Just curious what everyone's favorite snare drum they have owned or played is... I've been on a snare buying-frenzy recently and am curious what everyone else is liking.

Pics if you've got them!

Here's mine:

Custom C&C 8-ply maple 13x6.5:
  • Trick throw-off
  • Puresound 20-strand blasters
  • 8 tube lugs
  • triple-flanged hoops
  • Hazy 300 reso head
  • Genera HD Dry batter

AWESOME sounding drum... I never really understood why I loved this thing so much until I took it apart yesterday to clean it - every 13" snare I've ever played was too poppy for me and didn't have much body, this thing is like the anti-13" snare - it sounds HUGE! - still plenty of pop, but none of the thin qualities I associate with 13s. The HD Dry head helps to even out the overtones - this is one of the few wood drums I've owned that I actually really enjoyed the sound of in the room. Upon inspection of it yesterday, I noticed the bearing edges on it... what a work of art! I've heard people say the reason these drums are so liked is because of the bearing edges, but I had no idea why until now...! Unfortunately, I just sent it out this morning in trade for another snare I've wanted for a while... I hope it can measure up, cause there's not much chance of me finding another like this one again, unless I commission it for way more than I'd ever want to pay!

While we're at it - What's your favorite head combination?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
That's a pretty nice snare.

I use a 1972 5x14 Ludwig Standard snare drum with an absolutely hideous gold strata finish. It's actually a mid level drum from Ludwig, and they can still be found fairly cheap on eBay. In terms of shell construction..... it's a fairly thick 3-ply maple/poplar/maple shell with reinforcement hoops. As heads go, I've tried a lot of them over the years (when I first got it, it actually still had an old Ludwig head on it), but have found that the best sounding head combination seems to be a Remo diplomat snare side head (with a single small square of duct tape placed near the edge) with an Aquarian coated Focus X batter head. I can tune the drum high and get a very defined, piercing sound with strong, focused rimshots without a lot of the unpleasant overtones I find in thinner wood shells and metal shells tuned in such a manner.

The only complaint I have about it is its antiquated snare strainer mechanism. I have to feed a small nylon cord through two tiny holes and then tie it off. It eats through those cords pretty quickly. I'm actually thinking of having it replaced with a more modern strainer mechanism.

The slow connection at my current location prevents me from uploading a picture, but it is similar to the drum pictured at this link, except a hideous gold hue and my chrome looks nowhere near as good as the chrome on this drum:

http://www.olympicdrums.com/sitebuilder/images/Ludwig_Standard_Ruby_Strata-600x405.jpg
^Nice!

I bought some shells a few weeks ago that I thought were Ludwig Standards, but they turned out to be Classics (3-ply with re-rings and granitone interior). While those Standards were "mid-level," they actually use the same shells as the Classic series, they just has the cheaper hardware on them. Many guys actually end up upgrading to Classic lugs/hardware, but some also prefer the sound of them with the Standard hardware, as it's lighter and they feel it lets the drums "breath" more.

I'm surprised you don't like the Gold Strata finish, though. I always thought that was a cool wrap. I might have to look into the Standard snares and see if I can get one for a decent price to go with my Classic kit!

In other news, my Supra should be here tomorrow, so I'm pretty excited! I also spent 2 hours last night with the 14x8" walnut/maple stave snare I got on Saturday that I've been having issues tuning and I think I've finally figured it out. Sounds pretty awesome!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Just bought my own version of this. It's carbon fibre laced with brass.

But then there's also this one I just finished, now has a die cast top hoop.

Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Last edited by Niiko at Feb 26, 2014,
Here's the new one I got Saturday:

FINALLY got it sounding good today...

M4 Drum Co. 14x8" Walnut stave w/ maple inserts, die-cast hoops & (2) 1-1/2" vents. Sounds pretty beastly now that I've figured this puppy out!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Friends snare he just finished building. And yes, those are ALL individual blocks!

Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
I hate my snare drum. It's a POS. Looks nice though. That's pretty much the only thing going for it.

EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
^^Wow, that segmented snare looks awesome! What are the woods?

^What snare is that? Looks interesting...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
^What snare is that? Looks interesting...

I don't think it has a model name, it's just a custom 14x5.5 (I think) 10-lug snare made by a Spanish company called Santa Fe custom drums. It won't stay in tune, the threading on the throwoff has gone and it won't stay in the up position so I've had to tape it all up. As I say though, it looks good, so I guess it's a nice drum for people who value style over substance.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
I don't think it has a model name, it's just a custom 14x5.5 (I think) 10-lug snare made by a Spanish company called Santa Fe custom drums. It won't stay in tune, the threading on the throwoff has gone and it won't stay in the up position so I've had to tape it all up. As I say though, it looks good, so I guess it's a nice drum for people who value style over substance.

Interesting. Too bad it has flaws, what a shame for a "custom" drum
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Interesting. Too bad it has flaws, what a shame for a "custom" drum

I think they probably had a few too many Siestas on the job...
EH

Quote by eddiehimself
I think they probably had a few too many Siestas on the job...

Or Margaritas!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com