Hey guys, I realise that this may have been posted before, but as I am still relatively confused relating to guitar recording, I would like it if someone gives me some suggestions.
Bottom line, I want to start recording decent quality guitar tracks, either for covers or for making own songs. I can use reaper to a reasonable extent, but I'm open to other software such as logic/record/cubase/whatever.
My current gear consists of an HT-5 (has a rec/headphone out), Ibanez iron label 7 (EMG 707/Edge trem), Jackson RR3 (duncan actives/licensed floyd), metalzone boss pedal (I know, but it helps as the passives on the duncans are really low output) as well as a rocksmith 1/4 inch -> USB cable.
I have tried recording from the HT5 directly, but the hissing from the distortion is just too much. I have tried using a noisegate or subtract from reafir but to get rid of all the noise limits the rest of the sound a bit too much, or leaves a bit of weird hissing at some mid frequencies. It works ok on clean though.
I tried amplitube by connecting the guitar directly to the computer, but it's not the best quality (i tried using the clean from the HT5 but it's too boomy and doesnt distort well in amplitube, maybe that's my fault).
Anyway, I think I need an audio interface, but from there i don't know what to look for. Does it matter which audio interface I use? and from there would i need any other pieces of equipment, e.g. effects? Or would I be better off just buying a noisegate pedal and sticking it in the effects loop? I would rather not record with a mic, as i want to have the option to use different tones (e.g. in amplitube). Please keep it under £200 total if possible. I live in the UK. Thanks in advance
P.s. if you need me to I can provide sound samples in some way.
First of all reaper is excellent, just stick with that.

Second, yes you need a cheap interface. Something along the lines of an M-audio fasttrack would do.

Third, once you have the interface, there are two ways you can record without a microphone. You either plug your guitar straight into the interface and you use something like amplitube to simulate everything, OR you run a standard guitar cable from your amplifier's effect send into the interface, you record your amplifier preamp, and you simulate the rest.

Audio interfaces do matter, but when getting started, just get something cheap and functional. You won't need effects, they are all in reaper for the most part. Reaper has a noise gate for one. If you want different tones, you CAN use something like amplitube or Revalver, but there are also a LOT of free amplifier and cabinet simulations on the internets.
WTLTL 2011
You should consider checking out something called impulses for programs like Amplitube and Guitar Rig. In really simple terms they're basically modelling the sound of specific speaker and mic setups so that you can run an amp model into it. Sounds a lot better than the stock sound banks in the program. Also, some programs take a lot of tweaking to get a nice sound so try out all the amps/cabs built in and see what you like.

If you're not looking to record with a microphone, you could get something simple like a Line 6 GX. It also comes with it's own modelling software if you want.

Also, check out LePou. He makes really nice amp sims and has a cabinet loader for impulses thats really easy to use.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You should consider checking out something called impulses for programs like Amplitube and Guitar Rig. In really simple terms they're basically modelling the sound of specific speaker and mic setups so that you can run an amp model into it. Sounds a lot better than the stock sound banks in the program. Also, some programs take a lot of tweaking to get a nice sound so try out all the amps/cabs built in and see what you like.

If you're not looking to record with a microphone, you could get something simple like a Line 6 GX. It also comes with it's own modelling software if you want.

Also, check out LePou. He makes really nice amp sims and has a cabinet loader for impulses thats really easy to use.

Truth. That's how I record. LePou Lecab and a nice impulse. I wouldn't recommend the Line6GX though, had one, it died in less than a month.
WTLTL 2011
Thanks guys. I might check out impulse or lepou, but that shouldn't be a problem for now. As the closest music store is PMT, would i be correct in assuming that any of the following would be fine for my purposes?
http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/alesis-core-1-inline-audio-interface.html
http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/m-audio-mtrack-portable-usb-audio-interface.html
http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/roland-duo-capture-mkii-audio-interface.html
http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/line-6-pod-studio-gx-usb-audio-interface.html
http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/line-6-pod-studio-ux1-usb-audio-interface.html
I have a decent microphone back in bulgaria, would splashing a little extra cash be worth it for getting something with a mic input? (e.g. pod ux1/ux2 or the M-audio one). I don't sing much myself but it may prove useful, as I have a friend who I could colab with? Otherwise, would a mic work with the other interfaces if I find an XLR->1/4" or smth similar?
Check out the Recordings forum, There are stickies there that will tell you everything you need to know.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by LeftimusMaximus
One of these:

http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-USB
Comes with studio one artist for free. An amazing DAW that I have used many times to record full bands.

I just ordered one of those Presonus recording bundles, it's in the mail already. Can you have unlimited tracks with Studio One? I was thinking about getting reaper.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Yes, unlimited tracks are usable with the artist version. It is a fully functional DAW on its own. The biggest difference between the 3 levels Artist, Producer, and Pro is that producer opens up the ability for 3rd party plug ins and pro opens up their mastering tools. This is going to seem like a shameless plug for my band but to get an idea of what it can do. www.reverbnation.com/battlered Forgotten 60 second sample was recorded in Studio One on Firestudio projects.
I like Cheetos!
Quote by LeftimusMaximus
Yes, unlimited tracks are usable with the artist version. It is a fully functional DAW on its own. The biggest difference between the 3 levels Artist, Producer, and Pro is that producer opens up the ability for 3rd party plug ins and pro opens up their mastering tools. This is going to seem like a shameless plug for my band but to get an idea of what it can do. www.reverbnation.com/battlered Forgotten 60 second sample was recorded in Studio One on Firestudio projects.

Ahh I see. I knew it was limited by something, and now I know what that is. Thanks man!
[..BLACKFIRE..]
It is only a $100 upgrade to get producer and they run sales throughout the year for 50% off. I don't do any mastering so that is all I need for now. The built in plugins are great too, professional quality lots of presets to start from, and everything is easy to use.
I like Cheetos!
Quote by LeftimusMaximus
It is only a $100 upgrade to get producer and they run sales throughout the year for 50% off. I don't do any mastering so that is all I need for now. The built in plugins are great too, professional quality lots of presets to start from, and everything is easy to use.

Thanks for the heads up about the upgrade deals. I'll give Studio One and Reaper both a test run.
[..BLACKFIRE..]