Hello all. Hope you're doing well.

I'm trying to build a rig I can get some quality sounds out of. I currently am running a BC Rich JRV-7 (pickups will be swapped soon) into a solid-state Fender Princeton Chorus. I actually like the cleans I get out of this thing. It just seems like it can be a bit one-dimensional. Like, I can get a couple of really good sounds, and if I had the options to tweak it a bit more I could really get some mileage out of a surprisingly cheap amp.

I have considered the route of buying a whole new setup, but I see quite a few things in my way. One, it seems that it's going to be hard to find something versatile enough to suit all my needs without spending a ton of money (I play a little of everything from old-school thrash, funk, blues, hard rock, poppy punk, electronic, etc etc).

I've been playing around with the idea of a preamp of some sort, but I'm not sure if it's going to get me where I wanna go. I need versatility, but I'm not sure if this will help me achieve such a goal. Plus, if I feed the preamp into the input of my Fender, won't it also be getting processed through the Fender's preamp, or is there a way to bypass this that I'm not aware of? And if it does go through the Fender pre, will that alter the tone in such a way as to make the new preamp a moot point?

Basically, I need to get some more sounds at a price that won't kill my wallet (or break my back). I'd like to spend less than $1500 total. I don't care if the overdrive channel sucks, because I'm not above sticking a couple dirt boxes in my signal chain to get where I want to go. I would like it to have a lot of toneshaping options as well (hope that makes sense). Sorry if I'm getting a bit long-winded. At any rate, if anything I said needs further clarification please don't hesitate to ask
EVH 5150III or Mesa Rectoverb should do what you want.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
It does seem to be quite versatile. And it wouldn't be a pain to lug around. I'm not terribly familiar with tube amps - 25 watts would be enough to get heard over a drummer and still have clean headroom, correct? I know I'll have to go try one out some time soon, it would just be good to know as a reference point.
Quote by Ashakoh
(I play a little of everything from old-school thrash, funk, blues, hard rock, poppy punk, electronic, etc etc).

The Marshall JCM2000 DSL can do all of that easily. And it's like a $500-650 head. They pop up on Craigslist and Guitar Center Used all the time.

Quote by Ashakoh
It does seem to be quite versatile. And it wouldn't be a pain to lug around. I'm not terribly familiar with tube amps - 25 watts would be enough to get heard over a drummer and still have clean headroom, correct? I know I'll have to go try one out some time soon, it would just be good to know as a reference point.

Extremely dependent on the drummer. Some drummers maybe. I'd guess that most drummers, no. 50W is a safe place to get totally clean cleans with a non-metal/punk drummer. If your clean cleans are really important, just go for 100W. Better safe than sorry.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 25, 2014,
+1 Mesa combo - they beat anything Fender is putting out now. They're pricier, but it really is worth it.