Page 1 of 2
I've finally decided to save for a valve amp but I haven't been able to find straight answers for what I want:

I need it to be relatively cheap (based in UK, used under 300- ideally 250)

I want it to be versatile and durable as I REALLY don't want to be told to upgrade my amp on the forums after purchase. I want it to be a definitive part of my rig and not sold after a year or two.

I'd rather the amp be Orange but the options their are limited.

The front runners that I've found so far are:

Marshall Valvestate 8080

Peavy Valveking

Orange Micro Terror

Now the Mqrshall and Orange are hybrid but would I be again told to buy a new amp if it wasn't all tube?

Please be aware that I'm 14 years old and don't have unlimited funds. All money I earn from selling things etc. will go towards the amp.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
Get the Valveking if you want modern tone or want to play loud.
If you want vintage tone or just want a relatively practice amp that does TV volumes well get the Micro Terror.
Quote by jpnyc
Get the Valveking if you want modern tone or want to play loud.
If you want vintage tone or just want a relatively practice amp that does TV volumes well get the Micro Terror.

Hmm, perhaps I should also have mentioned I can only play quietly?

Also, I think I'd want more than one tone control on my amp?

Jet city

how quietly do you have to play? I don't agree that you have to crank valve amps to get them to sound good, but if you have to play at whisper volume all the time then maybe valve isn't the way to go.

also what type of tones do you want?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Jet city

how quietly do you have to play? I don't agree that you have to crank valve amps to get them to sound good, but if you have to play at whisper volume all the time then maybe valve isn't the way to go.

also what type of tones do you want?

I do have to play pretty quietly. I've literally got the volumeon 3 on my current amp (sig). I thought my amp was decent but I've been told to buy a. Valve time and time again.

Anyway, I play Indie Rock- a lot of Arctic Monkeys, Pixies, Miles Kane. Also, I have a half decent RHCP back catalogue and I'm in a psychedelic Indie rock band but that's mainly effects based and I have that covered.

ah ok, yeah jet city tends to be for more modern, high gain tones (though they have some lower gain amps too, but i haven't tried them).

It just depends- it depends on exactly how quietly you have to play, and also personal preference too (one person's "that sounds pretty good considering how quiet I have to play" is another's "that sucks, I should've just got a modelling amp!").

For those kind of indie rock tones you could likely get away with a valve amp at not deafening volumes with some od/distortion/fuzz pedals (or even just rely on preamp distortion), but again as I said, a lot of this is personal preference. I prefer valve for home use but I don't have to play at whisper volumes and I don't play the same types of music as you (and even if I did we still might not agree!).

is the amp only for home use? there are some pretty cheap valve amps which would work for the stuff you're playing (alongside a pedal or two) for home use which hopefully wouldn't break the bank.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah ok, yeah jet city tends to be for more modern, high gain tones (though they have some lower gain amps too, but i haven't tried them).

It just depends- it depends on exactly how quietly you have to play, and also personal preference too (one person's "that sounds pretty good considering how quiet I have to play" is another's "that sucks, I should've just got a modelling amp!").

For those kind of indie rock tones you could likely get away with a valve amp at not deafening volumes with some od/distortion/fuzz pedals (or even just rely on preamp distortion), but again as I said, a lot of this is personal preference. I prefer valve for home use but I don't have to play at whisper volumes and I don't play the same types of music as you (and even if I did we still might not agree!).

is the amp only for home use? there are some pretty cheap valve amps which would work for the stuff you're playing (alongside a pedal or two) for home use which hopefully wouldn't break the bank.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I'm hoping to gig in the future but I'm expecting to have to she'll put for that standard of gear eventually. I can play loud on my own but when my family is around then I get a bollocking to turn it down!

Anyway, pedals aren't an issue. I've just ordered a load.

Big Muff Pi, DS-2, EVH wah. Yeah- I don't think I need anymore for a while.

I'll eBay a Jet City to take a look at price now.

Hmm... JCs seem to be scarce and rather expensive. Unless there is a particular model I'm looking for?

^The JCA20
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
the valvestate only has 1 tube and is more of a gimmick than anything. you can get an acceptable sound from a VK at low levels I use one for home practice all the time. you may also want to consider a Peavey Windsor combo if you can find one. has a built in power soak.
Definitely the JCA20 unless you need multiple channels or high volume cleans.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/laney-cub-12r/45484 - This can give you a decent clean tone for indie and give that valve break-up at a lower volume (it has an input for a 1 watt output). I would probably get an overdrive pedal as well like a digitech bad monkey to get some more crunch when you need it.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by Pacifica Ocean
I do have to play pretty quietly. I've literally got the volumeon 3 on my current amp (sig). I thought my amp was decent but I've been told to buy a. Valve time and time again.

Forget it. Pointless.

You're *always* going to be told to buy a tube amp on an internet forum, but that doesn't mean it makes sense for you. And with a budget like that, you're always going to be told to upgrade if you buy one.

I've got maybe 15 tube amps. But when I'm playing at home I have a Pod HD. I can run it through headphones for completely silent practice. I run it through a pair of KRK Rokit 8 powered speakers for desktop (small room) practice, and I run it through some a major power amp and some serious (900W each) full-range cabinets (or just direct into the PA) for playing out.

I appreciate tube amps for what they are, but my personal view is that they're not a smart buy for a bedroom.
For now, if you're not trying for a metal tone how about an Epiphone Valve Jr? Its as simple as simple gets so you'll want a pedal in front but you can get good, organic tone at lower volumes and its way under budget (bout $100 used in the US). That'd leave money leftover for a cheap multifx and headphones for when your parents are home.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by dspellman
Forget it. Pointless.

You're *always* going to be told to buy a tube amp on an internet forum, but that doesn't mean it makes sense for you. And with a budget like that, you're always going to be told to upgrade if you buy one.

I've got maybe 15 tube amps. But when I'm playing at home I have a Pod HD. I can run it through headphones for completely silent practice. I run it through a pair of KRK Rokit 8 powered speakers for desktop (small room) practice, and I run it through some a major power amp and some serious (900W each) full-range cabinets (or just direct into the PA) for playing out.

I appreciate tube amps for what they are, but my personal view is that they're not a smart buy for a bedroom.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. A good tube amp will beat a POD or cheap SS at any volume, unless you're playing through headphones. I sold my POD because I liked the way my high wattage tube amps sound at apartment levels. And I mean playing at midnight with the neighbors asleep apartment levels.

However, a lot of this comes down to personal preference. Opinions seem divided if you have to play near silent. However, if you can get TV volumes or a bit louder, a good tube amp is preferred by the majority.

This is a case of personal preference though.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

That Valvestate is good, no matter what they tell you. If I am not mistaken it is comes with stock Celestions and is one of the last ones made in England.

Are you sure the Orange is tube? I think their smaller tube amps are the Tiny Terrors.

The VK is ok but will not hold up too well.

Have you looked at Laney and Vox? They have some 15 watt offerings that are all tube and sound very good.
Quote by diabolical
That Valvestate is good, no matter what they tell you. If I am not mistaken it is comes with stock Celestions and is one of the last ones made in England.

Are you sure the Orange is tube? I think their smaller tube amps are the Tiny Terrors.

The VK is ok but will not hold up too well.

Have you looked at Laney and Vox? They have some 15 watt offerings that are all tube and sound very good.

valvestates aren't anything that great. other than aren't they praised with the gore/doom guys.

micro terrors are tube preamp into a tube power amp.

there are more amps with celestions than there are cab drivers in NYC,

how would a vk not hold up well/ are you talking construction? or cutting through the mix?

if you are talking AC15 or AC CC2 they are pretty much out of the price range if you get .

haven't seen a laney in the states, so i can't say anything.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by albertj.q
Just to clarify, the micro terror is a hybrid amp. Tube pre, solid state power.

MICROterror is a hybrid. tube preamp with a solid state power amp. i haven't played one so thats up to you.

the Tiny terror is 15 watt all tube.

the dual terror is the tiny terror with another switchable channel (the fat channel) it is 30 watts.

i have a Dual and love the damn thing, but they are too different to compare.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
If I can find one (looks quite unlikely actually) then the Jca looks wicked. But I'd also need a can and they are quite pricey too.

You can get a Jet City combo for £277 new from thomann. So no trouble finding one.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
yeah thomann is where the cheap prices are for jet cities (at least the combos... the heads are a similar price on jet city's UK online store).

as i said, though, i'm not sure i'd want a jet city for those type of tones.

as i said before, it's very much preference (and also the specific home situation- one person's "home" volume is likely to be different to another's) when it comes to low volume tube tones versus modellers.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it's hybrid. also even 5 watts cranked up is really loud (if that's what you want to do). you really need to get well below one watt before it's crankable in a home situation (or at least most people's home situations).

I haven't tried it, it may well be great. I suspect it's more on the modern side of things (in terms of its tone), so that might not be what you want for the tones you're after.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's hybrid. also even 5 watts cranked up is really loud (if that's what you want to do). you really need to get well below one watt before it's crankable in a home situation (or at least most people's home situations).

I haven't tried it, it may well be great. I suspect it's more on the modern side of things (in terms of its tone), so that might not be what you want for the tones you're after.

As far As I'm aware, it's all-valve. Also It seems awesome and not just for the price. I'd rather it not have any gimmicks I.e the reverb but I think that one seems the best for me.

The HT5 is NOT all valve. It's not a horrible amp, but overpriced for what it is and generally not recommended.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

OP you are asking then telling us what you are not familiar with. again it is NOT all-tube

Dave knows his shit.

if you would like to dispute. pick one up and look into the pan. THERE IS DEADLY VOLTAGE even after the amp is off, and there

i don't find them pleasant at all, but a big advantage would be a 1x12" speaker.also IMO they are overpriced.

but if you want one buy one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
OP you are asking then telling us what you are not familiar with. again it is NOT all-tube

Dave knows his shit.

if you would like to dispute. pick one up and look into the pan. THERE IS DEADLY VOLTAGE even after the amp is off, and there

i don't find them pleasant at all, but a big advantage would be a 1x12" speaker.also IMO they are overpriced.

but if you want one buy one.

Don't have to be a dick about it... I wasn't.

If I was wron then thanks Dave, I got that info from Andertons video on the amp so I dunno.
Hopefully I can try one out but that's my worry with the Jet. I can't try that one out before purchase as its unlikely to be stocked locally.

The HT-5 isn't all tube, but look at the schematics and it's obvious that there is a lot of solid state trickery going on, just FYI
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Last edited by classicrocker01 at Feb 27, 2014,
Quote by classicrocker01
The HT-5 is all tube, but look at the schematics and it's obvious that there is a lot of solid state trickery going on, just FYI

So that's a no then. Not all valve.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
So that's a no then. Not all valve.

Thanks, meant isn't. Fixed.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
Thanks, meant isn't. Fixed.

Cheers.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by Pacifica Ocean
As far As I'm aware, it's all-valve. Also It seems awesome and not just for the price. I'd rather it not have any gimmicks I.e the reverb but I think that one seems the best for me.

the others have said, but yeah it's a hybrid. there are schematics floating around.

the bigger problem though is that I'm not sure it's aimed at the tones you want, and also being 5 watts it runs the risk of not being loud enough if you ever want to gig but not really being anywhere quiet enough if you want to crank it, either.

it might be over budget but a laney vc15 might be worth a look.

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Dave knows his shit.

I dunno about that, there are plenty of people here who know way more than I do about the ins and outs of amps, but
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the others have said, but yeah it's a hybrid. there are schematics floating around.

the bigger problem though is that I'm not sure it's aimed at the tones you want, and also being 5 watts it runs the risk of not being loud enough if you ever want to gig but not really being anywhere quiet enough if you want to crank it, either.

it might be over budget but a laney vc15 might be worth a look.

I dunno about that, there are plenty of people here who know way more than I do about the ins and outs of amps, but

there are a lot of good guys here, but you know quite a bit.

also being 5 watts it runs the risk of not being loud enough if you ever want to gig but not really being anywhere quiet enough if you want to crank it, either.

legitimate concern, may not be loud enoughif you want to play with a drummer. even if you have a high sensitivity speaker, i dont think it would get you through the mix. i would be afraid of mic'ing it. i haven't ever mic'd anything that small.

and it could be too loud for bedroom too.

i don't know you situation. so maybe a 15 or somehing a little more power.

also amp size doesn't mean it will sound bad quiet. both of my mesa's get full distortion at low volume i don't bother my wife at late night
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 27, 2014,
^

And yeah that's kind of the point I was hinting at- the really low wattage amps often don't sound that great until you crank them a bit, a lot of the time a higher wattage amp can sound better at ultra-low volumes. It's not a hard and fast rule, you have to judge each case on its own merits, but it's worth bearing in mind. the real advantage of lower wattage amps is that you can get cranked sounds at slightly lower volumes- say at smaller gigs. Not at (or anywhere close to) bedroom volumes.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I feel as though the Jet City is not a great choice for you. You've told us the music you like and after reading a list of bands on your profile, the JCA is really not marketed to play those styles. I'm sure it could manage them, but I don't see how it is the best choice for you. Jet City is more high gain, hard rock, heavy metal from what I understand.

The tones you seem to be after would be better managed by a vox AC15 or a Laney VC15. They're probably both too expensive though, but maybe someone more knowledgeable can recommend a cheaper alternative. Or you could buy used.

But for the price, JC can't really be beaten. They sound good so I think you'd be happy with one anyway
Quote by wildozer
I feel as though the Jet City is not a great choice for you. You've told us the music you like and after reading a list of bands on your profile, the JCA is really not marketed to play those styles. I'm sure it could manage them, but I don't see how it is the best choice for you. Jet City is more high gain, hard rock, heavy metal from what I understand.

+fifty/fifty. i partially agree but see a potential of listed music and played music.

sometimes you have bands you listen to that you never play or play music you don't listen to.

for example acidbath is one of my favorite bands, and i wouldn't ever play any of their music. tone can be more or less directed.

lamb of god i play and listen to

and i play blues probably more than anything else, but i don't listen to it in my car or truck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzj_GbOHpxs

maybe the micro terror wouldn't be a bad thing. i saw a few reviews and the above stood out a bit as far as tone but i wish the guy would shut the hell up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Pacifica Ocean
I've finally decided to save for a valve amp but I haven't been able to find straight answers for what I want:

I need it to be relatively cheap (based in UK, used under 300- ideally 250)

I want it to be versatile and durable as I REALLY don't want to be told to upgrade my amp on the forums after purchase. I want it to be a definitive part of my rig and not sold after a year or two.

Please be aware that I'm 14 years old and don't have unlimited funds. All money I earn from selling things etc. will go towards the amp.

yes i am triple posting. it addresses three seperate issues. but in your budget its hard to find a long term keeper. i went through at least a dozen to get where i am at now. if you had 1kUSD, it would be closer. the best thing you could get now is something you like AND have it be something you would use for backup. i am aware that you are younger and don't have a way to make some money, but maybe if you could do some small jobs here and there and mow grass/shovel snow,etc.

but check out that video of the micro terror. remember i have NOT played one, but it didn't sound bad at all really for a cheaply recorded demo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Page 1 of 2