Hey I am pretty new so I hope I am doing this right, but me and my friend are looking for a drummer for a band to play small venues, we have a guitar amp and my friend asked me if he bought the bass if I could buy the amp. The problem is I am stretching my budget to even get to the $200 mark and I need a guitar amp. So my questions are what do you guys think about going for the Peavey Vypyr VIP 2(40 Watts) which says it can run both or buying a bass amp(I think guitar center has a Peavey MAX 110 II 1x10 100Watts bass combo amp for $200)and running my electric guitar though it? I like blues rock, think clapton and hendrix style tones using a tele. Sorry for the long post and thanks for any replies.
I have the VIP-3.

100W is not enough power for a bass to cut through in a band situation. 40W will be even more useless.

What gear do you have already?

$200 is simply not enough to work with to get a giggable rig for guitar and bass.

You can get used VIP-3s for $200 though. It will at least be better than the VIP-2.

Unless that is the absolute limit of your budget, I strongly suggest getting as big of a powered monitor as you can find, and a modeling unit like a Line 6 POD.

I have an Electro-Voice ZLX15P that I got used for $350. You can get Line 6 POD X3s and POD HD300s for around $200.

If you have a PA of some sort you can use, you can just get the POD.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
My Fender BXR is only 60 watts, and I have used it at many different practice situations for a decade. I even use it for gigs. Cuts through just fine. It does have a 12 inch speaker, so it's moving more air than a 10 inch.
Do you guys have a PA yet? Get a DI box for the bass instead of an amp. Or POD like Offworld says.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Last edited by ryanbwags at Feb 25, 2014,
I started out playing bass through a Bass Pod XT (I think I paid between $60 and $80 for it, used). From there out to the PA.

You need power for bass (I'd suggest 300-400W minimum solid state), and you need full range speakers that can handle it without farting out. Dirty little secret speaker cab: Carvin LS 1503. www.carvinguitars.com/products/LS1503, around $299. Single 15" LF driver, 6" mids, 1" HF driver.

Dirtier little secret -- have the band buy two and put them on speaker stands as the PA. Run them with a small mixer and a 1500W solid state power amp. Run your Bass Pod XT into the mixer, job done. Just keep the drummer out of the vocal mikes.
Last edited by dspellman at Feb 25, 2014,