I just got an audio interface which is the Behringer 302USB 5-input mixer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EHILV4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and I'm using the program Tracktion 5 to try to record. I am LOST. Absolutely lost. I have the normal 1/4" cable from my guitar to my Audio Interface, and then the USB part from the back of the interface to my computer, but do I need the red and white cables? I honestly am new to this and have no idea what "input" or "output" things do or "line in" and "line out." Can somebody PLEASE help me out this is so frustrating. All I want to be able to do is record through my audio interface with Tracktion 5 WHILE listening to it through headphones or my computer speakers. Thank you.
Line-in and out are for plugging into line-level devices, which you have none of. Unless you have speakers that take RCA jacks (the red and white inputs), just plug your speakers and headphones into the headphone output. None of the rest of that stuff matters for your uses, just plug your guitar into the Mic In section, turn up the gain, select the track you want to record from on your software and hit record.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Line-in and out are for plugging into line-level devices, which you have none of. Unless you have speakers that take RCA jacks (the red and white inputs), just plug your speakers and headphones into the headphone output. None of the rest of that stuff matters for your uses, just plug your guitar into the Mic In section, turn up the gain, select the track you want to record from on your software and hit record.

So the sound somehow runs through the USB plugged from my mixer into my computer? That part kind of confuses me... also, will I be able to hear myself play through my computer or headphones WHILE I'm recording?
What's there to be confused about? The USB Interface acts like an external sound card. And you will be able to hear it... if you plug your headphones into the interface.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Rtfm

It's not rocket science.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY