Page 1 of 2
well today I sold my axe fx and rme fireface and now I'm only left with guitars! I have a shitty jcm 900 dual reverb with 2x12 greenbacks but it sits in the cupboard because it sounds that unplayable. The jcm 800 preset on the axefx was way better and i only ever played the axe through headphones because I could never afford monitors. But anyway I now have around $1000-1500 for a new amp!

I want to get something quiet (I won't be gigging in the near future) that can be cranked in a bedroom and not annoy the neighbours. Pure tone is a must so I was looking at things like mesa mark 4's and fender twins but they're too big/loud. The other thing is I play blues metal and rock I probably want 3 main sounds I'm not sure if I could get them all in the one amp? My guitars are currently all stratocasters (but one has a bkp warpig).

The main tones I need are a megadeth/metallica/petrucci/rush rhythm so basically the american mesa tone but I also need a good warm shilly SRV/frusciante/john mayer/modern rock/blues sound (I was getting this perfectly from the jcm 800/brit crunch preset on my axe). So effectively a warm/bluesy brit crunch and highish American gain sound in one amp!

Are there any amps out there that'll do both these sounds well? I'm guessing my best bet is some sort of small mesa amp or maybe and orange (but I don't like how dirty/dry the oranges sound), and the fenders won't do the metal side unfortunately as much as I'd love one it'd have my cleans sorted perfectly. I have a fulltone fulldrive2 in the cupboard too I've never used since I had the axe-fx and I've heard they're a good pedal so I'll be looking into using that with the new amp provided it helps the tone. I could also use the greenbacks in my jcm 900 with a new head but this could be too loud. I'm not really sure what amp to go for really, something small that can do those 2 sounds would be ideal if it exists. Any ideas haha?
Last edited by ILLaViTaR at Feb 26, 2014,
Quote by ILLaViTaR
I want to get something quiet (I won't be gigging in the near future) that can be cranked in a bedroom and not annoy the neighbours.?
So you want a 1w max amp?
Quote by ILLaViTaR
The main tones I need are a megadeth/metallica/petrucci/rush rhythm so basically the american mesa tone but I also need a good warm shilly SRV/frusciante/john mayer/modern rock/blues sound (I was getting this perfectly from the jcm 800/brit crunch preset on my axe). So effectively a warm/bluesy brit crunch and highish American gain sound in one amp!
That was a no.

No such small amp has such features.
But why in the world do you want an amp that can be cranked at such low volumes?

Best stuff I can think off is the rectoverb 25, maybe the 5:25, maybe the mark IV.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The H&K Tubemeister series can be reduced down to 1w. Blackstar Series 1 can go down to about 5w. The Hayden Mofo 30 can be switched down to 2w
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Feb 26, 2014,
the Blackstar HT5r is a damn good amp. it aint 100% tube tone, but it is a really good tone for anything from metal to blues. Has 2 channels and its 5W, but that doesnt necessarily mean that it isnt loud as all hell. but that tone...

if you prefer something more versatile, Id recomment the new Line 6 PODHD500X. the tone on that is comparable to the tone youd get with an axefx at any volume. Id personally go with this one because its a good enough tone for home recording, practicing, and even gigging. and its all in a very convenient footswitch.

and get that JCM fixed dude. somehow I dont believe a JCM900 sounds "bad" if its not broken
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Last edited by bustapr at Feb 26, 2014,
Ummmm, 1 watt all cranked up is still 100db which will be plenty loud to annoy the neighbors. Amplifiers amplify. That is their purpose. I suggest Pod or Vox Tonelab LE and good headphones.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 26, 2014,
Quote by ILLaViTaR
well today I sold my axe fx and rme fireface and now I'm only left with guitars! I have a shitty jcm 900 dual reverb with 2x12 greenbacks but it sits in the cupboard because it sounds that unplayable. The jcm 800 preset on the axefx was way better and i only ever played the axe through headphones because I could never afford monitors. But anyway I now have around $1000-1500 for a new amp!

I want to get something quiet (I won't be gigging in the near future) that can be cranked in a bedroom and not annoy the neighbours. Pure tone is a must so I was looking at things like mesa mark 4's and fender twins but they're too big/loud. The other thing is I play blues metal and rock I probably want 3 main sounds I'm not sure if I could get them all in the one amp? My guitars are currently all stratocasters (but one has a bkp warpig).

Are there any amps out there that'll do both these sounds well? I'm guessing my best bet is some sort of small mesa amp or maybe and orange (but I don't like how dirty/dry the oranges sound), and the fenders won't do the metal side unfortunately as much as I'd love one it'd have my cleans sorted perfectly. I have a fulltone fulldrive2 in the cupboard too I've never used since I had the axe-fx and I've heard they're a good pedal so I'll be looking into using that with the new amp provided it helps the tone. I could also use the greenbacks in my jcm 900 with a new head but this could be too loud. I'm not really sure what amp to go for really, something small that can do those 2 sounds would be ideal if it exists. Any ideas haha?

So why did you sell the Axe-FX? Sounds to me like that thing was pretty much perfect for your bedroom needs...I see people above me recommending stuff like Line6 PODs, and Vox tonelabs, essentially HUGE downgrades from the Axe you sold. The Axe, perhaps through a nice 1-5w amplifier would have been amazing.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
So why did you sell the Axe-FX? Sounds to me like that thing was pretty much perfect for your bedroom needs...I see people above me recommending stuff like Line6 PODs, and Vox tonelabs, essentially HUGE downgrades from the Axe you sold. The Axe, perhaps through a nice 1-5w amplifier would have been amazing.

Kinda what I was thinking...

The Axe FX is the ultimate low volume tool, pretty much any amp you get is going to be lacking in one of your requirements. You could get a Randall RM22 and get some modules, there should be at least a couple you like, though the 22 is hard to come by. You still couldn't crank it, but you could get the volume up a bit. It has an EL84 power section which IMO isn't prime for metal, but you could still get good tones.

Another option, get two small amps. I think you could get a Krank Rev Jr. and maybe a small Fender like a Blues Jr. or even a 65 Deluxe reissue (maybe original if you find a good price). Just a thought.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
another option you may have is to save some more money and buy a kemper. its expensive as all hell but is the one thing Id recommend above any tube amp or axe fx. Kemper clones to near perfection any amp out there. kemper owners have made it a real habit of collecting and profiling as many amps as they can and posting them on the internet. so youd find almost any amp worth a damn for you to use freely.

I personally think the kemper is the best low volume guitar tool you can get. when I say it clones amps to near perfection, I mean that youd have a hard time even as a sound engineer veteran to notice the difference between tones.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Quote by Mark G

It was perfect but I needed another 2k at least to set it up to be on that level. The axe can't really run through an amp/cab unfortunately the tone suffers quite a bit, it needs frfr's at the very least or a flat eq poweramp/cab and these were over 1k each for a proper setup that wouldn't choke quality and since I just practice at home and don't use the axe anywhere near it's full potential (no effects/tweaking) I figured I'd get a better tone from something like a fender twin or hot rod compared to my current setup and it's cheaper, but I do want a metal sound as well.

I just don't think the jcm is any good I don't know why it sounds so bad it really makes me think there's something wrong with it like the power amp is dead or something, it just has no body or depth to it, I spent money on mods and new tubes and it still sucks.

None of the suggestions are really grabbing me besides that black star but surely that would be a huge downgrade in tone from the axe? That's the last thing I want, I want a simpler more setup not an inferior one. I tried a couple blackstars years ago and I wasn't impressed from memory.

Here in Australia these old little generic vintage amps from the 50's/60's pop up every now and then, they're pure tube class A point to point amps and I've heard they're very good and compete with the best like the mark 4's. This is more for a blues sound though and strictly in terms of quality of tone, they have nothing on the mark 4 in feature wise usually most these amps would have is a volume knob and that's it perhaps a tone knob as well in some cases. Are they worth looking into I see brands like electrovox and goldentone etc another option I was also thinking about was building my own 5 watt fender champ as they're really simple however I've never built an amp before, would be good quality tone for a cheap price though!

I'm now thinking I'll just settle for a good blues/fenderish amp as I don't need a decent metal sound near as much as a blues sound, maybe I could even sort the jcm 900 out somehow and use that to play metal it was an expensive amp so it's a real shame it's currently a brick, it would be awesome if I could just use that, I really don't get how a high model marshall could sound so bad. I played an 800 and woah is the 900 crap in comparison!
Last edited by ILLaViTaR at Feb 26, 2014,
I have an H&K Tubemeister 18. Put some JJs in there, and it cranks. Awesome tone (I love the H&K sound though). However, on the 1 watt setting it's still pretty loud. About 9 o'clock and my wife can hear it over the tv. If you live in an apartment building it still might be too loud.

I use a Vox Valvetronix for most of my home playing. With your budget, a Kemper might be more prudent.
Quote by ILLaViTaR
It was perfect but I needed another 2k at least to set it up to be on that level. The axe can't really run through an amp/cab unfortunately the tone suffers quite a bit, it needs frfr's at the very least or a flat eq poweramp/cab and these were over 1k each for a proper setup that wouldn't choke quality and since I just practice at home and don't use the axe anywhere near it's full potential (no effects/tweaking) I figured I'd get a better tone from something like a fender twin or hot rod compared to my current setup and it's cheaper, but I do want a metal sound as well.

I just don't think the jcm is any good I don't know why it sounds so bad it really makes me think there's something wrong with it like the power amp is dead or something, it just has no body or depth to it, I spent money on mods and new tubes and it still sucks.

None of the suggestions are really grabbing me besides that black star but surely that would be a huge downgrade in tone from the axe? That's the last thing I want, I want a simpler more setup not an inferior one. I tried a couple blackstars years ago and I wasn't impressed from memory.

Here in Australia these old little generic vintage amps from the 50's/60's pop up every now and then, they're pure tube class A point to point amps and I've heard they're very good and compete with the best like the mark 4's. This is more for a blues sound though and strictly in terms of quality of tone, they have nothing on the mark 4 in feature wise usually most these amps would have is a volume knob and that's it perhaps a tone knob as well in some cases. Are they worth looking into I see brands like electrovox and goldentone etc another option I was also thinking about was building my own 5 watt fender champ as they're really simple however I've never built an amp before, would be good quality tone for a cheap price though!

I'm now thinking I'll just settle for a good blues/fenderish amp as I don't need a decent metal sound near as much as a blues sound, maybe I could even sort the jcm 900 out somehow and use that to play metal it was an expensive amp so it's a real shame it's currently a brick, it would be awesome if I could just use that, I really don't get how a high model marshall could sound so bad. I played an 800 and woah is the 900 crap in comparison!

I have heard Axe through a regular power amp/cab and it sounded great, mind you have to turn off that part of the modeling. I understand if it wasn't to your taste though. Please do consider the Randall RM22, there are so many modules available I'm certai you could find some excellent sounds. I know the have at least three different stock Fender modules, and tons more from modders.
you are in a tough situation. 1w is still really loud cranked for apartment living. I have a 5watt class 5 and have to attenuate that with a weber attenuator. I am in a similar position, I use pedals to achieve different tones.

Your situation is honestly really tough to get a good quality tone, attenuation will definitely help but it literally might be better for you to go back to digital in your situation. When i do play out (seldomly) a 5watt amp is more than plenty as I have never played a gig without a PA.

Good luck.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
someone correct me if im wrong, but I was under the impression that all the axefx 1 needed to work best was:

axefx -> interface -> pc -> daw(reaper) -> axe fx IR -> flat response studio monitors

this is NOT a $2k setup. Not quite sure how you were using it.

but again,for the money, the new POD HD500X is quite damn good. People have been comparing it to the AXEFX2 in some places. quite good for a home studio or practice amp so long as you get some decent speakers.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Last edited by bustapr at Feb 26, 2014,
Evh 5150iii combo you can turn down to 1 watt....
I don't want to make you feel bad, but..

You had Axe FX2 and Jcm900.

You never play the jcm and sits in a cupboard.

You need money to get good amp, or for monitors with axe fx..

It never crossed your mind to sell the JCM? Wut? Not the best amp, but wouldn't it have enough value to get decent monitors? You could even throw in the pedal and you would have enough money.

Reasoning is you need uber expensive monitors to get maximum mileage out off axe fx or (implied) it won't be worth it..

..yet you find it worthwhile to get a tube amp, where a lot of good amps automatically are not viable due to the fact you cannot crank to max potential.

Records are being produced with 600 bucks monitors, or like skrillex even on frigging headphones, I'm sure just a single guitar would suffice through aforementioned valued monitors

Have you checked if ur logic is still functioning as it should , sir?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 26, 2014,
Quote by ILLaViTaR

Not true at all. You could have put it in the loop of that JCM (with new power tubes perhaps), used some decent headphones, or some monitors starting at perhaps 250-300 bucks. I don't think you will find better tone for the bedroom than what you had with the axe.

With 2000 to spend, you could get a really nice custom made 1w tube amp probably, and it'll be an absolute blues beast. For metal, that 5150iii combo suggestion would be the ticket.
WTLTL 2011
Seems to me, and this is just from reputation not actual experience, that a Rectoverb could do what you need... Except maybe the cranked quietly part, I doubt any tube amp is gonna pull that off.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Look in to buying a Fender Champ or Princeton and possibly a distortion pedal for the metal tone(s). Wampler makes the Triple Wreck pedal that sounds pretty good...I don't really know what else to suggest...
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I don't want to make you feel bad, but..

You had Axe FX2 and Jcm900.

You never play the jcm and sits in a cupboard.

You need money to get good amp, or for monitors with axe fx..

It never crossed your mind to sell the JCM? Wut? Not the best amp, but wouldn't it have enough value to get decent monitors? You could even throw in the pedal and you would have enough money.

Reasoning is you need uber expensive monitors to get maximum mileage out off axe fx or (implied) it won't be worth it..

..yet you find it worthwhile to get a tube amp, where a lot of good amps automatically are not viable due to the fact you cannot crank to max potential.

Records are being produced with 600 bucks monitors, or like skrillex even on frigging headphones, I'm sure just a single guitar would suffice through aforementioned valued monitors

Have you checked if ur logic is still functioning as it should , sir?

It's not quite like that it's an Axe fx standard not a II and the monitors were at least $700 for sufficient ones (hs80's) and more for the better ones. The Marshall is sentimental as crap sounding as it is and I've owned it for half my life it was my first amp so it's not going anywhere I wouldn't get much for it anyway, it's also handy to just pickup and take somewhere to jam if I do so once in a blue moon but that's not the reason I keep it.

Trying the axe through the loop of the jcm 900 was my original plan when I bought the axe and it sounded horrible even with the cab emulators off and every tweak imaginable it sounded awful, the poweramp in the jcm 900 sounded terrible, a proper valve fr power amp was also around 1k, either that or monitors were around 1k further in budget, the other option was to spent $400 on some crappy krk monitors that although apparently good for the money really compromised the rest of the equipment.

The other thing is I got over 2k for the axe and the fireface, it's not an equal swap for new equipment I needed the money fr other things and am looking for a down grade to around the $1500 mark and for that price I figure I should be able get something on an amateur/bedroom level that sounds equally as good without all the extra/professional features. ie 1 speaker one channel, low watts, it has to be quiet but I'm not in an apartment I just don't want to annoy the neighbours. Years ago I considered an attenuator for the jcm 900 before I bought the axe but I don't really want to invest in the 900 unless it's tone can be improved somehow. The axe II has an interface built in so I could always just get one of those but I was really looking for a cheaper alternative and have some money left over for other things. After all I only really want a quality srv/mayerish blues tone (but ideally an american metal rhythm one as well) I don't need all the effects/sims/features I don't even need the capability to record it just seems like overkill for a bedroom guitarist. The other thing was even with monitors the feel isn't the same the guitar doesn't resonate the same/double up through the pickups if you know what I mean, this is worse again with headphones I'd need the flat eq power amp to get the same effect from the axe as I would a regular valve amp.
^ if you ask me, your best bet would have been buying a nice power amp plus a cab.
$1000 and you would have been set.
If you didn't need a mesa 4x12, $500 would have sufficed.

Anyway, for now, go having a listen to some mesa rectoverb.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Ahem, just to make sure it is brought to the attention of TS

RANDALL RM22

RANDALL RM22

RANDALL RM22
In case you don't mind the price tag, take a look at the marshall 1watt anniversary heads. The JCM1 or DSL1 should do blues/rock/metal along with a boost.
this is a bit off topic, but your jcm 900. how old is it? if youve "owned it half your life" then Im supposing its around 8+ years. older amps tend to have old caps, which often need replacing every decade or so. if you take it to an amp tech and ask him to "check and replace filter caps if needed" this would improve the tone alot. the filter caps are the 2 big cylinders next to the power tubes on the jcm(dont try to replace them yourself!).

the jcm 900 with attenuator should be a great setup for home practice.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Quote by bustapr
this is a bit off topic, but your jcm 900. how old is it? if youve "owned it half your life" then Im supposing its around 8+ years. older amps tend to have old caps, which often need replacing every decade or so. if you take it to an amp tech and ask him to "check and replace filter caps if needed" this would improve the tone alot. the filter caps are the 2 big cylinders next to the power tubes on the jcm(dont try to replace them yourself!).

the jcm 900 with attenuator should be a great setup for home practice.

Just out of curiousity, what are some symptoms of failing filter caps?
typically is 120hz hiss, buzz, or hum. radial caps like the ones found in a jcm 900 would start to form bumps of any size on the top metallic part, this is a good indicator to replace them.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Get a Mesa Mark V and keep the volume down.

You don't need to crank to sound good. Especially on a Mark.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by bustapr
typically is 120hz hiss, buzz, or hum. radial caps like the ones found in a jcm 900 would start to form bumps of any size on the top metallic part, this is a good indicator to replace them.

Ahhh, okay. Thanks!
What about the Laney Ironheart? I'm almost in the same situation as you. It seems it's a very decent amp, cheap and has a watt attenuator
Check out the Randall RM series the Captain isn't
Bullsh*ting. Great amps.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
A JCM900 can be modded to sound much better. You replace the clipper circuit in channel 2 with a 100k resistor and just rip the clipper in channel one out. Makes them quite a decent thing.
If you just use the fx loop in for your own preamp (ie. bypassing the JCM900 preamp) then there's nothing wrong with the power amp of a JCM900. It's basically identical to every other EL34 Marshall power amp on the planet. If it sounds bad, the tubes are ****ed.
Of course it aint no RM100, but few things are. Awesome power amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
People actually buy an AXE for bedroom jamming?? Wow! A bit of overkill perhaps?

Get an iphone with Guitar Rig and jam away. Fix the f'ing Marshall because it is a badass touring quality amp that is not feeling the love and find it a new home so it can gig proudly.

http://guitar-rig.en.softonic.com/
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 28, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
People actually buy an AXE for bedroom jamming?? Wow! A bit of overkill perhaps?

Get an iphone with Guitar Rig and jam away. Fix the f'ing Marshall because it is a badass touring quality amp that is not feeling the love and find it a new home so it can gig proudly.

http://guitar-rig.en.softonic.com/

I'm pretty sure that Native Instruments hasn't released a version of Guitar Rig for iOS yet?

That being said, there's always Garageband, PocketAmp, JamUp, Amplitube etc. etc.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by bustapr
someone correct me if im wrong, but I was under the impression that all the axefx 1 needed to work best was:

axefx -> interface -> pc -> daw(reaper) -> axe fx IR -> flat response studio monitors

this is NOT a $2k setup. Not quite sure how you were using it.

but again,for the money, the new POD HD500X is quite damn good. People have been comparing it to the AXEFX2 in some places. quite good for a home studio or practice amp so long as you get some decent speakers.

AxeFX-II ($2,200) -> Interface ($100) -> PC ($600) -> DAW(available for free) -> AxeFX IR ($20) -> Decent Studio Monitors ($350/pair)

So if you don't have any of this you are looking at $3270 roughly to pick it all up. Do tell me how you figure you can get it for less than $2,000. Even cutting out the bottom of the line computer will still leave you at almost $2,700. I would like to know because I will buy one of these cheap AxeFX units maybe even two...
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
I'm pretty stoked about my new Peavey Micro Head. 20 watts, 5 watts, or 1 watt, or speaker-defeat and USB out to your PC.

2 channels plus boost. built in reverb.

They are not easy to find yet, even though they were announce at NAMM last year. Would probably be perfect for what you are looking for. Current price in the USA is $429.

I bought mine in Canada on sale for quite a bit less than that.
Quote by ne14t
AxeFX-II ($2,200) -> Interface ($100) -> PC ($600) -> DAW(available for free) -> AxeFX IR ($20) -> Decent Studio Monitors ($350/pair)

So if you don't have any of this you are looking at $3270 roughly to pick it all up. Do tell me how you figure you can get it for less than $2,000. Even cutting out the bottom of the line computer will still leave you at almost $2,700. I would like to know because I will buy one of these cheap AxeFX units maybe even two...

The FX and the Ultra are available pretty regularly in the $1,000 range...only person talking about the II is you?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by ILLaViTaR
It was perfect but I needed another 2k at least to set it up to be on that level. The axe can't really run through an amp/cab unfortunately the tone suffers quite a bit, it needs frfr's at the very least or a flat eq poweramp/cab and these were over 1k each for a proper setup that wouldn't choke quality

*Boggle*

I have an older Axe Fx Ultra (and some Pods). I often just run the thing into a pair of KRK Rokit 8 powered monitors (which are FRFR). I know the Fractal folks want to sell you a CLR or two, but honestly, that's not necessary and especially not for a bedroom. I recently picked up the KRKs for about $150 each (mine are Gen 2s and they were selling them off to make room for the Gen3s, which have another 10 watts of power or so and another knob on the back). Honestly, I have a relatively small and cheap mixer that handles a Bass Pod XT, the Axe, a Pod HD and a couple of keyboards, and THAT goes into the monitors. For playing out, I just pull the monitors off and sub in a 1500W power amp and a pair of fEARless F115s (FRFR with more bottom end available than the CLRs ever thought of generating).
Page 1 of 2