Okay, so I play right handed. I've been playing for about 6 years now. Up until recently, I've never really had any problems with either one of my hands. Until I joined a punk band back in March of last year. After a couple of months of practicing with the band several times a week and practicing at least an hour and a half a day if I wasn't at practice, my fret hand started hurting really bad. Like, so bad to the point where I couldn't even make power chords anymore.

My hand just wouldn't cooperate. But after several months of this pain, it slowly went away. Now I've started up a grunge band(punk band broke up a few months ago) and my strumming hand hurts. It hurts to the point where I can't even hold a pick anymore and I have to let my hand rest for a few minutes after a couple of songs. I'm even wearing a hand brace and it barely helps.

It's not so much as my wrist as it is the palm of my hand. My wrist still hurts, but not near as bad as the palm of my hand. Any advice? I thought maybe it was because I use thick picks(.96mm-1.14mm) but if I use medium or light picks, they break after a couple of songs or my knuckles hit the strings along with the pick. I don't know what to do. I'm just hoping it does like my fret hand and just go away after a few months.
"The Good Thing About Music Is, When It Hits You, You Feel No Pain" - Bob Marley
"When the power of Love over comes the love of power the world wil know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

::type

Hey Man, that sounds nasty. I would go see a doctor. Playing-wise, look at the amount of tension you have when you play, and work at eliminating it as much as possible (and learning to release what tension there is as you play). But seriously, see a doctor - this doesn't sound like a twinge here and there.
It could have something to do with how you hold your pick. Do you think you could post some pictures or perhaps describe how you hold your pick?
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by se012101
Hey Man, that sounds nasty. I would go see a doctor. Playing-wise, look at the amount of tension you have when you play, and work at eliminating it as much as possible (and learning to release what tension there is as you play). But seriously, see a doctor - this doesn't sound like a twinge here and there.

I more then likely do have a lot of tension when playing, I'm just not sure how to eliminate it though.
"The Good Thing About Music Is, When It Hits You, You Feel No Pain" - Bob Marley
"When the power of Love over comes the love of power the world wil know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by Generalpwnt
It could have something to do with how you hold your pick. Do you think you could post some pictures or perhaps describe how you hold your pick?

Here's one of my videos, maybe this will give you some idea of how I'm holding my pick. Also, feel free to mute it if you don't like it lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doqigxUeN8A&feature=share&list=UU8zfMvpxccQa3lyN4dYSx1Q&index=2

It's hard to tell, but it looks like you have a death grip on your pick. Try keeping a firm (not too hard) grip on the pick with just your fingers and relax your hand.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead