Hey guys I had a question, I was wondering what tube has the earliest breakup of those 3. My current amp is 55watts and has 2 6l6's. No matter how hard I push the master volume they remain clean. If I turn up the channel volume, I can easily achieve breakup for the preamp tubes. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong to get breakup, use another tube that would help, or is bad for the amp/tubes

Thanks guys in advance
EL84 will breakup the quickest, then EL34 then 6L6 if you are looking for powertube breakup earlier
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Turning up the channel volume won't just be increasing preamp distortion - it is also feeding a bigger signal into the power section.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What amp is it? Usually amps can't run 84s AND normal octal tubes...

But yeah, as Cath said, you have to feed a bigger overall signal, If you have a two channel I would be on the clean channel and crank the master and channel volumes, that way you'll get limited preamp distortion, which IMO doesn't sound good when it is mixed power amp distortion, at least not too much of it.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Cathbard
Turning up the channel volume won't just be increasing preamp distortion - it is also feeding a bigger signal into the power section.

So having the channel volume low isn't helping me?
Yeah just having the master volume cranked isn't enough, you are actually going to have to get it loud. Looking at the front of the V55, I see there is a "Clean" knob and a "Gain" knob, a volume, and a master. I'm assuming that the clean and gain knobs are respective gain knobs for the two channels?

In any case, you want to have master up, volume up, and use the gain knob as a volume knob. I suggested doing this on the clean channel so you won't get as much preamp distortion, which can sound messy when too much is mixed with power amp distortion.
Clean is volume for the clean channel, volume is the volume for the drive channel and master is, well, the master.
Ok I gotcha now, does the gain knob apply to the clean channel or just the dirt channel? If it does apply to the clean channel, jack the clean volume and master up and use the gain as volume. If it doesn't, use the jack the master up and use the clean volume to get your distortion. Any way you do this, it is going to be really loud, just a warning.
Poweramp clipping = very high volume = sexy

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
When the weather warms up, I might as well crank up the amp on my front porch......sry neighbors >
play the national anthem on the 4th.

if anyone bitches they're a traitor.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
You are lacking the basic understanding about how it all works. The gain, channel volume and master volume are all just volume controls that live in different positions along the signal path. Each one increases/decreases the overall volume. The channel and Master volumes are past the preamp so increasing those doesn't affect preamp distortion. All of them however affect how much signal gets to the power tubes and therefore power amp distortion.
To make it clearer. The volume knob on the old non master volume amps is the gain control on a master volume amp with the others set to maximum. So it follow that to emulate a non-mv amp you turn channel and master to maximum and use the gain control as your volume. You will get a combination of preamp:power just like an old non-mv amp.
There is no way to get power amp distortion without preamp distortion unless you add a second preamp in the fx loop. Power amp distortion occurs when it's LOUD. You can't get it without massive amounts of volume.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 25, 2014,
Quote by gregs1020

WHOSE national anthem?
If it's The Qaumi Taranah, you need to be alert for drone activity before you start.
dude lives in philadelphia.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.