Can I have my treble strings set at the lowest action possible and my bass strings at a much higher action? That is how my guitar is set up at the moment but when I tried setting intonation I could never get it right!So does my action on both treble and bass strings need to be equal to each other?
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
No they don't have to be equal. In fact most people set the action with the treble strings slightly lower than the bass strings. If it plays the way you like, you've got it right.
No.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by stormin1155
No they don't have to be equal. In fact most people set the action with the treble strings slightly lower than the bass strings. If it plays the way you like, you've got it right.

This.

The thicker strings actually vibrate over a wider pattern and will buzz more easily with lower action so it's quite common to have the treble strings set a little lower.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Yeah pretty much what everyone has said so far.

LOL at your sig (that's the main reason I posted in here )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, like everyone has already said.

If you're having trouble with intonation, bear in mind that having the pickups set too high can cause the strings to vibrate funny and make the intonation constantly off.
Quote by Twofly
Can I have my treble strings set at the lowest action possible and my bass strings at a much higher action?

"Much Higher Action" on the bass side is probably a bad idea. Generally the difference is about 1/64", not much more than that. Gibson recommends (I believe) something around 3/64ths" at the 12th fret on the treble side, 4/64ths" on the bass.Might be a 1/64" higher than those two measurements since their fretwork has become a bit more variable of late...

Carvin used to (may still do) guarantee that their action could be set "as low as 1/16th" from the 24th fret with no buzzing frets." That's considerably lower than what Gibson recommends, but it's meant to illustrate how well their fretwork is done as the guitar arrives from the factory. They delivered on that, too.

I have one of these from StewMac; handy little tool:

Last edited by dspellman at Feb 25, 2014,