I would like to recharge my AA batteries from my isolated 9v multi-tap power supply. Does such a thing exist? I have a Line6 G30 transmitter pack that needs AA's. I'd like to be able to have a pair of AA's recharging in my pedal board while I'm rehearsing/gigging, but I don't want to have to plug in a AA charger to the wall to do it. I'd LOVE to use one of the 9v outputs from my isolated power supply that's powering all my other effects. It's a cheap Alctron power supply I got from a friend for $50 which is doing a brilliant job. It has 5 outputs at 9v 120mA per port. Can I do it? eBay searches haven't turned up anything easily.
I mean, anything's possible, but if you're looking for a commercial kind of deal you're not gonna find it. You would have to jerry rig something yourself and there's no guarantee you wouldn't destroy your batteries. Your best bet is to just suck it up and plug in a normal charger.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Cool idea. Maybe you could find some info on instructables.com. Or wait for Cathbard
Don't do it. Nicads and NiMh are bitches. Just supplying the voltage + overpotential will charge the batteries but it's risky. Proper chargers detect when the battery is charged and turn off. Go buy a small charger and mount that on your board. You don't want the suckas to explode in the middle of a gig. Chargers are cheap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 24, 2014,
the voodoo labs pedal power 2+ has a courtesy plug on it. you could have used that.

i mounted a thin power strip to my board as well for such things.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Yeah, well. You're running mains power anyway, what's a small mains powered battery charger gonna complicate? As you say, gumbi, plug it into the courtesy port. But even if you didn't? there's mains there somewhere.
You can get some pretty snazzy ones these days. Maybe poke around ebay. You're bound to find something you like. Don't dick around, get an actual charger, not just a voltage source.

Edit: Actually, I just had a thought. USB is only 5V and you can get USB AA chargers. So all you'd have to do is make an adapter with an LM7805 inside it. They come with a mains adapter usually too, I guess they're 5V. Go in there. You'd have to find what voltage it is. If it's out of range, power it via the USB.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 24, 2014,
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
All great replies, thanks everyone.

Maybe I just need to install a small proper charger. I suppose I could cut off the plug of my Power supply and install a piggy-back version, and then plug the charger into that. I want to avoid the weight and bulk of a power strip, as I'm going for bare-bones and lightness.

Thanks for your input, one and all
Last edited by chrisgeoguitar at Feb 25, 2014,