Someone asked if it is okay to hold an acoustic by the sound hole. My first reaction was no. My initial google search on how to hold an acoustic only covered playing positions. Any comments please?
the top wood of any acoustic guitar isn't that thick, and a guitar isn't braced to be held that way. considering how thick and strong the neck is, holding a guitar by the soundhole would not only risk breaking the wood, but could cause the unfinished edges or insides to become dirty.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
i've been guilty of it from time to time.... no fireballs fell from the sky, aliens never flew out of my cat's butt, girls didn't find me any cuter... but nothing befell the guitar either.
but as Patti said, it ain't worth the risk..... i like my cat.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by royc
Someone asked if it is okay to hold an acoustic by the sound hole. My first reaction was no. My initial google search on how to hold an acoustic only covered playing positions. Any comments please?
There are guitar straps that support a guitar by the sound hole! These are used mainly for classical guitars, and it seems also, Mariachi players. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/planet-waves-nylon-classical-strap

IMHO, this is dumb, dangerous, and likely destructive as well.

Now I have a question, "why would you want to carry your guitar around by the sound hole anyway"?

Those with large hands could conceivably cut themselves, picking up a guitar on the high E string side...

And as Patti pointed out, one of the braces could possibly be jarred loose. (Who knows the condition of the top brace glue job, and who wants to find out the hard way)?
Quote by patticake
the top wood of any acoustic guitar isn't that thick, and a guitar isn't braced to be held that way. considering how thick and strong the neck is, holding a guitar by the soundhole would not only risk breaking the wood, but could cause the unfinished edges or insides to become dirty.

Exactly this. There's really no point in holding it by the soundhole either... It's not exactly easier or anything.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.