I have two 4 conductor pickups installed in my SG. They sound great with no feedback whatsoever. I would like to be able to split them and still have them sound good. I was originally going to wire them both to a DPDT on/on mini toggle until I start reading topics online about coil splitting VS. series parallel. I was also considering a rotary switch w/chicken head for more optional playing styles. There both signature Gibson and Lace pickups if that helps. I would like to hear any recommendations since this is my first attempt with splitting coils. Thanks..
which pickups are they? splitting arguably works best with slightly hotter humbuckers (as split they're closer to the output of true single coils), though I suppose you could probably make a similar case for parallel wiring too (since that also drops the output).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Does it? In my (very limited) experience of it I always think parallel sounds closer to a (lower output) humbucker but splitting sounds closer to a single. As you said, parallel is still hum-cancelling which is pretty handy. I probably prefer parallel to split, but if I wanted as close to single coil tones as possible I'd still go with split. That's just me, though (and may well just be the specific pickups I've tried, I wouldn't want to make an overarching claim based on my limited experience).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well based on my experience and people I've talked to parallel sounded closer. I guess one could also argue that single coil and humbucker coil dimensions are quite different. My opinion is if you want a humbucker sound, use humbuckers and if you want a single-coil sound, use single-coils.
Quote by Invader Jim
My opinion is if you want a humbucker sound, use humbuckers and if you want a single-coil sound, use single-coils.

Yeah definitely, same here.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I had a dimarzio pickup with 4 wires in my Les Paul, so I later put in a pull-switch tone control and made it series/parallel. I wanted the hum-elimination. It was surprisingly more useful than I expected. If you want a free/cool addition to your guitar, I'd recommend that.

It won't sound like a Strat though. I used to try to EQ a Les Paul to sound like a Strat. A friend said, if you want a Strat sound, get a Strat. Best advice I got. I believe the pickups and the floating trem (and vibrating springs on it) and maybe to a lesser extent other things are required for a Strat sound. And those single coil pickups are different (number of windings, magnet strength, etc). But that said, you can make a new and interesting sound out of your humbucker with a pull switch or addon switch.
and the trem itself, probably.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My Daisy Rock, Rock Candy has the push/pull tone control built into it. It has Humbuckers, and the knob setting does make quite a bit of difference. I'm still to much of a novice to really be able to take advantage of it though. But i'm furiously working on it.