Budget 1k
Genres Fusion and Prog (Porcupine Tree, Pain Of Salvation, The Aristocrats)
Head plz
Located in Mexico but will get it in the USA
Used please

I already recommended him Mark IV and Sig:X (I have seen both for 1k in Guitar Center). Any other you think he will like?

Thank you

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Feb 24, 2014,
Peavey JSX
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Roadster
Mesa Tremoverb
Carvin V3
Marshall JCM2000 DSL

Really lots of stuff will fit the bill. It's mostly up to him listening to amps and finding one that clicks with him.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Pain of Salvation's guitarist used to use the same head I use, Laney VH100R. I would definitely recommend it. Bright cleans, good crunch and amazing drive channel. Not too much gain on tap if you compare it to the likes of Carvin V3 or Mesa Mark IV, but still enough I suppose. Could use a boost for solos though (I do). I personally love this amp and if you have the chance, check it out. 2 channels (footswitchable), both have drive modes (footswitchable), individual reverb for both channels (footswitchable) and parallel FX loop (use one for A and B or connect for both). If you got interested, http://www.laney.co.uk/products/product_details/141

I would also recommend the Laney L50H
http://www.laney.co.uk/products/product_details/71

Quote by Offworld92
Peavey JSX
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Roadster
Mesa Tremoverb
Carvin V3
Marshall JCM2000 DSL

Really lots of stuff will fit the bill. It's mostly up to him listening to amps and finding one that clicks with him.

^+1 on Carvin V3 and JSX, amazing amps. The V3 has a lot of options and a lot of gain on tap, shouldn't be necessary to look for a pedal for those nasty, liquidy lead tones. JSX is quite, maybe too heavy distorted when on the highest gain, but it has good sounds and provides the liquid lead tones you need from time to time.

I don't personally like JCM2000s high gain distortion and I don't think it fits at least Pain of Salvation bill.. Although the OD1 channel could nail the heavy crunch tones of PoS. Porcupine Tree, I don't have too much knowledge of their tone.. Guthrie Govan currently uses Victory Amplification, a new amplifier company in the U.K. Can't remember what Guthrie used before Victory.

Personally, as far as Mesas go for me, I like the Royal Atlantic's sound and Mark series sounds, but not the general Mesa sound, that most people who go for Mesa look for. I guess that's why I use Laney. But I would not dare to not recommend Mesas, they're well-built and bloody good amps for those who like their sound. I also see that you, TS, have a Mesa, that's a nice one. Congratulations, no matter how long it has been, hope it serves you well.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Thank you guys. He is getting his first REAL amp and he is very excited.

Sakke: +1 on that Laney, and Govan has used Suhr, Fender, Cornford...

About my Mesa I say YES, It serves me well, I truly think it's a keeper. Thank you.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Any Orange for this purpose?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Perverockstar69
Any Orange for this purpose?

I would think they would be way too much wool for this type of thing.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Ok, thank you

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
I wouldn't get an Orange, as mentioned.

Amps that weren't mentioned yet, but I think are worth mentioning:
Mesa Lone Star
Mesa Stiletto
Budda Superdrive
Framus Dragon
Marshall JVM
Carvin Legacy (maybe?)
Soldano Astroverb
VHT Pitbull
VHT Deliverance
Thank you all.

I also recommended him a Laney Lionheart L50H, while it doesn't have lots of gain on tap, it's tone is amazing and certainly can get that liquid character for the leads, it's a nice option with an od pedal.

He tried my Royal and he is also considering it, he just told me he could raise his budget to about 1.5k if that helps for more contenders...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
+311 Laney VH100R.

Lionheart might be too low gain to be safe.

+1 Fryette Pitbull, cool amp. I'm a fan of the Hundred/CLX version myself, not a big fan of KT88s (heresy, I know).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 25, 2014,