I recently bought a Mexican Phat Strat. I knew buying it I'd be putting new pickups in it down the line. Its a great guiatr and my second strat. My other three electrics all have duncan pickups including my strat which has hot-rails.

Originally I was thinking of just a JB in the bridge to get a chunkier sound for hard rock and metal but I have decided I want to replace both of the single coils. It sounds fine now but I want a fatter tone with more clarity on cleans from the middle/neck plus more twang for red dirt and country. Basically I want this guitar to versatile as hell because I listen to every thing from hard rock, metal, and blues to jazz and country.

I just wanted some suggestions for pickups and am open to other brands besides seymour duncan. Nobody seems to make pickup sets for HSS strats. It was really easy finding a stack to hot rod my other strat. I'm also confused on how to go about wiring the replacement pups as this is my first guitar with both a humbucker and single coils.
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
Are you looking to replace the singlecoils with something to match the JB? Or are you looking for a HB, too?

Also, budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
^ +1

also, do you want the singles to balance with the split humbucker, or with the humbucker on full whack?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Are you looking to replace the singlecoils with something to match the JB? Or are you looking for a HB, too?

Also, budget?

It doesn't have a JB I just have them in two of my other guitars so I'm looking for a humbucker as well. Doesn't have to be a duncan though. My budget isn't a big concern since I got the guitar for a steal.
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
Last edited by Luke200420 at Feb 25, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ +1

also, do you want the singles to balance with the split humbucker, or with the humbucker on full whack?

I want the humbucker on full whack and the singles balanced with one another.
Still a bit foggy- do you want the singlecoils to match the output of the split humbucker or the higher output of the humbucker in normal operation?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Still a bit foggy- do you want the singlecoils to match the output of the split humbucker or the higher output of the humbucker in normal operation?

If by normal operation you mean when switched to all pickups then I'd want the single coils and humbucker to match to keep the sound from them balanced. I would still get all the output out of the humbucker when switched to the bridge position though right? I don't want to compromise the output of the humbucker when using it by itself but I want to keep the output balanced when using the humbucker and single coils together.

Thanks for the recommendations as well. Really liking the Tesla's. Can't say I've ever heard of the brand before but I like what I've seen so far.
To clarify, when a HB is used in split-coil mode, its output drops a bit.

So, if the Singles' output match the HB in coil-split mode, the HB will be a bit hotter than the Singles when it is operating normally.

If, OTOH, the Singles' output match the HB in normal mode, the HB will be a bit quieter than the Singles when it is operating in coil-split mode.

My custom Camelback III from Rock Beach is set up the first way. It has Tesla Opus-S1 singlecoils in the neck and middle position and a bridge Tesla VR-Extreme HB. Normally, the VR brings a bit more punch to the party than the Opuses. But when split, it sounds like I have 2 Opuses and a slightly dirtier but still pretty balanced singlecoil in the bridge.

As for Tesla pickups in general, I first heard about them when I saw a review of the Malden Subhuman. I have since seen them on other brands, mostly Asian ones that cater to the hard rock artists. As mentioned, I liked them enough to out them in a custom build.

...and while my custom was being built, the luthier decided to do an identical Tesla HSS setup in his own personal guitar.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 25, 2014,
Okay I know what your saying now my Schecter had coil taps for its humbuckers. As for as the Tesla's I'm thinking a VR-Nitro in the bridge and Opus S-1s in the middle and neck.
That could be a decent combo. I can definitely say the Opus-S1s sound very nice. Creamy. Messing around tonight, I had them putting out a tone similar to J. Frscisnte's from the RHCP's "Can't Stop".

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 26, 2014,