Like the title says, I am going on a 1 month business trip next week. I will be bringing my guitar but definitely not going to be dragging an amp along, so I want some sort of small & inexpensive device which will fill in for an amp. I have really no idea what I'm getting into here, so I'm open to any suggestions.

Price and size are the most important factors for me - sound and fancy features don't really matter, I'll be home to my usual setup in a month and probably never use it again. All I want out of it is some sharp Slayer-ish distortion.

I know there are things like the ART Tconnect, which is just a mono jack-to-USB cable which you plug in to your computer, and then I assume you use an amp simulator program with it, but I'm not sure if you can actually use that to get real-time headphone monitoring or if it's just for recording... A headphone amp seems like it'd be good too if they offer enough distortion. Never used one.

Anyways, any suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks
Moved to the correct forum

Please read the interface sticky at the top.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
As well as the interfaces sticky to play through your PC, if you just want a way to practice using headphones you could also consider a Vox Amplug.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Well as it probably says in the stickies

This is the Behringer UCG 102, you'll probably find one for like $20. There might be better options or a newer model. I got one a few years back and I bring this along for travel as well, it's just small and convenient. You need a virtual amp, should be some alright ones in Amplitube free - you'll get a completely OK tone for practicing with this.

You can probably get it done with just a noname 4$ USB guitar plug as well but it might take some fidgeting around with 3rd party software to get it to work with your regular soundcard + it might suck.
Quote by fanapathy
Well as it probably says in the stickies

This is the Behringer UCG 102, you'll probably find one for like $20. There might be better options or a newer model. I got one a few years back and I bring this along for travel as well, it's just small and convenient. You need a virtual amp, should be some alright ones in Amplitube free - you'll get a completely OK tone for practicing with this.

You can probably get it done with just a noname 4$ USB guitar plug as well but it might take some fidgeting around with 3rd party software to get it to work with your regular soundcard + it might suck.

+1 I have the same setup with amplitube 3 and a MIM strat...sooo good
Found a Steinberg CI1 used for $60 so I'm probably gonna go with that... I'll go check it out later today