After (foolishly) selling my Vox AC15 and spending very little time playing on my girlfriend's incredibly cheap squire amp, I've finally made my way back into tube amps.

My AC15 also had tube rattle, and I always pondered either one of those condom-like anti rattle things to put on my tubes, but I also never bothered to change the tubes since I bought them from GC.

Now, after being so far away from good quality ampage, I've returned with double the wattage, and the tube rattle in this AC30 is really making me feel like I've made it home. But now I need to fix a problem that has been with me since the 15.

I heard the AC30 was designed to not rattle, I thought? I haven't opened the back yet, but it's not like I'm going to know what to look for. I'm ignorant of the electronics and how they really work. I can also hear a bit of rattling as you move the amp around, but I think I've gathered that it is the spring reverb thingymajig doing that.

My real question is, should I hear anymore rattling if I change the tubes? I'm usually to lazy to do it unless needed, as with the 15, but I hear more and more about the improvement an amp can go through if you change the tubes, and this has been tested at GC for god knows how long so I guess I'll invest in some new tubes up front.

I'm mainly concerned about the rattling right now though, and if it will go away with a new set of tubes.
That being said, is it easy to replace the tubes? I really don't want to get into biasing if at all possible.
Guitars:
Agile AL - 3001
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Agile AL- 2000
Squier Stratocaster VII
Amps:
Vox AC30C2
Vox AC15C1 X
Peavey Vypyr 30 X
Line 6 Spider III 75 X
Peavey Blazer 158 X
It's very easy to change the tubes. If you think you might benefit you might as well change them because you can save the old ones as spares.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Occasionally the tube retainers/heaters will rattle (the first gen Marshall class 5) but some tubes will just rattle regardless of the amp design. You can either buy tube dampers or replace the tubes. Replacing tubes isn’t a great solution because the replacement tubes might also rattle. Tube dampers are cheap, there are Chinese vendors on eBay selling aerospace-grade heat resistant O rings in ten packs for $4.50 with free shipping. I just got a set to quiet a noisy 6V6 tube and they killed the rattle completely.
Pull the tubes out and put them back in again. While you're at it give it a clean. Spary some contact cleaner (NOT WD40) on the tube pins and work the tube in and about three or four times. Even if you have no cleaner, pull and replace the tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for the input.
I bought the model right from Guitar Center, so I should already expect a tube change I suppose.
The dampeners were what I was referring to! It's not really that big of a hassle since its not a ton of work, but I'll start with fresh tubes first!
Guitars:
Agile AL - 3001
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Agile AL- 2000
Squier Stratocaster VII
Amps:
Vox AC30C2
Vox AC15C1 X
Peavey Vypyr 30 X
Line 6 Spider III 75 X
Peavey Blazer 158 X
Last edited by Johnnybizzoy at Feb 24, 2014,
Quote by Johnnybizzoy
I bought the model right from Guitar Center, so I should already expect a tube change I suppose.

If the store employees weren’t deaf that amp wasn’t getting used at a volume that would put much wear on the tubes.
Quote by Johnnybizzoy
After (foolishly) selling my Vox AC15 and spending very little time playing on my girlfriend's incredibly cheap squire amp, I've finally made my way back into tube amps.

My AC15 also had tube rattle, and I always pondered either one of those condom-like anti rattle things to put on my tubes, but I also never bothered to change the tubes since I bought them from GC.

Now, after being so far away from good quality ampage, I've returned with double the wattage, and the tube rattle in this AC30 is really making me feel like I've made it home. But now I need to fix a problem that has been with me since the 15.

I heard the AC30 was designed to not rattle, I thought? I haven't opened the back yet, but it's not like I'm going to know what to look for. I'm ignorant of the electronics and how they really work. I can also hear a bit of rattling as you move the amp around, but I think I've gathered that it is the spring reverb thingymajig doing that.

My real question is, should I hear anymore rattling if I change the tubes? I'm usually to lazy to do it unless needed, as with the 15, but I hear more and more about the improvement an amp can go through if you change the tubes, and this has been tested at GC for god knows how long so I guess I'll invest in some new tubes up front.

I'm mainly concerned about the rattling right now though, and if it will go away with a new set of tubes.
That being said, is it easy to replace the tubes? I really don't want to get into biasing if at all possible.

AC30 are self biasing.
The only difficult thing about changing tubes in an AC30 is removing the screws to remove the chassis.