Hey, Is this like a common thing on the newer fender standard series teles/strats: weak paint or poly finishes?

I dropped an ebow on my 2012 standard and it took a chunk of paint out down to the bare wood!!

Ive dropped a full set of keys on my mexican and all it did was a tiny scratch..
If you check around TDPRI, you'll see that a lot of the 2010-2012 era Telecasters have paint chip problems, mostly around the neck pocket. I don't know what's up with it, specifically, but your woes aren't unheard. The cool thing about most Fender finishes is that they're pretty robust, chemical-wise. I've turtle-waxed a couple Strats before without any hurt, honestly.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
If you check around TDPRI, you'll see that a lot of the 2010-2012 era Telecasters have paint chip problems, mostly around the neck pocket. I don't know what's up with it, specifically, but your woes aren't unheard. The cool thing about most Fender finishes is that they're pretty robust, chemical-wise. I've turtle-waxed a couple Strats before without any hurt, honestly.

And whyyy is fender still charging over $1250 for a defective product?
I wouldn't say it's 'defective,' per se. Sure, the paint might be frail, but in the end it cracked because you dropped it.

I hope that doesn't sound too forward and mean, I don't mean it that way. A lot of the more 'breathable' finishes are more fragile and prone to chipping. Fender had heard criticism for years about their polyester and polyutherane finishes on guitars. While I don't think (from memory) that your guitar is a Nitro one, I know that fender tried to make some quote-unquote better finishes through that era on their Standards to make them more open.

If the guitar still plays and sounds good, that's what really matters. When you get a cosmetic ding it's a big bummer, but I don't know if one can ultimately call that Fender's fault. They made guitars for years that would withstand drops and dings, but then people complained about the sound. In that era they made a finishes that supposably 'sounded' better, and everyone complained about the dings. It's a catch 22 as a manufacturer.

Sucks that your Tele has a gouge in it, man. That kind of stuff always seems especially apparent on flat bodies. The only thing left to do is play it a whole lot.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Feb 23, 2014,
^^^^

I've heard so many complain about the "thick poly finishes" and how it restricts tone somehow. Just like how on gibson boards they complain about the thick epi poly finish but also say that it'll at least still look new after years of gigging.

fender goes to a thinner poly finish that people have been asking for that isn't as durable and now people complain about that.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 23, 2014,
Quote by JustRooster
I wouldn't say it's 'defective,' per se. Sure, the paint might be frail, but in the end it cracked because you dropped it.

I hope that doesn't sound too forward and mean, I don't mean it that way. A lot of the more 'breathable' finishes are more fragile and prone to chipping. Fender had heard criticism for years about their polyester and polyutherane finishes on guitars. While I don't think (from memory) that your guitar is a Nitro one, I know that fender tried to make some quote-unquote better finishes through that era on their Standards to make them more open.

If the guitar still plays and sounds good, that's what really matters. When you get a cosmetic ding it's a big bummer, but I don't know if one can ultimately call that Fender's fault. They made guitars for years that would withstand drops and dings, but then people complained about the sound. In that era they made a finishes that supposably 'sounded' better, and everyone complained about the dings. It's a catch 22 as a manufacturer.

Sucks that your Tele has a gouge in it, man. That kind of stuff always seems especially apparent on flat bodies. The only thing left to do is play it a whole lot.

I dropped a piece of plastic on it. I cant imagine what would happen if I bumped into my guitar player's guitar. The neck might snap.
This thing feels like a collectible rather than a workhorse. I almost dont wanna play a live show with it, I'd rather just use it for recording and use my Mexican for shows because I've had that since 2005 and it has exactly 1 scratch on it, and it's been through about 300+ gigs.
Quote by xbouncer927
I dropped a piece of plastic on it. I cant imagine what would happen if I bumped into my guitar player's guitar. The neck might snap.
This thing feels like a collectible rather than a workhorse. I almost dont wanna play a live show with it, I'd rather just use it for recording and use my Mexican for shows because I've had that since 2005 and it has exactly 1 scratch on it, and it's been through about 300+ gigs.

you are grossly over reacting. Just play the thing. It's a strat. It will take the abuse.
Quote by xbouncer927
$1250 for a guitar that cant keep its paint on is not "grossly over reacting".

Not if you’re a woman freaking out because your vajazzling jewels got knocked loose. Nut up and enjoy having some wear on your guitar.
Quote by xbouncer927
$1250 for a guitar that cant keep its paint on is not "grossly over reacting".

my Squiers keep their paint on and i beat the shit out of them. Wanna trade?
You dropped something on your guitar, it's not Fenders fault that it got damaged when you damaged it.

It's also not a collectible. A nice guitar probably, but don't get too blinded by the name. A MIA is a great workhorse and won't be worth anything. Just play it and don't drop shit on it.
Quote by Mephaphil
You dropped something on your guitar, it's not Fenders fault that it got damaged when you damaged it.

It's also not a collectible. A nice guitar probably, but don't get too blinded by the name. A MIA is a great workhorse and won't be worth anything. Just play it and don't drop shit on it.

You're missing my point. A piece of plastic shouldnt take paint off down to the bare wood. I didnt throw the damn thing either, nor did I drop the guitar. Paint shouldnt be so brittle or soft. I didnt think I'd have a relic in 48 hours of owning an AMERICAN.

Also for what it's worth, the finish is wearing off where it rests on my leg, but I guess that's my fault because of my sandpaper-pants

Quote by peskypesky
my Squiers keep their paint on and i beat the shit out of them. Wanna trade?

I wouldnt mind

So does anyone know if it's true that fender is selling these with thinner finishes?
Last edited by xbouncer927 at Feb 24, 2014,
Just a fyi, guitar wood doesn't breath. Those trees are quite dead. The finish type doesn't effect the sound as much as the thickness. Gibson lops on nitro super thick so saying its better is a myth.

I would contact Fender. I'm sure they don't warrantee paint but if it is a really crap finish job they may help you out. Well as long as it wasn't a flying elbow. Good luck.
Quote by xbouncer927
Hey, Is this like a common thing on the newer fender standard series teles/strats: weak paint or poly finishes?

I dropped an ebow on my 2012 standard and it took a chunk of paint out down to the bare wood!!

Ive dropped a full set of keys on my mexican and all it did was a tiny scratch..

yeah my billy corgan sig is like that, it sucks, I think I'm gonna strip it eventually and swirl paint it.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Quote by xbouncer927

I'm confused, but all 2012 that are not a AVRI's or a strat like the EJ strat are Poly finish. This is not a widely known problem for strats, in fact poly is used because it doesn't crack or wear like nitro.

I had a 2012 American standard in jade pearl metallic, dropped it right on the edge of the new cases dented it pretty ok but no paint loss. You either hit it pretty good or got a lemon.
song stuck in my head today

from a few days ago...

Quote by xbouncer927
As the title suggests,
I am getting a USA Fender standard Telecaster but notice the differences in finish.
The USA one is Polyurethane while the mexican one (the one I have) is polyester.

How does one vs the other handle in terms of wear and tear? scratching, dents or dings? My mexi is pretty beat up atm.

Quote by xbouncer927
So basically an American standard's finish is weaker than a mexican...?

Why bother getting an American then? I thought they were better.

I dont wanna get a guitar where if I bump my keys into it, itll scrape the paint off.

from yesterday
Quote by xbouncer927

You drop a lot of stuff on your guitars....and you worry about dropping stuff on your guitars....
Last edited by peskypesky at Feb 24, 2014,
If it was that light then maybe there is a fault in the finish.

If it's wearing away from just arm wear after such a short amount of time, and it's a poly finish then something is a bit wrong there. But if you don't like the look then you should probably stop dropping shit on them!
Quote by Mephaphil
If it was that light then maybe there is a fault in the finish.

If it's wearing away from just arm wear after such a short amount of time, and it's a poly finish then something is a bit wrong there. But if you don't like the look then you should probably stop dropping shit on them!

I returned a 2011 American Standard Telecaster which had finish issues from the start, and got another. Today that also has some strange looking areas. I did however decline sending it in to Fender under warranty, because of liking the guitar and not being concerned about the problem.

My 2008 American Standard Stratocaster in the same colour (Candy Cola) has no finish issues at all, and that one is my most used guitar.

I would contact Fender to hear what they say. It is true that finish is an exception of warranty but if the finish is clearly faulty from the factory - who knows.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
I returned a 2011 American Standard Telecaster which had finish issues from the start, and got another. Today that also has some strange looking areas. I did however decline sending it in to Fender under warranty, because of liking the guitar and not being concerned about the problem.

My 2008 American Standard Stratocaster in the same colour (Candy Cola) has no finish issues at all, and that one is my most used guitar.

I would contact Fender to hear what they say. It is true that finish is an exception of warranty but if the finish is clearly faulty from the factory - who knows.

This is a 2012, it's 2014 I doubt fender has anything to say at this point.

I posted it for sale today, gonna try out some other tele's. Gonna get a 2011 - older one.
Quote by xbouncer927

I dropped an ebow on my 2012 standard and it took a chunk of paint out down to the bare wood!! .

If you drop an ebow on your car, it could easily take a chunk of paint out down to the bare wood...er...metal...er...fiberglass. Don't blame the flippin' guitar!
Quote by dspellman
If you drop an ebow on your car, it could easily take a chunk of paint out down to the bare wood...er...metal...er...fiberglass. Don't blame the flippin' guitar!

What kinda car do you have ? o.O
Quote by xbouncer927

Guitars get damaged, especially strats, it's like they are naturally attracted to scratches, wear, damage.

I could drop a nuke on my strat and it'd be fine, I kinda with I could actually wear down the finish to bare wood, but its got like 5-6 mil of poly finish so it's bomb proof.

If that's what you wanna do then you should return that guitar since you'll just be using the mexi for everything. What's the point of having a nice MIA strat if you aint' gonna use it even if the finish isen't bomb proof?
Quote by xbouncer927
This is a 2012, it's 2014 I doubt fender has anything to say at this point.

I posted it for sale today, gonna try out some other tele's. Gonna get a 2011 - older one.

Fender's warranty sucks ... period ..... if you really want a Fender get a G&L , you get twice the guitar for the same money and a 10 year warranty on the WHOLE guitar, Fender doesn't come close .... I came so close to getting a new Fender American Standard in 2012 and reading post's like yours makes me glad I didn't , I would be in the exact same circumstance as you ....