http://planner.roomsketcher.com/#/?pid=1316771

Ok so this is my bedroom, the desks are built in, the shelf above the desk too and same with the wardrobes. Just a couple of other litte things, the door actually opens to the left not the right and those printers on the desk are actually supposed to be a stereo amp + record player.

I'd like to record and mix in here, I guess recording could be ok but for mixing with monitors I don't think the desk + pc where it is is a very good place but I could be wrong. Obviously I don't need great quality mixing just something not horrible with this setup which it might be. The ceiling is pretty high too, at least higher than your average ceiling height I guess.
Anything is doable, just make sure to reference your mix on multiple sources and spends lots of time recording and mixing and not thinking about any shortcomings of your room, that'll just discourage you if you think what you have isn't adequate.

That said, if you want a quick fix - get another desk and put it on the wall next to your door, and mix there. It'll cost you about $100 for something decent from Ikea, and you're good to go.

Then you can explore some bass trap / acoustic treatment options as money and time permit, and start setting those up to calm the flutters down. Then you'll have a perfectly adequate amateur recording situation.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Definitely not the most ideal setting... Since the furniture is built into the wall, there's really not a whole lot you can do, honestly. The shelves about the desk are going to be an issue if you're placing monitors under there, but it doesn't mean you can't put out decent mixes, just means you're going to have to spend a lot of time learning your room.

I'm honestly not sure what I'd do to that room. Aside from the obvious bass trapping in the other three corners, you could hang broadband panels on the walls as well, but given that you're mixing in a corner already, you're going to get a lot of bass build-up, especially with the shelving above them, to the point where treating that room might not even be worth it, since you'd only be fixing the minor issues in the room and not the blindingly apparent one.

I'd almost suggest just buying another smaller desk and putting it along the wall your bed is now, and moving the bed somewhere else (or possibly the wall where the door is, if there's enough space to keep it centered on the wall. This would at least help remedy the horrible bass response you're going to get in that corner, but it also adds more furniture to the room, which makes it harder to treat the corners and walls.

if you DO plan to stay with the corner desk, definitely don't get very large speakers.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Is the bed roughly accurate in size compared to the rest of the room dimensions? I'm with Matrix here, I think you should move the bed so it is sideways/parallel alongside the wall with the door on, and put a new and smaller desk level with that window (think it's a window) that is where the bed currently is.

It's always better to fire length-ways down a room, than across a shorter section/firing out from a corner. It should reduce low end build-up, too, and gives you more space to play with having a desk dedicated just to your music setup.

I guess a bigger problem is can you move your relevant computer gear to the place of the new desk without making the old one redundant? I mean, I presume you don't wanna move your PC back and forth from where the printers etc. are and a new desk would go, and also presume you're not gonna be buying a new machine just for audio work.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Is the bed roughly accurate in size compared to the rest of the room dimensions? I'm with Matrix here, I think you should move the bed so it is sideways/parallel alongside the wall with the door on, and put a new and smaller desk level with that window (think it's a window) that is where the bed currently is.

It's always better to fire length-ways down a room, than across a shorter section/firing out from a corner. It should reduce low end build-up, too, and gives you more space to play with having a desk dedicated just to your music setup.

I guess a bigger problem is can you move your relevant computer gear to the place of the new desk without making the old one redundant? I mean, I presume you don't wanna move your PC back and forth from where the printers etc. are and a new desk would go, and also presume you're not gonna be buying a new machine just for audio work.

He said the printers are supposed to be a stereo amp and record player, not actually printers
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
ok thanks for the replies guys. yeah I think the bed is scaled wrong especially in width, the room might be a little narrower too but just about right.

After thinking it through myself getting another desk was the solution I thought you guys would come up with but wouldn't really be a great solution because I'm probably going to get a queen size bed sometime soon which I'd put in the same spot as the bed now leaving not room for not much else. I don't think it would be worth it at all to treat the spot where I am.

I guess I'd just probably have to use headphones or try and 'hijack' one of the studies downstairs...

just wasn't very sure myself, thanks!