So, I've been upgrading and adding some pedals to my pedalboard, and will display this in chronological order! I've included pictures, short reviews and sound clips for everything. The clean sound I used all the pedals with sounds like this.

First off, I got rid of my Flashback X4 (which I still think is a great pedal) for a Strymon TimeLine. I had been craving for one for a while and finally decided it was time.

To put it delicately: this thing is amazing. It's astounding how user-friendly, yet capable of that much this pedal is. I didn't expect any less though, the experience I have with the Mobius in mind.

I use it for simple delay stuff like slapbacks and casual solo delays, but also for more complex delay patterns and chaotic passages in some of our songs. Pulls it all off without a hassle and the spill-over is really nice.

There are loads of videos about it online and if you're really interested, check them out for sure, but I did a quick recording with it anyway, which can be found here.

Next, I got the Electro Harmonix Soul Food.
I read a lot of positives about it online, both here and elsewhere, and was curious to hear what it sounded like and if I could have a use for it. I was pretty surprised when I went to the shop to test it, to be honest. I expected something decent, but not really spectacular.

Well, it's not spectacular, but it is a great pedal for the price, in my opinion, and everyone looking for a drive pedal in the price range should get one, I think. It pushes a clean amplifier nicely, smoothens a drive sound pretty well and could be used as a stand-alone drive sound if it really needed to, but I'd rather not. All in all, pretty decent and actually nice for 65 euros.

The only thing that bothers me is that it has a loud pop the first time it's engaged (goes away after the first time). I could have a faulty one, but seeing EHXs history with this, I don't think I do. It doesn't matter all that much if you know it does that anyway, just engage it once to get rid of it.

The major positive in my opinion is that it's different to other drives at a low price (such as the Bad Monkey), while it still is reliable for live usage. I use it as an "always on"-pedal personally. It gives that little push my Orange needs on the cleans and it blends well with the other drives on my board. Sound Clip.

Then I took some time, realised I still wanted a good (crazy) fuzz and a good stand-alone drive pedal, because the drive channel in the TH30 never really fitted for my band.

So I got 2 pedals at once. The first one is a ZVEX Fuzz Factory.

It's well-known and I think everybody knows what it can do and how crazy it can get, which is why I got it. I use it pretty gently for now, but in an experimental phase, I'm sure I'll use it heavily. A quick sound clip can be found here.

What I love about it, is that it can be used with whatever settings, really, if you go with it. Touch some knobs blindly, engage it, and do something crazy. What it doesn't do is smooth, or I haven't found how it can do it yet. Not a problem though, because I wasn't in the market for a smooth sounding fuzz anyway.

This is just a side-note, but I want to include it. I wasn't in the market for a smooth fuzz, but now I actually am. And I tried it out when I got the Fuzz Factory. It's the Dr. No "Kafuzz!". It's a small brand from The Netherlands and this thing sounded amazing, to be honest. Not what I wanted in the first place, but I'm getting it when I have the money for sure.

Back to the Fuzz Factory: It's great for what I want. Major buzzkill: the LED. It's so small and so dimm, it annoys me. I wonder if it can be changed out easily and if it can, it will be.

And last, but certainly not least; the orange pedal that replaces my Orange drive channel (for now): The Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive.

Sweet Honey indeed. Smooth, thick and articulate at the same time. Really what I needed after all. This could still be honeymoon [see what I did there?] phase, but this is a keeper I think. I already plugged it into a backline at a gig and even then it sounded exactly like I wanted it to sound [and it was a Spider Valve as backline ].

Honestly, I don't need another overdrive now. It does my rhythm-sound head on and an OD808 into it gives me the solo sound I need; perfect.

Some random playing.

All together, I really improved my setup a lot, I think, and these new pedals will certainly inspire me in the writing process coming up soon. ^^

To end off, I have a clip where I used all the pedals, just for laughs.

The base pattern is the Sweet Honey Overdrive with the Soul Food engaged. The first solo is the same sound, the second one is the fuzz factory, both with the TimeLine engaged [on different presets]. Enjoy!
Thanks man! Really like it as well. Looking to add some reverb and maybe something like a synth in the future.
Nice

if you set the soul food to buffered bypass that might cure the pop issue? it might not, i dunno, but it might be worth a try if you haven't tried that already.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Nice

if you set the soul food to buffered bypass that might cure the pop issue? it might not, i dunno, but it might be worth a try if you haven't tried that already.

Wait, what? :P Is that even possible? I'll check that out.^^

@Taz: Yeah, not sure what I'm getting. I'd really like the Strymon trinity, but I still feel the Eventide Space has a bit more to offer.
Yeah, that's what I meant by "the Strymon trinity", being the Mobius, Timeline and BigSky. It's cool for sure.
Quote by I K0nijn I
Wait, what? :P Is that even possible? I'll check that out.^^

according to the specs it is. I haven't tried it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
according to the specs it is. I haven't tried it

switch is internal
Soul food and a FF nice
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by monwobobbo
switch is internal

yeah that's what i thought
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for taking the time to explain and show examples of the sounds your getting. I'm an intermediate player and am wanting to start experirmenting some. I have an Am Deluxe Strat and am using a G-Dec-3 amp. I don't believe it's very user friendly (at least at my level). I'm working on Kirk Hammett's riff in Fade to Black and just can't seem to get the same sound he has at all, not even close. I've been using John McCarthy's DVD "Learn Rock Guitar" (intermediate DVD) program at home and he gets the same sound...a little fuzzy and then the sound changes in the second half of the riff when Kirk slides up to the D at 15th fret on the B string. Since you seem to know quite a lot about the amps and their sounds could you make any suggestions?

Once again thanks, I enjoyed your entire article.
FM
Last edited by Frank M at Feb 28, 2014,
Cheers man!
As for getting the exact tone of an artist: don't bother that much, to be honest. Find a tone that you like and that works for it.

That said, to get that tone, you'll need a whole lot more than a G-Dec, I'm afraid. I'm not sure what was used on the specific song, but Metallica have used a plethora of amplifiers in their history; ranging from clean parts done with the Roland Jazz Chorus, to the harder parts being fully pushed Marshalls (beginning), over Mesa Marks and Dual Rectifiers and more recently Diezels, I believe. A lot of Randall for Kirk IIRC as well.

The intro of course is acoustic, so you'll never nail that with an electric. A Strat is a fine guitar, but Metallica-type stuff really calls for a humbucker, so if you have the classic Strat layout (3 single coils), don't expect to get the same fatness from your guitar.

All amps and possibly pedals aside, there's a lot of processing going on in any studio-recording (and probably on the DVD as well), making it even harder to get the exact tone.

So I'll repeat my statement from the beginning of my post: stick to your guns and use something you like and works; don't get caught up in the whole "I have to sound the same"-thing. Tone is way too subjective to do that.
I changed the internal switch (which was easily found and adjusted, by the way, nice job on that) and that fixed it. Still a small, very slight pop, but that's there anyway. The small pop isn't annoying though. Thanks for that!
Quote by I K0nijn I
Cheers man!
As for getting the exact tone of an artist: don't bother that much, to be honest. Find a tone that you like and that works for it.

That said, to get that tone, you'll need a whole lot more than a G-Dec, I'm afraid. I'm not sure what was used on the specific song, but Metallica have used a plethora of amplifiers in their history; ranging from clean parts done with the Roland Jazz Chorus, to the harder parts being fully pushed Marshalls (beginning), over Mesa Marks and Dual Rectifiers and more recently Diezels, I believe. A lot of Randall for Kirk IIRC as well.

The intro of course is acoustic, so you'll never nail that with an electric. A Strat is a fine guitar, but Metallica-type stuff really calls for a humbucker, so if you have the classic Strat layout (3 single coils), don't expect to get the same fatness from your guitar.

All amps and possibly pedals aside, there's a lot of processing going on in any studio-recording (and probably on the DVD as well), making it even harder to get the exact tone.

So I'll repeat my statement from the beginning of my post: stick to your guns and use something you like and works; don't get caught up in the whole "I have to sound the same"-thing. Tone is way too subjective to do that.

Thank you very much for your response I K0nijn... I'll work on the sound I like