Just reading last years post on finger independence exercizes. I never knew really the importance of warming up, and was wondering what kind of warm ups people do.
Thanks
Oh yeah, and why does that article (mar 22-2013 on finger indepence exercizes) mention the evils of noodling? Is noodling a bad thing? Does it distract one from more efficient means of improving? I've done nothing BUT noodle for 25 years! Yikes!
I usually do the picking patterns accurately and moderately fast, until I feel my fingers are literally warmer, or I do Buckethead style 8-finger tapping exercises (I just can't nail his technique completely >_< . Then I go to playing serious stuff.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Quote by steveharley70
Just reading last years post on finger independence exercizes. I never knew really the importance of warming up, and was wondering what kind of warm ups people do.
Thanks

I just play… anything. After a few minutes I'm warmed up. Doesn't sound as impressive as saying " I play chromatic exercises extremely slowly to a metronome and then gradually increase speed", but it's a lot more practical and musically applicable, and just as effective for warming up and finger independence.
This is what I consider to be the purpose of warming up.

When you practice your technique or learn anything new there is a loss of retention over time.

Warming up reinforces your technique habits so that after the 16 hours that you haven't been playing you can get yourself back to where you were.

Think of it as reviewing what you learned.