So pit,

In a few weeks/months Festivals will begin again. This will be a thread to discuss festivals.

Have you ever been to one? if not, why not? if you have, how was it?
What's the best festival you've been to?
What festival are you going to this year?
What bands/artists/macbook "artists"/other acts are you hoping to see?

Share your craziest festival stories!
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
I went to Warped Tour a few years back. Some monk gave me a giant book but I lost it in a mosh pit during TDWP's set.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Meh, they always seem like alot of money just to watch a couple bands I like & a bunch of bands I've never heard of.
Quote by AxeToFall
Meh, they always seem like alot of money just to watch a couple bands I like & a bunch of bands I've never heard of.

Compared to the price of a headline concert by 1 artist you'd wanna watch, with (mostly) a crappy support band... A festival is way cheaper, if you pick a festival with enough bands you want to see.
Also the atmosphere/mood at a concert is not as laid back as on a festival (in my experience anyway)
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
So pit,

In a few weeks/months Festivals will begin again. This will be a thread to discuss festivals.

Have you ever been to one? if not, why not? if you have, how was it?
What's the best festival you've been to?
What festival are you going to this year?
What bands/artists/macbook "artists"/other acts are you hoping to see?

Share your craziest festival stories!

Been every year to at least one since I was 15 (now 23). They are my favourite time of the year as all my friends get back together aswell as various groups of people we know who will camp nearby. Then you just get absolutely shitfaced in a field for 5 days and sleep an average of 2 hours a night while eating burritos, burgers and pot noodles.

Great music, lots of beer, lawless attitude and all your mates.

Glastonbury is my favorite festival purely because it has everything and everything is done well.

This year if i can get a ticket i'll go to glastonbury but I will hopefully go to Boomtown fair which has a lot smaller names but it has a fantastic party atmosphere and the bands are picked on their ability to rock a festival than on their albums.
Festivals are great. I've never been to any of the really big events, but a city nearby hosts a Jazz festival every so often. It's super fun, with three different stages, and it's set in the middle of a park, so there's plenty of beautiful countryside to look at. All the people are incredibly friendly, too.

I was planning on going to South by So What this year, but I had to devote my funds to something else, so that's probably not going to happen.
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
Compared to the price of a headline concert by 1 artist you'd wanna watch, with (mostly) a crappy support band...

That's why small venues trump blowout concerts. Usually 2 or 3 good bands for no more than $25, hardly comparable to festival prices
Last edited by AxeToFall at Feb 26, 2014,
Been to Sauna Open Air back in 2010 (headliners Kiss, Danzig & Sonata Arctica) and this year I'm going to Tuska Open Air with Phillip H. Anselmo & The Illegals, Anthrax, Dimmu Borgir, Children of Bodom etc.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
This thread just reminded me of Boonstock. I've been thinking of buying tickets this year but it moved from Alberta to BC this year because some city council got super butthurt. $225 for a three day pass NOT including camp passes. Pretty steep.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by AxeToFall
That's why small venues trump blowout concerts. Usually 2 or 3 good bands for no more than $25, hardly comparable to festival prices

+1, 100% agree

Though, the only festival I've been to was Warped Tour and I can't say I enjoyed myself enough to go again. Even at $65 for a ticket and seeing probably 20 sets, I'd much rather go see a $15 show in a bar or some smaller venue and get to watch a band I actually want to see play a full hour set. I have a few friends who enjoy going to festivals and rave about how much fun the experience is. I guess it is more than just seeing bands and musicians, it's as much about the camping and atmosphere.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
I'm working at Download this year as a friend of a friend is organising the bar work there. Pretty sure I'm getting paid, as well as a free ticket. Shitty line up though, apart from Sikth and a few others. Applied to a bunch with my bands, as a poet and as kids entertainers but haven't heard back from any yet, really hope I get into some (especially Boomtown) as I haven't paid for a festival in years and I don't want to start now.
Quote by korinaflyingv
I'm working at Download this year as a friend of a friend is organising the bar work there. Pretty sure I'm getting paid, as well as a free ticket. Shitty line up though, apart from Sikth and a few others. Applied to a bunch with my bands, as a poet and as kids entertainers but haven't heard back from any yet, really hope I get into some (especially Boomtown) as I haven't paid for a festival in years and I don't want to start now.

Unless they announce some "warm-up" dates, I'm getting a Download ticket just for these guys. If they're even half as good as they were before they split up, it'll be more than worth it.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Shaky Knees Festival and the Sweetwater 420 Festival in Atlanta Ga! Massive lineups. But no camping...even if you could I wouldn't.
My friend's gf passed out at warped tour, it was pretty scary. Cause you don't know if her heart just stopped or whatever.
I'm pretty excited about Common Ground this year. Say Anything, 311, OPM, and some others I can't think of right now. I'm not a huge fan of Brand New, but they'll be there too. It's gonna be hard to top last year (Awolnation, 21 Pilots, and MGMT), but I'm still pretty stoked.

There was also a smaller hard rock festival closer to my hometown last year that had some pretty good bands like Psychostick, Taproot, Candlebox, Saliva, and some others, but apparently the guy who ran the whole thing was embezzling money and not paying bands, so the city is shutting it down.
Shit all festivals here. I've enjoyed the few I've been to but it isn't really to the same scale. I don't really get that kind of atmosphere considering the scale of the average gig I go to. The bands I like don't seem to be popular enough to charge a lot or go to big venues, which is actually quite nice.
Only ones I'm going to atm aren't the whole camping type festivals. Going Camden Rocks and going Jabberwocky, which are both long day/weekend ones in London.

Never been to the middle of nowhere type festival with the camping and such. Was thinking of going Sonisphere because it's only a short rail ride from me so I need not camp but £60 per day is a bit too much just for only a few bands I care about. I couldn't really pick a day I'd go more than others. Plus, I'm not sure they even do one day tickets, the site was only advertising full £180 weekend tickets.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
The town I lived in had a broccoli festival but it wasnt that fun. I plan on going to the Gilroy Garlic festival sometime though.
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by Andrea55
The town I lived in had a broccoli festival but it wasnt that fun. I plan on going to the Gilroy Garlic festival sometime though.

This reminds me, me and a mate are gona be filming the British Asparagus Festival this year, as well as their music festival, Asparafest. I'm not sure if it's going to be as awesome as it sounds...

Quote by metacarpi
Unless they announce some "warm-up" dates, I'm getting a Download ticket just for these guys. If they're even half as good as they were before they split up, it'll be more than worth it.

Init, I'm just paranoid they're going to split up again after Download or something. I do hope they do do some warmup dates though, would be sweet if they played here, they're only from down the road after all.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Feb 26, 2014,
Quote by korinaflyingv
This reminds me, me and a mate are gona be filming the British Asparagus Festival this year, as well as their music festival, Asparafest. I'm not sure if it's going to be as awesome as it sounds...

Init, I'm just paranoid they're going to split up again after Download or something. I do hope they do do some warmup dates though, would be sweet if they played here, they're only from down the road after all.

Asparafest sounds fun! But yeah check out the food booths. I love asparagus so I'm sure there will be awesome cooks there and if you're filming you might get a discount on food if you show the booths and mention the restaurants or cooks.
STಠ_ಠ
Went to Reading in 2012 and 2013. I went in 2012 because I liked the bands there and I went in 2013 because all my friends, and friends of friends, were going. I won't be going this year despite my all my friends going because last year the number of people was far too high to enjoy it. Plus I didn't like many bands. And it's basically another £300+ to go again.......

BUT done correctly with great friends and great bands they're totally worth it.
Never been to one.

Well, I went to this that used to be free in Newcastle quite a few years back. It was alright. I really want to go to Tomorrowland but it sells out so quickly. Was thinking about Creamfields this year but I probably don't have the money for it right now since I have other stuff on in summer.

Theres this one day thing on up here in May with a load of house music, so I'll probably go to that.

A lot of the line ups for Glasto and stuff haven't appealed to me that much in the last few years though so I wouldn't pay the money to go for the sake of a couple of bands.
Best festival I've been to is the HFStival in Baltimore/DC. Up until a couple years ago they had it just about every year since 1990. The best bands I've seen at them:

Counting Crows
Ramones
Soul Asylum
Bush
Foo Fighters
Everclear
Beck
Third Eye Blind
Green Day
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
The Offspring
Blink-182
Run DMC
Fuel
Rage Against The Machine
Cypress Hill
Godsmack
Deftones
Staind
Tenacious D
Sevendust
Saliva
Stabbing Westward
Eminem
P.O.D.
Audioslave
Janes's Addiction
AFI
The Cure
Jay-Z
Billy Idol
Social Distortion
New York Dolls
Kanye West
I had a friend one time that took a water bottle to the head at the Warped Tour (at the beginning of the day) and had to go to the medical tent...turns out she needed stitches. Pretty lame way to spend 60 bucks.
Never been to a festival but I am pretty bummed reading isnt selling day tickets anymore

And even then I wouldnt know what day to go to Blink or AM
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
I'm not so much into going to music festivals myself. I went to download in 2009 and it wasn't for me. I don't like camping or dirt or huge crowds of dirty campers.

I am, however, on the arts & installations organisation team for a quite big upcoming festival in the UK and ima make it look pretty
Quote by Andrea55
Asparafest sounds fun! But yeah check out the food booths. I love asparagus so I'm sure there will be awesome cooks there and if you're filming you might get a discount on food if you show the booths and mention the restaurants or cooks.

Yeah it should be coo', asparagus is pretty much my favourite vegetable. I'm just really hoping for some drama. Like the whole contest being rigged or farmers poisoning each other's crops or something.

Quote by captainsnazz
I'm not so much into going to music festivals myself. I went to download in 2009 and it wasn't for me. I don't like camping or dirt or huge crowds of dirty campers.

I am, however, on the arts & installations organisation team for a quite big upcoming festival in the UK and ima make it look pretty

What festival is that?
I'm considering volunteering at bonnaroo for the experience, free music, internship and scholarship opportunities...
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

To the pit because i don't feel like doing real life.
I've been to bonnaroo twice. 2011 and 13. i'm sick of it. i am hoping to go to counterpoint and waka this year.

Quote by captainsnazz
Huddlefest. It's gonna be in Huddersfield at the end of summer. I can't really say much about it yet except that it's gonna be a ~10k people outdoor festival with reasonably big acts, but there will be something on www.huddlefest.co.uk at some point soon I assume.

Uhm yeh bruv I'll come DJ and the gf will do some cool visual things and it'll be sick

yeah sweet see you there