Page 1 of 2
Mustang 66 reissue or Fender Telecaster 62 reissue?

I like to personally play a lot of The Who and Led Zeppelin but I'm going to end up playing a lot of punk, blues, soul, northern soul etc.

Thanks.
don't you mean the 65 reissue? (that's a serious question, I'm not well up on mustangs )

I haven't tried the mustang but I'm guessing the tele would be the safer choice- both townshend and page used telecasters quite a bit, and I would imagine a telecaster would be a more versatile/useful style of guitar for other styles too (it's a lot less niche than a mustange).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd go for the tele too, but to be fair I've never played a mustang.

With the ranges you want to play I'd rec a hss strat. Even my sss American standard can't really handle distortion as well as I'd like.
song stuck in my head today

although page certainly used a tele for some things and so did pete I don't associate them with eithers overall sound or even most of what you posted for interests. perhaps an SG with p-90 style pups would work better.
Quote by monwobobbo
although page certainly used a tele for some things and so did pete I don't associate them with eithers overall sound or even most of what you posted for interests. perhaps an SG with p-90 style pups would work better.

Yeah I was definitely thinking Gibson for them and tele more for the rolling stones.

Page pretty much used a Tele on all of his recordings up till and including 4, and even continued to use them frequently after. His sound is pretty much all Tele.

The LP was the live instrument.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Feb 25, 2014,
Quote by Mephaphil
Page pretty much used a Tele on all of his recordings up till and including 4, and even continued to use them frequently after.

The tones from those tele's :O so versatile.

Yup. Amazing guitars.

I have 2, have owned 6 and I want to add a Nocaster to my collection at some point.
Quote by Mephaphil
Yup. Amazing guitars.

I have 2, have owned 6 and I want to add a Nocaster to my collection at some point.

That's like 1950?1951? Pr something. I saw a thing with John 5 from marilyn manson he collects them(telecasters) and he was having trouble finding one xD.

It would be a Reissue, 51' one preferably. I can't afford a real one!

Hard as hell to bend on!
Quote by Mephaphil
Page pretty much used a Tele on all of his recordings up till and including 4, and even continued to use them frequently after. His sound is pretty much all Tele.

Not really, the tele was only used a lot on LZ I. For the rest it was a mix. The Les Paul was used the most on LZ II I believe and plugged into his SLP on some songs too. Also there were rickenbacker & vox 12 strings, danelectro, a strat. he also used the eds1275 on a couple of songs too. probably more also.
LZ I was all Tele. the rest were a mix and weren't more or less of any one guitar. Though at least half of IV sounds like LP.

also check out this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw_TgA9jcqw

Andy Johns who did engineering and mixing on IV said he actually used the LP on the Stairway solo contrary to popular belief. I don't know if either is true but he's definitely a credible source. Can't remember where it is exactly in the video but somewhere there.
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Feb 26, 2014,
OTOH, Page's drug use was legendary...

JP used LPs, Teles, Danos and other stuff on stage...whatever he adtually used while recording doesn't matter too much to me, because he clearly managed to wrangle the right tones out of whatever he had on stage.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
G&l Asat
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dannyalcatraz
OTOH, Page's drug use was legendary

And often described as something of a myth. I've seen a few documentaries and read a fair amount about Led Zeppelin, and some of the claims state that before shows the band liked to warm up with a cup of tea, and warm down with a cup of tea before going to bed!

Not nearly the amount of drug taking was seen as was reported, and it would appear that most of the reporting was done by one Peter Grant in a bid to increase the bands notoriety and in turn, profit.

But then again, who knows what was done behind closed doors.
Quote by Robbgnarly
G&l Asat

all day and night.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
page used a variety of guitars and often layered them as well. I don't think you can really say past LZ 1 that he mainly used a tele. jimmy was also rather secretive about how he got his sounds as were many players back then.

my suggestion was more in tune with covering the basses the OP wanted nothing against tele's.
Quote by Mephaphil
And often described as something of a myth. I've seen a few documentaries and read a fair amount about Led Zeppelin, and some of the claims state that before shows the band liked to warm up with a cup of tea, and warm down with a cup of tea before going to bed!

Not nearly the amount of drug taking was seen as was reported, and it would appear that most of the reporting was done by one Peter Grant in a bid to increase the bands notoriety and in turn, profit.

But then again, who knows what was done behind closed doors.

you gotta be kidding, Page was a full on heroin addict. bonzo killed himself by (accident) drinking too much. you must be confusing their with 2007 show with the 70s.

here are some images of so called tea drinker

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/158327611-jimmy-page-sighted-on-december-4-1983-at-the-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QdQ61RH%2FHZj9cGwJcUvDeDK5vvGVeep4hKFe%2FSHcFr%2BdfcFFvO63uUH96MUPFA7v4g%3D%3D
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/SteveAJonesArchive/UnknownPage.jpg
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y525/heryld5/birthday/1983_zpsb2f0d7be.jpg

last 3 are all about 81-83 I think
I've seen a few documentaries and read a fair amount about Led Zeppelin, and some of the claims state that before shows the band liked to warm up with a cup of tea, and warm down with a cup of tea before going to bed.

Besides Page's stints in rehab and the photos, what other proof is there?

But seriously, I've been backstage at many a concert and on a few tour busses. No, not every rocker does drugs.

But the warmups & cooldowns with tea thing? Sure, it happens...and sometimes, for some guys, that tea had JD in it. Or it was used to wash down a handful of pills. Some offered to share their stash or do a line with me.

(I politely declined.)

I love JP's music, but his addictions are well documented.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Those pictures don't prove anything mate. You can find pictures of me on my friends Facebook with a drink in my hand. You can add any story to a picture when there's no story accompanying it.

But of course we know they done drugs and drank a shit load and done stupid and mental things, we know that Jimmy Page was in an abusive relationship with a child, even if everyone forgets it.

But my point being, if you think that they spent night after night, year after year drinking and doing drugs and smashing shit up, believing every story then you'd most likely be wrong. Some, yes, all, no way. They would have collapsed with exhaustion pretty quickly and gone into shock.

But like I said, there are conflicting stories on the issue, and in the absence of credible witness for something you have to put some stock in credible witness against something.

Listen to this guy just a couple of minutes in. He was actually there, yea, he's not speculating, it's a first hand account from someone who went on tour with them at the height of their success and the apparent height of their drug taking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0a-Oh8MBAE

You can make up your own mind, but there are lots of stories about Peter Grant and how he liked to talk the talk. I'm not disputing either, just saying that there is a different and credible opinion that pops up in a fair few documentaries and biographies about the band.

We know that they are druggies, but not nearly everything will be true. The myth is often more entertaining than the reality.
Quote by monwobobbo

I'm not that well up on either zep or the who (outside of their well-known stuff) but I think it depends on the era. Early led zep (the stuff i like best) is all tele, really. or at least, it sounds like it is i think a lot of the early who stuff is tele too. granted if you're talking about the later periods of each then you're correct.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
All I'm saying is that there are conflicting stories about what was used and when, from Page and others who were all there in the studio. SOMEBODY is wrong, but we have no way of knowing who.

And given that Page could coax almost any tones he wanted out of whatever gear he had, it doesn't much matter!

Quote by Dave_Mc
I'm not that well up on either zep or the who (outside of their well-known stuff) but I think it depends on the era. Early led zep (the stuff i like best) is all tele, really. or at least, it sounds like it is i think a lot of the early who stuff is tele too. granted if you're talking about the later periods of each then you're correct.

actually for the Who the early stuff is either a strat or a Rickenbacker. pete went on to p90 SGs and then to a LP deluxe with mini humbuckers. late in his career with the Who he played schecters that were tele shaped but had humbuckers. honestly I don't remember hearing pete really used teles at all. Who's Next was recorded with a Gretsch for many of the songs.
^ I'm sure i've seen townshend with a tele in their early song vids. Granted that doesn't necessarily mean he used it on the recording.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I'm sure i've seen townshend with a tele in their early song vids. Granted that doesn't necessarily mean he used it on the recording.

a little research shows that pete did occasionally use them live along with strats and ricks very early in the Who's career. still wouldn't associate then with his sound though really. for the purposes of the OP when he says Page I think LP or double neck, with townsend I think SG/LP deluxe more than anything. this is what I based my advice on. I'm sure that in the studio they both used guitars that most folks wouldn't associate with them. seems that is pretty common to this day. if you read in depth interviews with guitar players they always seem to mention at least one oddball (for them) guitar that got used for one reason or another.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Feb 26, 2014,
Greg, it's a sunny day here, I didn't see the signal right away.

G&L Tribute ASAT Bluesboy. For what you plan on doing, I would NOT recommend the semi-hollow model. This guitar comes with the pickups and electronics as the USA G&L's do, so the sound is great. The woods are just a bit less premium.

They're Korean guitars, coming from the Cor-Tek factory, which means it's PLEK'd and has solid quality control. Just overall solid guitars. I opine, as well as others, that Tribute G&L's are very close in quality to Japanese Fenders. Plus, a guitar like the one I posted can be had used for under $400.

I like this option better than a regular Classic only because the neck tones you want would be better replicated with a humbucker. Otherwise, the ASAT Special is my personal favorite. It's like a Jazzmaster on cocaine.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Feb 26, 2014,
Quote by Mephaphil
Those pictures don't prove anything mate. You can find pictures of me on my friends Facebook with a drink in my hand. You can add any story to a picture when there's no story accompanying it.

But of course we know they done drugs and drank a shit load and done stupid and mental things, we know that Jimmy Page was in an abusive relationship with a child, even if everyone forgets it.

But my point being, if you think that they spent night after night, year after year drinking and doing drugs and smashing shit up, believing every story then you'd most likely be wrong. Some, yes, all, no way. They would have collapsed with exhaustion pretty quickly and gone into shock.

But like I said, there are conflicting stories on the issue, and in the absence of credible witness for something you have to put some stock in credible witness against something.

Listen to this guy just a couple of minutes in. He was actually there, yea, he's not speculating, it's a first hand account from someone who went on tour with them at the height of their success and the apparent height of their drug taking.

You can make up your own mind, but there are lots of stories about Peter Grant and how he liked to talk the talk. I'm not disputing either, just saying that there is a different and credible opinion that pops up in a fair few documentaries and biographies about the band.

We know that they are druggies, but not nearly everything will be true. The myth is often more entertaining than the reality.

So I guess heroin addicts are only heroin addicts when they choose to be or only sometimes?

you have no clue
What are you talking about? Being a heroin addict isn't proof that every story ever told about their excess is true. I never debated if they weren't/aren't addicts, I just posed the question just that the tales of constant, night after night excess and decadence might be largely the stuff of myth and exaggeration purpotated by their management to increase their notoriety, as stated by a fair number of people who were there. Did some mad stuff happen? Sure, did it happen every night, and was everythig that happened true? Doubtful.

But I guess you proved me wrong with that weird, irrelevant statement, huh? I forgot that you were there, and obviously have all the clues.
Quote by JustRooster
Greg, it's a sunny day here, I didn't see the signal right away.

no worries, we were bashing page, it's always a fun time passer.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Yep! And you know someone's got a ****ed up idolisation of someone if you can't even question whether or not EVERY single story about them is true without them getting butthurt.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Feb 26, 2014,
Phil, you don't know but hurt until you learn the meaning of the words "proctology exam."

Today was not a good day- my Doc has big hands and apparently underwent successful Tommy John surgery...

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 26, 2014,
Quote by Mephaphil
What are you talking about? Being a heroin addict isn't proof that every story ever told about their excess is true. I never debated if they weren't/aren't addicts, I just posed the question just that the tales of constant, night after night excess and decadence might be largely the stuff of myth and exaggeration purpotated by their management to increase their notoriety, as stated by a fair number of people who were there. Did some mad stuff happen? Sure, did it happen every night, and was everythig that happened true? Doubtful.

But I guess you proved me wrong with that weird, irrelevant statement, huh? I forgot that you were there, and obviously have all the clues.

Your head is so far up your own ass it's unbelievable

'I never debated if they weren't drug addicts'

Really?

OTOH, Page's drug use was legendary

And often described as something of a myth

Not nearly the amount of drug taking was seen as was reported

Quote by Mephaphil
Yep! And you know someone's got a ****ed up idolisation of someone if you can't even question whether or not EVERY single story about them is true without them getting butthurt.

See all you're doing now is putting words in my mouth to make yourself seem more credible, but if you look back over the posts I never said anything like that, I'm just stating the clearly obvious that he was a drug abuser/addict which you at first denied or stated was barely true.
Which Fender??? Tele. If you don't own one already, maybe you should. Fender Mustangs are just off somehow. Ok for Punk Rock I guess but they don't really play very well. A good Tele just sings.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 27, 2014,
Honestly, you've totally missed the point of my argument, I can't be bothered with you anymore.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Feb 27, 2014,
Thread jack anyone?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Mephaphil
Honestly, you've totally missed the point of my argument, I can't be bothered with you anymore.

No I get it, you're arguing some stuff about stories which I never said anything about. I really have no idea why you even brought it up.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Again, you're mistaken.

I answered Dannys post, and you joined in. I never addressed you.
Page 1 of 2