I have only ever play on fixed bridges and a few guys that use floyd rose and I guess they tell me they don't use it that much as one would expect - so i ask them why have one then! well they say it looks cool on there guitars,

So what do people think about floyd rose tremolo on a guitar do you think it makes any difference to sound , play , even if you don't use the tremolo that much ? I am thinking about getting one it would be my first guitar with a F bridge and i do like the look of them.
I have one. I don't use it much. But, it does make a good hard tail when locked off. They lack in sustain compared to a string through. If you don't plan on using the floyd, there's really no reason to get an axe with one. Unless you want to try it out. In which case, I would ask a friend if I could try there's, first.
You should get one only if you plan on using it. I use mine, that's why I have them.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
I like using whammy bar. I may not use it a lot but I kind of feel lost if there is no whammy bar. I don't think I would need a Floyd Rose though because I usually don't abuse my whammy bar. I do slight vibrato stuff with it and sometimes dives. But that can be done with a standard tremolo too. I also think the Floyd Rose is a bit too sensitive (though it may be due to the set up).

I don't really like the locking nut and bridge tuners. The guitar is hard to get in tune if it gets out of tune.

But yeah, buy a Floyd Rose guitar if you need a Floyd Rose. But don't buy it if you don't need it. It can be a pain in the ass.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Recently got my first FR after a couple of decades of fixed bridges (or at least blocked off strat-like trems).

Impressions:

Not being able to palm-mute so heavily on the bridge was a pain (raises pitch), but learning to have a lighter touch to compensate has probably been a good thing, leading to better PM control.

Changing strings is definitely more of a pain, especially changing gauges!

The locking nut is nice though, if you're not abusing the trem, then mine tends to stay in pretty much perfect tune constantly.

The worst thing for me is the near impossibility of doing Unison bends. (Bending the string pulls all the other strings flat)
I've heard some people do a kind of double-bend, bending the upper string slightly to match the unison, but I've not been able to nail that technique, so I either have to fake it (quick release and then catching the next note) or give up on them.... and there's loads of stuff I like playing that has them.

However, I do get to go "NEEEEOOORRRRRWWWWWRWRWRWR"
So, it has that going for it.
When people say they are 'a pain to get in tune when they slip out of tune' or that they're hard to set up, these people either don't know how to set one up (which is easy after one or two goes) or have a poor quality bridge.

Been playing guitars with FRs for nearly 10 years now, and never have I wanted to stick to just fixed bridge guitars or non-locking trems at any point. I have an Epi LP I use for playing around at home in other tunings/recording random things that aren't in our tuning, which is fine for rhythm but only a fairly cheap guitar and it definitely lacks hugely for lead playing relative to my LAGs (both are FR-equipped).

Once you know how to level the bridge when re-stringing it, and take the time to stretch the strings while tuning, a decent FR will hold its tuning far better than most fixed bridge guitars without locking nuts/bridges. In fact, on my main guitar (LAG Master Series Arkane) I can set it up, and not have to re-tune or mess with the fine-tuners at all for a few weeks. Non-locking guitars slip out so easily if the headstock gets brushed against something and a tuning peg catches, for example.

My band have a few songs where I've used whammy harmonics or divebombs in solos or as an effect somewhere, so playing our stuff (the only gigs I do) without a whammy bar just feels awkward to me, which is the main reason I bought a second Arkane as a backup... switching from what is essentially a 'superstrat', to a LP if I break a string live, was a nightmare

Basically - try one first, see if you like it or think you could get used to it, and if you do decide to get one just be prepared to put a little time in to learn how to properly restring it and set it up. It's easy once you learn how, even if it does take a little longer
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
When people say they are 'a pain to get in tune when they slip out of tune' or that they're hard to set up, these people either don't know how to set one up (which is easy after one or two goes) or have a poor quality bridge.

Exactly! A properly set up floyd shouldn't need to be tuned until you change strings. Save for minor adjustments at the fine tuners once in a while.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
^He knows what he's talking about.(the guy above this one)

My crappy licensed floyd stays in tune better than my bro's fixed bridge or my friends Strat. Just set it up properly. Takes a few tries but you'll eventually get it done in >1 hour.
The minute I played a Kahler I rejected even the thought of a screwed up Floyd ever again. If you want to go double locking tremolo it does not mean that there is only a Floyd Rose tremolo. Many other brands make such tremolos, Ibanez has it Pro Edge which is also superior.

Fact is that the floyd Rose is famous due to being offered by all the companies and not for being user friendly. It hasn't even evolved so much since the 80s. The Kahler on the other hand can be used as fixed bridge when locked in place.
"I would happily pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today"

-Poldo (the guy with both hands in his pockets!)
My Floyd really never gets out of tune (even if I do crazy dives and bends and stuff like that) but sometimes it's a bit flat or sharp compared to other instruments or it's not perfectly in tune. That's when it gets annoying. When you tune one string, the other strings go out of tune. And sometimes just turning the bridge tuners isn't enough and you need to open the locking nut and it takes time to get it in perfect tuning. But yeah, it stays in tune very well. It's just hard to get in perfect tuning.

It would be cool to have similar system to what Guthrie Govan has - he doesn't have a locking nut. But that's just my opinion. And it could be a bit less sensitive.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
yeah if you're going to use one, get one, if not, don't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I bought my jackson with a Floyd even though I never had one before. I learned to use how to get it to stay in tune but I ended up blocking it. Not just for the usual tuning reasons and because its a hassle. I blocked mine because the loss of sustaine and tone was just completely unacceptable. I couldn't believe the difference.

Do note that I had a licensed Floyd rose not official so I'm not sure how much the cheap metal had an effect on that.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Last edited by UFC on VHS at Feb 24, 2014,
I have 2 guitars with Floyd Rose-bridges (out of 12 total). Both with high-quality bridges.

I never use the system and rarely have the tremolo bar in, but I like the tuning stability it gives. It is not hard to restring at all and once setup they have stayed that way. The only downside to me personally is the risk of breaking a string. On a hardtail, I could in theory finish the song, but the Floyd-equipped guitar will go out of tune as soon as the string break. (You could of course block it, but I have not done so.)

Owning a FR-equipped guitar is just slightly more work than a hardtail, but it has better tuning stability once in tune.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I have two guitars with Floating trems. I have them because I like using them. If I didn't I wouldn't have ever bought them.

If it's going to be your only guitar, I would not get one. If you change tunings a lot, I would not get one. If you like doing huge epic squeals and making crazy noises, get one. They are awesome to play with. IMO
They're great to play around with imo, plenty of nice trem tricks you can do that are a lot of fun. And if you want to play a Hardtail guitar you have the option of getting a Tremol-No and having the best of both worlds.