimson
That's an opinion, and a myopic one.

It's kinda like when people say "all ______ is bad" and you just know they haven't looked at all.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by sashki

Maybe just because you don't like something doesn't mean it has no value to other people.
Maybe you need to stop trying to contrive reasons why other people shouldn't like something.
Maybe people find shred music emotionally stimulating because not all music needs to be slow.
Maybe all arguments about music inherently containing emotion are futile because emotion cannot be measured and exists only in the mind of the listener.
Maybe speed and technique are not what makes shred appealing, but are merely a means to an end.
Maybe accusing someone who spent their teen years practicing 8 hours a day of not being emotionally invested in their music is not a good idea.
Maybe you should stop using David Gilmour as an example of the antithesis of shred every time this argument comes up because BB King is getting jealous.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
\===============================/
. . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . .
Quote by theogonia777

I don't know why you're looping me in with this guy. I don't look down on shred, I just don't place it on a pedestal like a lot of people do. I've heard fast things that touch me in all the right places, and I've heard fast things that sound boring; the same goes for slow or medium things. A lot of guys who shred are one trick ponies, in the same way a lot of blues guys are.
Quote by Axelfox
Shred guitar is hard to do dude.

i take it you've never stood on the back of a wild stallion while juggling two angry monkeys and a bowling ball. shit's tough to do.
Quote by Dregen
i take it you've never stood on the back of a wild stallion while juggling two angry monkeys and a bowling ball. shit's tough to do.

What?
Quote by Axelfox
What?

you know, like that guy down yonder climbing up into a treehouse with the pickle on his left shoulder. only on tuesday mornings though, 9 AM sharp.
Quote by Cing Krimson
I listen to some of David Gilmour's solos, and I am sometimes so close to crying like a little girl. There's something about his solos that gets me every time, and that's because the guitar is an extension of himself, it sounds human, it portrays his emotions and pain. If I listen to some shred guitarist like Malsteem, it just sounds cold and lifeless, because their body isn't connected to their guitar as such. The speed sacrifices the emotion to my ears.

Anyway, that's the best I could describe it. Don't know if it's that clear to anyone else

Yea because when people look up Malmsteen they probably type in something like "yngwie malmsteen shred". Obviously the search results will be videos of him noodling at max speed with little melodic emphasis. Why not search up some of his actual songs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8KHMJU0LaU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TgCgf1OFr8
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
Quote by Dregen
you know, like that guy down yonder climbing up into a treehouse with the pickle on his left shoulder. only on tuesday mornings though, 9 AM sharp.

Cocks head to one side like a dog's
Quote by sashki

This.

All the people who like shred are going to say shred is worth listening to. All the people that don't like shred are going to say the opposite. It's just your opinion and it's going to result in an endless argument over a topic of subjective nature.
Quote by theogonia777
An excuse to not shred pretty much. If you can bend a note with a fuck-ton of delay with a generic 80's SLO type tone you play with "feel."

Then again, shredding and complexity with guitar I feel is something that should be reserved for the "right person." Like, someone can certainly learn how to play fast and complex, but they won't just pull it off naturally like the right person meant for it would.

Think of it like fedoras: Jonny Depp can pull it off, and look attractive, any other male who's not Johnny Depp who tries to wear a fedora just looks like a neckbeard outcast autist who's obsessed with magic cards and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Very subjective, yes. But easily agreeable once you look at it.
Quote by Cing Krimson

lol

Quote by KrogerChad
I hate when people say that shred and Malmsteen especially, have no emotion.

Bullshit on both parts.

I'm not a Malmsteen fan, but yes, this is how I feel.
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Feb 23, 2014,
I think it comes down to the perception that shred guitar is methodically put together, just a technical endeavor, while slower bluesy playing is more trying to 'express oneself'. Whether or not playing is devoid of feeling depends on the quality of the player and what the listener can connect to musically.
"This one is machine and nerve, and has its mind concluded
This one is but flesh and faith, and is the more deluded."
Page 1 of 2