So, there's a guy I'm talking to who wants to trade his 67 Blackface Bassman (with matching 2x15 cabinet) for my 1975 Twin Reverb.

The Bassman was the amp I always wanted, but I got the Twin for a really good deal and I love it. But still, I really want a Bassman.

So...should I do it?

I play fuzzy alternative rock kind of stuff. Everything from the Melvins to Dinosaur Jr to Guided By Voices.
If it's the amp you want and it's in good condition, why not?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ibanezguitars44
If it's the amp you want and it's in good condition, why not?

I guess I'm mostly trying to figure out if it's the amp I really want, and not just the amp I think I want.
If its within a reasonable drive for you, go try and try it out. If he really wants to trade it/get rid of it, he should let you try it out for a while. And bring your Twin maybe, so he can try that out as well.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
If its within a reasonable drive for you, go try and try it out. If he really wants to trade it/get rid of it, he should let you try it out for a while. And bring your Twin maybe, so he can try that out as well.

I should definitely do this
I guess I'm mostly trying to figure out if it's the amp I really want, and not just the amp I think I want.

Very good point!
Quote by Ippon
Can't you just buy it, if you need to keep your TR?

Can't afford it. I don't need to keep the Twin, I just like it a lot.
Quote by iwannabesedated
So, there's a guy I'm talking to who wants to trade his 67 Blackface Bassman (with matching 2x15 cabinet) for my 1975 Twin Reverb.

The Bassman was the amp I always wanted, but I got the Twin for a really good deal and I love it. But still, I really want a Bassman.

So...should I do it?

I play fuzzy alternative rock kind of stuff. Everything from the Melvins to Dinosaur Jr to Guided By Voices.

Is that even a question? Black face is better and so is older. A bassman sounds better then a twin. It will sound so good you wont even want reverb. The 2x15 cab is probably worth more then your twin. Sounds like your getting a deal and he doesnt want to carry around 2x15. It will undoublty sound better substantially but do you want to lug it around.
Do you need crystal cleans at stupid volumes, or can you use some grit when you crank up the volume? If I had that opportunity I think I'd go with the Bassman, as I like dirtier amps in general. It's all about what suites your musical expression best.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by iwannabesedated

So...should I do it?

I'd get the Bassman.
KEEP THE TWIN! my 73 twin has been my side man for over 20 years and has done multiple gigs , if its fuzz you need add a pedal !
KP62
Oh man Bassman all the way. A buddy of mine has a Bassman and a Twin and I have played them side by side. Bassman for me.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Bassman.

Especially if that's the amp you've always wanted.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
They are both great amps, flip a coin! Life is short so get the one you want. Personally, I would take a 64 Super Reverb over either of those. Oh... wait, I already did.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Do it
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Honestly, meet up like someone has already said, and really give it run through and see for yourself. Let the other guy do the same so its a fair trade.

I don't think you should blindly trade and hope his amp isn't ****ed up or that you don't like it. I find it is safer for both parties to meet and both to give everything a run through and make sure they agree on the trade.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Alright, so the Bassman thing fell through but I'm working on a trade with a guy for a 68 Bandmaster Head right now. AB763. It works, but other than that I know next to nothing about its condition. The guy said it might need some new tubes. No speaker cab either.

I'm thinking his head + 300 bucks for my Twin. Sound like a good deal?
Aren't Bandmasters usually pretty cheap in the US?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Aren't Bandmasters usually pretty cheap in the US?

For the non-reverb 70s Silverface ones, yes. You can get them for $250 to $300 usually. However, the Blackface and early Silverface heads can go for $500-700.
I've summoned the expert for you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Shame about the blackface. Those are some nice amps.

Really the best thing in any situation if you're doing a trade is to meet up with both your amps, have a few bevvies and try them out together. You'll know pretty quickly which one you prefer.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Well, I read through this thread thinking you were going to be trading for a blackface bassman. You're talking about swapping a mid 70s silverface era amp for one of the most sought after amps Fender has ever made. That would have been a no brainer.

Bandmasters are different, but the blackface ones are still quite desirable, as far as I'm aware.

Bare in mind that a Bandmaster and a Bandmaster Reverb are different animals. The name implies that the Bandmaster Reverb is just a Bandmaster with reverb slapped onto it. In actuality, the Bandmaster Reverb is just a silverface Super Reverb circuit thrown into a head. Not a Bandmaster circuit. Weird naming convention. Also, the BMRs only came in silverface form.

All that being said, if it's a blackface bandmaster you're talking about, I'd still consider it. I don't know the value of your 75 twin off hand, but that's around the time when Fender amps are becoming less desirable. They'd started adding master volumes and altering the circuits more extensively by then. There's no doubt about what you're getting in terms desirability with a real blackface Fender.

If it's a silverface and you're being told it's 68 and the blackface schematic, you better be careful to verify that. Not because an altered silverface schematic is that much different, but the perception changes its value.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
with the current deal, i would pass.

why? you have had two offers already, you are likely going to get more maybe for something better. maybe, maybe not. its your decision. likely as well if you keep accepting offers and don't get any, keep the guys number and call him down the road if you can't find anything and he still has it.

/my opinion
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^All fair points.

Mid 70s Twin values are a bit of a puzzle. About five years ago it seems like you could sell one for over $1000 without too much trouble, now you see them for about $800 and they're not really going anywhere.

As for the Bandmaster, I have yet to see it in person, but I've seen pics and he gave me the date codes and whatnot. It all checks out as a 68, and the amp appears to be in good but not great shape. I'm going to try it out before it changes hands obviously.