Hello. I've seen people on Youtube doing covers of songs. They'll be playing all the separate guitar parts of the song (e.g., the rhythm and lead guitars). The video of the rhythm guitar will be the main video, and there will be a window within the main video that shows the person playing the lead guitar. Yet the videos will be synced such that it sounds as if there were two people there playing the guitar together at the same time. But that's not the case. It will be just one person who records one part with the camcorder and later records the other part. Please tell me how to go about doing this. I don't have a camcorder yet, but will purchasing one in the $100 to $200 range. Thanks.

Edit: Some people on Youtube have said that they "multicam." What is that? I don't need multiple cameras to shoot one take. I need to video record the first guitar part and then go back and do the second and they merge them such that it sounds like the second is in time with the first. Please help. Thanks.
Last edited by selftaught1000 at Feb 24, 2014,
You know those clapperboards you see on movie sets? Basically that. Use a visual and audio cue to sync it up.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
You know those clapperboards you see on movie sets? Basically that. Use a visual and audio cue to sync it up.

Hi. Thanks for the response. Could you please be a little more specific? I am a newbie. Thanks again.
You just record the two guitar tracks as separate tracks in your DAW, and sync both videos to the audio you recorded. As jthm_guitarist said a visual cue can help syncing the separately recorded video and audio immensely. You can clap, then line up the peak in the audio with the moment your hands touch in the video.
I don't know if I'm being understood. I am going to record myself playing the guitar. Then I am going to record myself playing a guitar solo. Then I want to put the video of me playing the guitar "on top of" the video of me playing the first guitar. So you would be seeing two videos in the screen: the first of me playing the guitar; the second of me playing the solo. What kind of camcorder and software do I need for this? Thanks.
Okay, are you planning on using the audio from the camcorder too. Because if you are then you're in for a rough time.

The people doing this kind of stuff are recording the audio with an interface and DAW, and then syncing that with a video. The video layering can be done in most editing programs (Pretty sure you can do it in windows movie maker, definitely can in iMovie)
The way they sync those parts up are by playing to a click and then playing a long to the other part as a backing track too. Apart from that it's nothing different to what has already has been said.

Rhythm to a click, Lead to click and Rhythm. Both audio sauces synced to video by clapper substitute and then edited together to cut off the rough edges.

Simples.

But yeah... doing it with camcorder sound isn't going to work.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Feb 25, 2014,
Hello. Thanks. I don't understand why I shouldn't be able to do it using the mic plugged into the camera. I will be playing to a metronome at the same tempo on both recordings. Shouldn't I be able to just paste the second recording into the first recording at the appropriate time? In other words, the first recording is of the entire song. That is the main "track." Then the second recording of the solo is the shorter "track." Then I essentially cut the loose stuff of the (shorter) track and line that waveform up with the main track waveform. Is there something I am missing? I am not trying to make a professional recording.
The way I do it, setup to record on a channel in my DAW and run the camera as well. Camera mic records crappy audio of the full room sound which is my guitar + the song mixed, the DAW records just my guitar. I hit record and the 4 click before the song becomes a sync point. When I edit the video, I mute the audio from the cam and use the audio from the DAW and I sync by lining the audio to video via the 4 click before the song starts. You can repeat as many times as you want. I use Mac's built in Video editor or Vegas Video on PC to do the edits.
Quote by diabolical
The way I do it, setup to record on a channel in my DAW and run the camera as well. Camera mic records crappy audio of the full room sound which is my guitar + the song mixed, the DAW records just my guitar. I hit record and the 4 click before the song becomes a sync point. When I edit the video, I mute the audio from the cam and use the audio from the DAW and I sync by lining the audio to video via the 4 click before the song starts. You can repeat as many times as you want. I use Mac's built in Video editor or Vegas Video on PC to do the edits.

I understand that people can record directly into the computer. I will consider that when I have the time and money. For now, it seems like the easiest thing would be to simply record myself with a videocamera. So I really just need to know if I can do a main and an overlay track, much in the same way you would do it if you had to purely audio tracks and put on the top of the other.
Well firstly if you're doing cover tracks, then you're going to be playing to backing tracks right? How are you going to get that in there too? Secondly, the audio from a camera is going to sound like ass.

And don't use money as an excuse, a guitar link can be purchased for $10 off eBay. I've used things like that in conjunction with a smartphone camera and it'll produce a better sound/video combo than using a camcorder mic ever will.
What they said about using your camcorder to record both your guitar and the backing track is right. It's very hard to hear the backing track and to get the right mix between it and your guitar.

I'll use my crappy youtube cover as an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt0JHtUpIiY

Essentially used a Samsung S3, played my guitar into a micro cube and had the phone next to the Mac in order to hear the music. As you can hear, the sound isn't great. If you want to be taken more seriously, do it how the others suggest. If you're doing it just for fun and don't want to spend money, then follow the way I did it but expect the limitations that come with it...

That being said, what are some of the programs for a video editor (Mac) to merge the audio from the DAW and the video?
Last edited by ThatGuy_17 at Feb 26, 2014,
Quote by ThatGuy_17
That being said, what are some of the programs for a video editor (Mac) to merge the audio from the DAW and the video?

Just about any video editor can at least merge the video and audio. iMovie definitely can.

And if you're doing it on a budget you're better off getting one of those guitar links off eBay and then using the camera from a phone or anything else you may have than you would be buying a camcorder.
Quote by chatterbox272
Just about any video editor can at least merge the video and audio. iMovie definitely can.

And if you're doing it on a budget you're better off getting one of those guitar links off eBay and then using the camera from a phone or anything else you may have than you would be buying a camcorder.

I am really struggling to keep up with people's suggestions. All I am saying is the following:

1. On the main recording, there will be guitar coming out of the amp. I will be singing, but not directly into a mic. Just while I'm sitting there. There will also be a metronome that is the standard metronome that you buy for $30. The metronome is just to stay in time. I don't need it to be heard. I need the guitar and my talk-singing to be heard. I plan to do what my either using the internal mic or buying a stereo mic and plugging it into the camcorder.

2. For the solo take, I will just be playing the guitar with a metronome in the background. Again, I don't need the metronome to be heard.

That's it. And the question is whether I can just use track 1 as the main track and track 2 as the overlay track with video studio software. That is, when I merge these waveforms, will the audio merge such that it sounds like track 2 is being playing in time with track 1?

Once I get a definitive answer to this question, I will consider the other recording techniques. I am not trying to make a sophisticated recording.
The metronome not being heard means that you might need to have it on headphones, otherwise will leak on the recording. Make a four count on the rhytm track (say even four guitar strokes) so then you can sync.

You can probably record the rhytm via the video cam, then blast the audio through speakers and do the other part.