Hey Guys

I have an Ibanez GSZ120 and after setting my action (treble strings lowest possible, bass strings higher up), I can't seem to intonate my guitar to the T at all!I'll tune all the strings perfectly, then when I go string by string, I can't seem to adjust it perfectly. Eg. my E string will be tuned, when I press down the 12th fret, it will be too high, so I shorten the string, get the tuning spot on, but then when I play it open, I notice its too low, so I tighten my peg to spot on and low and behold the 12th fret tuning is now too high again, I repeat this cycle till I can no longer alter the string length and now I'm just wondering what the hell to do???I double checked my truss rod and that seems fine so I'm out of options now???
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
Honestly the way guitars are made today, even the cheap ones have decent precision when slotting frets. I would assume something is off with the way you are setting up the guitar or perhaps the wood/ neck is warped. I doubt it. Usually something like that is a result of the neck not being straight, that is, if you adjusted the other things properly. I would start over. Losen the truss rod a bit redo string height then straighten the truss rod to tension then adjust the pickup height. Sometimes the wrong height can cause slight differences. Then do the intonation. Maybe you just got a dud guitar? But that's what I would do. Give it like 4 days as well.

Get it set right one day and let it sit. after the wood has settled for a day under tension readjust as needed and repeat for the next few days.
Ok thanks I will try it, I haven't adjusted my truss rod as I did the test shown in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GD7zXzkrdM with fretting the first and last fret and got the right height result, I will try and reset though and see if I can get it right.
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
The way he does it isn't uncommon. for him saying he likes a measurement, he doesn't really get one.

Most people will capo the first fret and press on the last fret on the neck and actually measure the height of the strings at the 12th fret

Which reminds me the nut could be bad too, but I haven't had one that throws my tuning accuracy off too much and usually I can just see and hear when the nut isn't cut well.

with cheaper guitars sometimes the frets aren't leveled and if you don't have the means to do that or don't want to take it in a shop then the bow of the neck will be different.

and make sure your string height is accurate across before you work on the truss rod.
Last edited by kai29 at Feb 26, 2014,
Since you have a guitar with a stop tailpiece/tune-o-matic bridge, if you are having tremendous intonation problems, then you probably need a truss rod tweak. Take it do a good tech who can set both the bow in the neck and the intonation. Such a setup is usually very cheap and worth its weight in gold.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Pickup height can also affect it. If they are too high, they will cause the strings to vibrate unusually. So you want to set them pretty low when you're doing the intonation.
Quote by FatalGear41
Since you have a guitar with a stop tailpiece/tune-o-matic bridge, if you are having tremendous intonation problems, then you probably need a truss rod tweak. Take it do a good tech who can set both the bow in the neck and the intonation. Such a setup is usually very cheap and worth its weight in gold.

The guitar techs chard around $65 where I'm at to set it and that's just a little too much for me at this time
Quote by Twofly
Hey Guys

I have an Ibanez GSZ120 and after setting my action (treble strings lowest possible, bass strings higher up), I can't seem to intonate my guitar to the T at all!I'll tune all the strings perfectly, then when I go string by string, I can't seem to adjust it perfectly. Eg. my E string will be tuned, when I press down the 12th fret, it will be too high, so I shorten the string, get the tuning spot on, but then when I play it open, I notice its too low, so I tighten my peg to spot on and low and behold the 12th fret tuning is now too high again, I repeat this cycle till I can no longer alter the string length and now I'm just wondering what the hell to do???I double checked my truss rod and that seems fine so I'm out of options now???

When you are setting the intonation:
1. tune the string and play it open

2. then fret the 12th fret and see if it is in tune

3. LOOSEN THE STRING BEFORE YOU MOVE THE SADDLE/BRIDGE or it will never be right

4. then you retune the string open and then fret the 12th and see if it is in tune.

5. Repeat if necessary

This can take a while to do all 6 strings, but it works absolutely fine. I think your main issue is that you are tuning the string and leaving it while you adjust the saddle. do it the way I said and you should be intonated in 30 min, 1 hour tops if your a first timer.

I hope this helps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
When you are setting the intonation:
1. tune the string and play it open

2. then fret the 12th fret and see if it is in tune

3. LOOSEN THE STRING BEFORE YOU MOVE THE SADDLE/BRIDGE or it will never be right

4. then you retune the string open and then fret the 12th and see if it is in tune.

5. Repeat if necessary

This can take a while to do all 6 strings, but it works absolutely fine. I think your main issue is that you are tuning the string and leaving it while you adjust the saddle. do it the way I said and you should be intonated in 30 min, 1 hour tops if your a first timer.

I hope this helps

Wow thanks a lot!I never thought about this before!I will give it a shot!