Hey, guys & gals!

It's time for a new guitar after playing with my current Ibanez SZ320 exclusively for around 10 years.

My budget is 1000€ max (=1.3k usd), but bear in mind that I live in Helsinki and prices are way higher than in the states and somewhat higher than in the UK.

I play all sorts of music, but mainly my focuses are hardcore punk (defeater, comeback kid, la dispute, title fight, converge, etc. etc.) and rock/metal/prog (protest the hero, tool, dream theater + guys like Vai, Striani) but I also like to play some blues / blues rock. Optimally I'm looking for a guitar that has a HB - SC- HB or HB - SC - SC setup. From the single coil I'm looking for a lower output, more bluesy, more trebly sound. Guitar style wise, I like simple, classic, and natural. I don't want my guitar to look like plastic, I like that you can see that it's made out of wood.

My main amp is an Orange TH30 head + cab. So class A tube, with a humongous amount of gain, yet it's still more of a rock amp than a metal amp. And that's kind of what I want from my sound. I'm not looking for a tight modern metal sound, but more old school. Check out some songs by Title FIght, pretty much the kind of rhythm sound I'm after (they all play Oranges).

From the pickups I don't want anything too extreme, but it has to be able to handle a good amount of gain. Concerning woods, my current guitar is mahogany, which I've liked so far. I don't know much about guitar woods to be honest.

About the bridge, I'm torn between getting a guitar with a floating trem, or a fixed one. I don't know how to play with one and I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle. Then again it would be cool to have an extra tool to work with.

I can go used, but I'd prefer new I guess. There aren't that many places that sell used so it might be tough to get a used guitar with all the specs that I'm after.

So far I've looked at an Ibanez S970 http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/The-new-Ibanez-premium-S-s/td-p/32785890, it had most of the specs I'm after. If you people have some kind of opinion about that guitar, please share it!

thank you!
Last edited by AmIEvil? at Feb 24, 2014,
Have you considered an HSS Strat? Very classic (in terms of looks/brand) and super versatile...

As for the bridge, that'll all be up to you. I loved my floating bridge, but hated fiddling with it (came to dread string changes). That being said, I think others get along with them just fine and have no problems. I now prefer a standard trem or fixed bridge.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
^^ I was gonna say the same thing.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
normally if you can at all, the thing with ibanezes is to get up to the prestiges.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
normally if you can at all, the thing with ibanezes is to get up to the prestiges.

How much better are they / what's the difference? Also I've heard from some that prestiges used to be a lot higher quality like 10 years ago, and now they're not as good. THoughts?

Quote by richardpalmer
Have you considered an HSS Strat? Very classic (in terms of looks/brand) and super versatile...

As for the bridge, that'll all be up to you. I loved my floating bridge, but hated fiddling with it (came to dread string changes). That being said, I think others get along with them just fine and have no problems. I now prefer a standard trem or fixed bridge.

It has crossed my mind. How well do you think a HSS strat handles metal? Aren't strats usually made of very bright sonding woods? My impression of strats is that they're really twangy and trebly. But maybe that's more the single coils.
Fat strat (HSS) should be good. The twang is from the single coils, mostly. Maybe get a rosewood fretboard on it. They are a little warmer sounding, as I understand.
Ask the guys from Iron Maiden if strats can do metal. Most of that sound will come from your amp and effects anyway. Get a black one and you'll be fine.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 24, 2014,
The Ibanez S series would be a good place to start looking. They have a prestige model called the S5570 that has a somewhat natural finish and has an HSH setup. You should look it up. As for build quality, Ibanez's aren't really my thing so I really couldn't tell ya.
I just came back from trying out a Fender American Special HSS strat. It had an Alder body with maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. Bridge PU was an Atomic humbucker, single coils were texas specials. The guy at the shop wasn't very informative, so does anyone here have any opinions on this guitar (concerning the specs, build quality, stories etc.)? Apparently the Special is a cheaper model than the Standard. Also I don't know much about the PUs, except that the guy said the Atomic is "very Jeff Beck-like". I played through a 5 watt H&K Tubemeister combo (with a 10' speaker) and while I really liked the sound and the feel, it was very bright and trebly, especially the single coils, even with the tone adjusted to half. It really lacked low end in my opinion. This could be because of the pickups, or the small speaker, or due to the guitar woods (alder and maple are bright, correct).

I really appreciate the opinions and the information, keep 'em coming!

http://www.f-musiikki.fi/kitarat-ja-vahvistimet/sahkokitarat/fenderam-spec-strat-hss-blk-rw-115700306

Quote by Templar980
The Ibanez S series would be a good place to start looking. They have a prestige model called the S5570 that has a somewhat natural finish and has an HSH setup. You should look it up. As for build quality, Ibanez's aren't really my thing so I really couldn't tell ya.

What's your impression on the build quality? In Finland S prestige models are usually somewhere 1300€+, so that's a bit too steep unless I find one used.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Then only guitars I've seen sold around here of those you mentioned are Godins, and only a couple of models. What can you tell me about the quality of these intstruments?
Godins is a small-ish company in Canada. Quality seems to be uniformly pretty high; all of their production is in Canada in just a couple of factories. I have liked every Godin I have had a chance to play (all Session or Progression models), and consider myself an idiot for not buying at least one of them.

I'd say the Godin "Strats" I've played were universally better than MiM Fenders, and some were comperable to or better than MiA Fenders.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Godins is a small-ish company in Canada. Quality seems to be uniformly pretty high; all of their production is in Canada in just a couple of factories. I have liked every Godin I have had a chance to play (all Session or Progression models), and consider myself an idiot for not buying at least one of them.

I'd say the Godin "Strats" I've played were universally better than MiM Fenders, and some were comperable to or better than MiA Fenders.

I actually tested this godin a month or so ago: http://www.godinguitars.com/godinredline3p.htm (it was the one with black finish and rosewood fingerboard) , have you by chance tried one? It was the only Godin model they had left and apparently they've had that one model there for quite some time, the price was something like 450€ (down from original 800&euro. It's a bit different that what I'm looking for right now, but I could possibly get it for a cheap high quality metal guitar in the near future

Unfortunately I think that's the only Godin I've seen sold around here.
Quote by AmIEvil?
(a) How much better are they / what's the difference? Also I've heard from some that prestiges used to be a lot higher quality like 10 years ago, and now they're not as good. THoughts?

(b) It has crossed my mind. How well do you think a HSS strat handles metal? Aren't strats usually made of very bright sonding woods? My impression of strats is that they're really twangy and trebly. But maybe that's more the single coils.

(a) normally a fair bit better. better all-round, and normally have far better trems (which is an achilles heel if you have a good guitar with a bad trem which won't stay in tune).

I've heard that about the older ones too. I haven't tried any newer ones since about 2006 so

(b) depends on the type of metal. If you're talking 80s metal and the like alder is great for that. the bridge might also be the concern, too- I could be overthinking this (and I might be making this up) but the normal strat-type tremolo is quite sparkly-sounding which might not help heavier tones. On the other hand I've tried guitars with quite similar trems (not identical- the wilkinson VSVG and vs401v) and they've sounded fine for heavier stuff with a decent bridge humbucker (or p90) in there.

I guess the trem probably adds to that sparkle and twang but if you have a good humbucker in there it'll likely be fine. As you said, I think it's more the strat-style single coil.

EDIT: yeah as you said, it could be the amp or the small speaker which gave it the trebly sound, too. It's hard to tell when there are so many variables. I haven't tried the american special, I should add.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 25, 2014,
Quote by AmIEvil?
I actually tested this godin a month or so ago: http://www.godinguitars.com/godinredline3p.htm (it was the one with black finish and rosewood fingerboard) , have you by chance tried one? It was the only Godin model they had left and apparently they've had that one model there for quite some time, the price was something like 450€ (down from original 800&euro. It's a bit different that what I'm looking for right now, but I could possibly get it for a cheap high quality metal guitar in the near future

Unfortunately I think that's the only Godin I've seen sold around here.

I haven't tried the Redline 3, but I have tried the Redline HB, briefly. It's a nice-feeling shredder's hardtail with hot, passive HBs. I recommend them from time to time.

Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) normally a fair bit better. better all-round, and normally have far better trems (which is an achilles heel if you have a good guitar with a bad trem which won't stay in tune).

I've heard that about the older ones too. I haven't tried any newer ones since about 2006 so

(b) depends on the type of metal. If you're talking 80s metal and the like alder is great for that. the bridge might also be the concern, too- I could be overthinking this (and I might be making this up) but the normal strat-type tremolo is quite sparkly-sounding which might not help heavier tones. On the other hand I've tried guitars with quite similar trems (not identical- the wilkinson VSVG and vs401v) and they've sounded fine for heavier stuff with a decent bridge humbucker (or p90) in there.

I guess the trem probably adds to that sparkle and twang but if you have a good humbucker in there it'll likely be fine. As you said, I think it's more the strat-style single coil.

EDIT: yeah as you said, it could be the amp or the small speaker which gave it the trebly sound, too. It's hard to tell when there are so many variables. I haven't tried the american special, I should add.

a) Found this S prestige model used (sorry, it's in Finnish) http://muusikoiden.net/tori/nayta.php?id=852077 . Unfortunately it's in Lapland (roughly 1000km from where I live) so no chance of testing :S
here's the same new. http://www.levytukku.fi/ibanez_s5470bbk
Used: 1000€
New: 1500€

fwiw both S Premium and S Prestige have the same Edge-ZR2 trem. That's the one with the ball-bearing system, which I've understood is very good?

b) Concerning metal, I don't really ever play stuff like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden, I like a darker sound when it comes to metal. But then again, because that's not my main genre, I don't want to sacrifice other aspects (versatility mainly) to get a perfect metal sound (I don't even own a metal amp).

Yeah, it is really hard to understand what aspect of sound comes from where. WOuld be nice to test a guitar with ones own amp
I haven't tried the edge zr2

and yeah if you like a darker sound then mahogany may well be better, but as you said, it depends on how much metal etc. you're likely to be playing etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AmIEvil?
It has crossed my mind. How well do you think a HSS strat handles metal? Aren't strats usually made of very bright sonding woods? My impression of strats is that they're really twangy and trebly. But maybe that's more the single coils.

It'll handle metal perfectly fine.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
If you're into metal Ibanez, old Jackson/Charvel's , Dean's & ESP's are great guitars.
Fender strats are a better choice for blues & neoclassical styles... how much of that do you play vs the darker metal as you call it. Your user name screams Thrash, old Metallica to me.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.