Hi

I want to learn how to use MATLAB. Does anyone know any good places to learn from online? thanks
cat
www.mathworks.com/help/pdf_doc/matlab/getstart.pdf

Mainly helps you to get the syntax, not really something that learns you how to be a programmer. I learned maybe by doing and then trying to find the necessary code online. Then again my programs are hugely ineffecient as I use basic syntax to create everything.

Loops, loops everywhere.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Feb 25, 2014,
Mmmm not really but I can scan one of my Matlab books for ya, and give you any pointers along the way, if you'd like. What makes you want to learn the engineers' language?

Edit: ^ that too. Mathworks has some great forums as well.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
A lot of US universities tend to drop lecture notes for MATLAB classes online, worth reading them, just do a google for MATLAB lecture notes. Otherwise there used to be some good tutorials on Youtube but I can't remember who by.

As far as I remember MATLAB isn't very complicated. I mostly use R these days though so I don't remember much of it.
Mathlab isn't complicated but the optimization software it has is hilariously stupid. Gets stuck in every single local maximum/minimum. SO you have to write your own code for everything if you want it to work.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Woo thanks I'll check out mathworks/lecture notes first!

I want to learn it because I always hear all my engineer friends complain about it and I guess I'm just curious about it haha, also seems like it might be useful for a research project I have coming up
cat
Do you have any prior programming experience?

Think any academic should know how to use some program.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
As an engineer, I can tell you matlab is great to use once you figure it out... but there are so many functions in it, and it gives some fantastic errors for stupid things once in a while
I just kinda picked it up by working from other people's code and the mathworks docs sry

What I'll say is if this is your first programming language, make sure you pick up the underlying principles cos matlab is being gradually replaced with python in the scientific community. (And octave but that's basically the same thing as matlab but open source)
Yeah it's my first. (I did some stuff on codeacademy about a year ago because my cousin was doing it and it looked fun, but I really don't remember anything or even what language I did)

I want to work on projects that require a basic understanding of bioinformatics but the more I know the better it'll be, right, so I want to learn this (and other things) properly. I thought I'd start here since I know a lot of people who know it so they can help me out if necessary (but I'd rather figure it out on my own)
cat
Only yesterday did I hand in some MATLAB coursework for uni...
I relied on mostly lecture notes and the help command. I guess that's not too much help?

What is it you're doing on MATLAB? Different tasks will use different sets of commands.

EDIT: If the answer is bioinformatics then I have no idea what that is
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Feb 25, 2014,
Most important thing in matlab is to know how to use the for, if and while loops :p you don't need anything else apart from the basic mathematical operators.

Standard functions are for pussies.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
MATLAB is also convenient for solving ODEs numerically and plotting. It's basically a really good calculator with all of it's built in math functions.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I was using MATLAB last semester, we simulated automated systems that were supposed to stabilize themselves when a disturbance was introduced to the environment, also calculating the maximum possible disturbances that can be applied. To mention, we mostly used simulink to construct systems, not direct programming.

Either way, this is a great software for all engineers to learn to use. I assume you can find great tutorials and examples online.
Quote by Vanhalaf
I was using MATLAB last semester, we simulated automated systems that were supposed to stabilize themselves when a disturbance was introduced to the environment, also calculating the maximum possible disturbances that can be applied. To mention, we mostly used simulink to construct systems, not direct programming.

Ah yeah I did this too last year!
How much programming/coding/scripting experience do you have?
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Try to write your own code for built in Matlab functions like sum, std, mean, and the likes to get a hang of simple loops and syntax.

Then find some project. The deep end is the only place you'll learn. And don't forget the "Help" window. It's amazing.
Quote by Saintsatan

And don't forget the "Help" window. It's amazing.

This too.

In the command window, you can type "help<space>topic" and you will instantly receive the basics on the parameters, arguments, etc. For example you can type "help while" or "help ode23" or "help plot"

And anytime there are errors in your code, error statements will appear in the command window. If you don't understand them, just copy them into the mathworks forums and you should be able to identify the problem.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Thanks everyone!

Quote by JimmyBanks6
How much programming/coding/scripting experience do you have?

Almost none haha
cat
I used matlab to simulate the EPR spectrum of a simple aromatic molecule in lab last year but it was just so confusing the programs we used had strange names.